• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Quote Preferences

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Knowing NTs for most of my life, I admire how they hold truth and reason as the primary source for action.

However, I've been wondering about the differing ways in which they present truth using their various functions.

So, what do you think about these quotes? And which NT type do you think tends to prefer the verbose quote over the other (or vice-versa)?

"Truth is simple. It has no clothes, no boundaries to define it. But we cannot grasp the immaculately simple. We cannot perceive truth without clothing. So Truth dresses up for us, in a story, in sage advice, in a blueprint of the cosmos. And then, before we can imagine that we have grasped Truth, it switches clothes. It tells us another story—entirely at odds with the first. It provides us new advice—to go in a different direction. It displays another model of how things are—in which each thing has changed its place. The fool is confused. He says, “Truth has lied!” The wise person sees within and finds a simple, pure light, unfettered by the neurons of the human mind." - the Rebbe, Menachem Mendel Schneerson

or

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks!
:bye:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think of all the NT types the most likely to remember quotes verbatim would be INTP and I also think NTs and especially INTPs can write in very long and technical terms which can appear very convoluted though in actuality to an adept reader it should strike him with full and complete clarity.

Your 1st quote might be an NT quote though your 2nd quote which is the short one definitely was written by an ISTJ.

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
I think of all the NT types the most likely to remember quotes verbatim would be INTP and I also think NTs and especially INTPs can write in very long and technical terms which can appear very convoluted though in actuality to an adept reader it should strike him with full and complete clarity.

Your 1st quote might be an NT quote though your 2nd quote which is the short one definitely was written by an ISTJ.

Oh, I only put the Winston Churchill quote there because I was thinking more about conciseness here. :blush:

I was just thinking more in terms of which NT type would prefer longer (but clearer and more explicated) quotes rather than short, succinct ones that don't necessarily need further explanation (perhaps INTJs?).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP quotes:

Last sentence of a mathematical theorem in his notebook:]
Da Vinci: "Perche la minesstra si fredda."
("Whatever - the soup is getting cold.")

Da Vinci: "People of accomplishment rarely sit back and let things happen to them. They go out in the world and happen to things."

Da Vinci: "It is a great fault in painters to repeat the same movements, the same faces and [the same] manners. [Why they do so] has often been a source of wonder to me."

Da Vinci: "A man ... should not be loath to hear every opinion ... and consider whether he who blames has good grounds to blame you, and if you think that he has, amend your ways; and if not ... show him by reasoning where his mistake lies."

Freud: "My book on Leonardo is the only beautiful thing I have ever written."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/entp.php

Da Vinci: "Many will consider they can reasonably blame me by alleging that my proofs are contrary to the authority of many men held in great esteem."

Da Vinci: "He is a poor master whose work is exalted in his own opinion, and he is on the road to perfection in art whose work falls short of his ideal."

Da Vinci: "Men of worth naturally desire knowledge."

Da Vinci: "There exists among the foolish ... hypocrites who continually seek to deceive themselves and others, but others more than themselves, though in reality they deceive themselves more than others."

Da Vinci: "Words which do not satisfy the ear of the listener will always weary or annoy him; and you will often see signs of this in such listeners in their frequent yawns. Therefore, you who speak before men whose good opinion you seek, when you observe such signs of vexation, shorten your speech or vary your argument; and if you do otherwise, then instead of the favor you seek you will incur hate and hostility."

Da Vinci: "I do not consider that men of coarse and boorish habits ... deserve so fine an instrument nor such a complicated mechanism [as the voice] as men of contemplation and high culture. They merely need a sack in which their food may be held ... since verily they cannot be considered otherwise than as vehicles for food, for they seem to me to have nothing in common with the human race save the shape and the voice; as far as the rest is concerned they are lower than the beasts."

Da Vinci: "I was always destined to so deeply identify with birds of prey."

Da Vinci: "Far greater is the glory of the virtue of mortals than that of their riches. How many emperors and how many princes have lived and died and no record of them remains, and they only sought to gain dominions and riches in order that their fame might be ever-lasting. ... Do you not see that wealth in itself confers no honor on him who amasses it, which shall last when he is dead, as does knowledge - knowledge which shall always bear witness like a clarion to its creator, since knowledge is the daughter of its creator, and not the stepdaughter, like wealth."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/quotes/leonardo-da-vinci.php

ENTJ quotes:

Sagan: "Valid criticism is doing you a favor."

Sagan: "[We should not be] willing to tolerate ignorance and complacency."

Sagan: "The popularization of science that Isaac Asimov did so well - the communication not just of the findings but of the methods of science - seems to me as natural as breathing."

Sagan: "[We should not] value short-term advantages [but] think on longer time scales."

Keay Davidson: "[Sagan] had titanic goals and he fully intended to achieve them."

Gentry Lee: "Sagan never really showed vulnerability."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/entj.php

Ronald Blum: "He was a brilliant, far-ranging intellect with uncommon literary gifts who often seemed curiously immature and totally self-centered."

Donald Menzel: "[Sagan] has impressive ambition and breadth of knowledge."

Ronald Blum: "He was slightly detached. ... He was autonomous, self-sufficient."

Ronald Blum: "He felt it was a requirement of his intellectual commitment to be rigidly honest [and] very intolerant of anything irrational."

Keay Davidson: "[Sagan] had titanic goals and he fully intended to achieve them."

[His first wife:] "He never listened to anything on any kind of emotional level. ... He was ... untouched and untouchable."

[His second wife:] "[If you knew him] it was clear how emotional his 'logic' or erudition was."

Jim Cornell: "He appeared to adress you, not as an individual, but as a member of the public."

Gentry Lee: "[Sagan] would go into what we called his 'Delphic Oracle' mode [where] he'd seem to be saying, 'O hear me, you of little ability.' When Carl was in his Delphic oracle mode, he knew everything about everything."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/quotes/carl-sagan.php

INTJ quotes:

Nietzsche: "What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power, power itself in man. What is bad? All that proceeds from weakness."

Nietzsche: "I am not a man, I am dynamite!"

Nietzsche: "Active, successful natures shun the dictum 'know thyself' and follow the commandment: 'Will thyself.'"

Nietzsche: "One should not know more about a thing than one can digest creatively."

Nietzsche: "Not all men ought to be free. There are many who threw off their final worth when they threw off their bondage."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/intj.php

Nietzsche: "Knowledge for knowledge's sake is just as barbarous as hatred of knowledge. [Knowledge must be] tamed to fit with life, so that one may live what one has learned."

Nietzsche: "Those who follow the wormy commandments of empiricism creep near to the ground."

Nietzsche: "Posterity has not been able to add anything significant to the archetypes that were the first Greek philosophers."

Nietzsche: "Thales, Anaximander, Heraclitus, Parmenides, Anaxagoras, Democritus, and Socrates - together they constitute what Schopenhauer has called a 'republic of geniuses' - as opposed to a [mere] republic of learned men."

Nietzsche: "Thales, Anaximander, Heraclitus, Parmenides, Anaxagoras, Democritus, and Socrates: These are the philosophically 'pure' types. Everything else, from Plato and onwards, is mixture and imitation."

Nietzsche: "The philosophers who suceeded the old masters [from Thales to Socrates were] too versatile."

Nietzsche: "Plato is the first of the greats amongst the mixed types. ... Since Plato, philosophy has been in exile."

Nietzsche: "Some people believe in a special providence for books; a fatum libellorum: Yet it would have to be a terribly cruel fate ... [which] robbed us of Heraclitus ... and gave us ... Cicero instead."

Nietzsche: "Goethe did not study history in order to know. He did it to awaken within himself a sense of wonder."

Nietzsche: "The reason Xenophanes attacked Homer in his poetry was not [as he stated] because he disagreed with Homer's morality, but because he wanted to surpass and wrest the torch from Homer, the national hero of poetry."

Nietzsche: "It is with Xenophanes that [the credo of] individual freedom reaches its maximum [in antiquity]."

Nietzsche: "But how could the German language [ever] imitate the tempo of Machiavelli, who in his 'The Prince' makes us breathe the dry, fine air of Florence, and cannot help presenting the most serious events in a boisterous allegrissimo, perhaps not without a malicious artistic sense of the contrast he presents - long, heavy, difficult, dangerous thoughts, and a tempo of the gallop, and of the best, wantonest humour."

source - http://www.celebritytypes.com/quotes/friedrich-nietzsche.php

INTP quotes:

The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness. ( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. (Albert Einstein)

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954) From Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of Nature, and therefore this holds for the action of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a Supernatural Being. (Albert Einstein, 1936) Responding to a child who wrote and asked if scientists pray. Source: Albert Einstein: The Human Side, Edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffmann

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. (Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature. (Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbour such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms. (Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein) Following his wife's advice in responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the International Synagogue in New York, who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding Do you believe in God? Quoted from and citation notes derived from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? (draft: 2001), chapter 3.

One strength of the Communist system ... is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion. (Albert Einstein, Out Of My Later Years, 1950)

source - http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Albert-Einstein-Quotes.htm

I was particularly won over by his sweet disposition, by his general kindness, by his simplicity, and by his friendliness. Occasionally, gaiety would gain the upper hand and he would strike a more personal note and even disclose some detail of his day-to-day life. Then again, reverting to his characteristic mood of reflection and meditation, he would launch into a profound and original discussion of a variety of scientific and other problems. I shall always remember the enchantment of all those meetings, from which I carried away an indelible impression of Einstein's great human qualities.
Louis de Broglie, New Perspectives in Physics, p. 182
Like many other great scientists he does not fit the boxes in which popular polemicists like to pigeonhole him. ... It is clear for example that he had respect for the religious values enshrined within Judaic and Christian traditions ... but what he understood by religion was something far more subtle than what is usually meant by the word in popular discussion.
John Brooke, as quoted in "Childish superstition: Einstein's letter makes view of religion relatively clear" in The Guardian (13 May 2008)
Einstein was a giant. His head was in the clouds, but his feet were on the ground. Those of us who are not so tall have to choose!
Richard Feynman, as quoted in Collective Electrodynamics : Quantum Foundations of Electromagnetism (2002) by Carver A. Mead, p. xix
Men like Einstein proclaim obvious truths about war but are not listened to. So long as Einstein is unintelligible, he is thought wise, but as soon as he says anything that people can understand, it is thought that his wisdom has departed from him.
Bertrand Russell, Do Governments Desire War? (1932), a newspaper article for the "New York American" (as quoted in Mortals and Others, v.1, 1975)
I like quoting Einstein. Know why? Because nobody dares contradict you.
Studs Terkel, as quoted in "Voice of America" in The Guardian (1 March 2002)
Einstein explained his theory to me every day, and on my arrival I was fully convinced that he understood it.
Attributed to Chaim Weizmann, after a long trans-Atlantic journey; Simpson's Contemporary Quotations (6822) credits Nigel Calder, Einstein's Universe (1979); a slightly different version appears in David Bodanis, E=mc², which credits Carl Seelig, Albert Einstein: A Documentary Biography (1956), pp. 80–81
[H]is work revolved around three rules which apply to all science, our problems, and times:
1. Out of clutter, find simplicity;
2. From discord make harmony; and finally
3. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
John Archibald Wheeler, interviewed in Cosmic Search Vol. 1, No. 4 (Fall 1979). The three principles are sometimes attributed to Einstein himself, but no source can be found showing that Einstein stated them, and Wheeler didn't indicate in the interview whether he was quoting something Einstein had told him or giving his own description of how Einstein worked.
It did not last:the Devil howling 'Ho!Let Einstein be!'restored the status quo.
J.C.Squire(1884-1958)'In continuation of Pope on Newton'(1926)

source - http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

You make your own judgments on these quotes assuming the people who said all of that stuff really were those types.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Truth (as it exists as an idea in peoples minds) is a complex existential summary of subjectivism. Fact is situational.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm pretty bad at remembering quotes verbatim and I generally prefer shorter more concise quotes. I read over the first one and my mind started to wander like I've got ADD or something.

A

A window to the soul

Knowing NTs for most of my life, I admire how they hold truth and reason as the primary source for action.

However, I've been wondering about the differing ways in which they present truth using their various functions.

So, what do you think about these quotes? And which NT type do you think tends to prefer the verbose quote over the other (or vice-versa)?

or

Thanks!
:bye:

Quote 1 is a profound truth seeking mission. I dig it. I don't care for quote 2's narrow-minded simplicity and reference to, "In the end, there it is."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ENTJ seems least likely to prefer verbosity, though that is an oversimplification. For myself, it depends upon the purpose and circumstance. I often prefer a longer explanation when I am trying to learn something, presuming the additional words actually convey additional information. I will often then condense this into a short statement for sharing or reporting to others. In general, my first statement on something tends to be short and succinct. If anyone wants my rationale or background information, though, I will readily give them the long version, but it will be rather more structured and less metaphorical than your first quote. (That actually reads more NF to me.)