• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Making emotions go away

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I may be a little late with my reply, and I don't have time to read all the others...BUT...
The way we INTP's tend to ignore feelings is not necessarily a good thing. I have read in several places we have the least amount of coping resources available of all the types. We still have feelings, and they still affect us, we just usually rationalize them & ignore them if they don't make sense. I don't know about all the other INTP's, but this usually causes for me a HUGE overload of ignored emotions that eventually build up & explode. The explosion usually comes at a time of stress & then here comes that inferior Fe person that we hate. ;)

Anyhow, on the practical side of things, have you tried cutting out sugar (& white things in general) & maybe cut back on the caffeine? Even something simple like that can help with mood swings BIG TIME. Also, like the others said exercise is always a good idea.

One other thing I used to tell my ex-hubs a lot (INFJ) was to try & put himself in the shoes of someone else & try to imagine all the possibilities of what they may be going through that caused them to react to you in a negative manner. The possibilities are endless. It's best when others cause you distress to realize that all you can do is control yourself. Although, this may not contribute much to your stress, but I am assuming it does...you being INFJ & all. :)

Thanks for the thorough reply. :) All that sounds just like me, which is one reason I originally thought I was INTP. (Ni-Ti loop?) Yes, I have a very healthy diet. I avoid processed food as much as possible. I still eat sugar, but probably not as much as the average person because I don't consume high fructose corn syrup and drink soft drinks and stuff. As for caffeine, I do think that's a contributing factor. I used to drink green tea every day at work, and didn't think about it having a lot of caffeine in it because I don't drink caffeinated coffee or anything; when I realized it, I stopped, and now I feel a lot better. I don't suffer mood swings really; it's more like what you describe. Still though, stress can be an issue.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
For me, it helps to connect to the part of me that's calm and rational WHILE I'm experiencing a strong emotion. For me, it's fear. So I get overwhelmed by fear and I start thinking a million thoughts, many of which are concerned with bypassing the fear. But I get stuck in that, and as a result, can't do whatever it is I want to be doing (listening, flirting, speaking, being creative, etc.). BUT, if I can remember that I'm actually a calm rational person, I can experience the emotion without getting lost in it or needing to rush through it. Eventually it subsides and I'm fine. If you need more information, read about mindfulness. It's the same thing essentially.

COLORATURA

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for the thorough reply. :) All that sounds just like me, which is one reason I originally thought I was INTP. (Ni-Ti loop?) Yes, I have a very healthy diet. I avoid processed food as much as possible. I still eat sugar, but probably not as much as the average person because I don't consume high fructose corn syrup and drink soft drinks and stuff. As for caffeine, I do think that's a contributing factor. I used to drink green tea every day at work, and didn't think about it having a lot of caffeine in it because I don't drink caffeinated coffee or anything; when I realized it, I stopped, and now I feel a lot better. I don't suffer mood swings really; it's more like what you describe. Still though, stress can be an issue.

What made you decide for sure you weren't INTP, and in fact, were INFJ?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, it helps to connect to the part of me that's calm and rational WHILE I'm experiencing a strong emotion. For me, it's fear. So I get overwhelmed by fear and I start thinking a million thoughts, many of which are concerned with bypassing the fear. But I get stuck in that, and as a result, can't do whatever it is I want to be doing (listening, flirting, speaking, being creative, etc.). BUT, if I can remember that I'm actually a calm rational person, I can experience the emotion without getting lost in it or needing to rush through it. Eventually it subsides and I'm fine. If you need more information, read about mindfulness. It's the same thing essentially.

That sounds good.
What made you decide for sure you weren't INTP, and in fact, were INFJ?

Forum politics.