• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs care about anything outside of logic?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
NTs are always saying how such and such is illogical, I just wonder if NTs embrace anything that can't be explained by logic.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Logic is what we understand and trust the most. But there are lots of things that I value outside of the purely logical. There are things that I believe that are faith-based, for instance. And love is certainly not a function of pure logic.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Food's nice, but I suppose it's logical to like food.

explain this logically:

38dc.jpg

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy art which I see as a non-thinking activity. Since logic is a thinking activity, I guess, logically speaking, it's a-logical. (Snap!)

The better question is, as I see it, whether an NT is willing to accept propositions or ideas that are illogical (not just a-logical). That's going to be a lot trickier. I can't say I have. I can respect some propositions that are illogical or paradoxical (Zen is filled with them, so's Hinduism; all mystical traditions, I'd bet) but deep down I think there's some order lurking. That's not the same as LOGIC (which I think is really an issue of consistency in thought and observation) but it's not illogical, either.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Do you really think love's illogical?

Hm. Actually. This is going to run into a matter of semantics (Kiddo's favorite). Is logic a THOUGHT process, or is logic some greater order in the universe that we just tap into? If logic is a thought process, then love is somewhat logical, but mostly emotional, I'd agree. But is logic is some universal order, then love is very logical and understandable as some evolutionary mechanism to promote continuity. But that definition of logic, methinks, is too broad and really would encompass everything in the universe which run along the lines of cause and effect. Wah.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
NTs are always saying how such and such is illogical, I just wonder if NTs embrace anything that can't be explained by logic.

An NT would have to be very one dimensional to only use that facet. Remember, NT is just a preference, so many NT's will enjoy stimulating their sensory side with a pleasant scent, or music. Or will love their children or training their pets.

In short, people are too multi dimensional to treat as having only one face and functional aspect.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Talluah, Dana, and Geoff can you expand on how love is not a function of logic?

Nozflubber, I don't know many NTs who are into fashion.

Edahn, art is the product of human creativity. Are you suggesting that creativity isn't logical?

Geoff, you just provided a logical explanation for why NTs would enjoy sensations. How does that explain why NTs would accept something that isn't logical? Are you saying that stimulation isn't logical?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From my observations:

When an NT says they can't accept something, they mean their reason can't accept it. They may well value something even if they insist it isn't logical. Because they have a strong desire to keep what they value separate from their sense of what is true, so that their sense of what is true doesn't become "polluted" too much by their own values. In other words, they have values, they just don't totally trust them the way they do their reason.

I think you could say that they naturally tend to focus on logic rather than the other things they care about, although they may well care about other things.

Note this is just a guess based on my observations, and it may be completely wrong.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I find when NTs can't justify their values with reason, they objectify them and claim they exist as natural laws or standards in the objective world. Then they can reason that anyone who doesn't follow them is both immoral and irrational.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
We may care about some other people. We INTJs will probably try to generate logical reasons for this and cite them when asked, though.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I find when NTs can't justify their values with reason, they objectify them and claim they exist as natural laws or standards in the objective world. Then they can reason that anyone who doesn't follow them is both immoral and irrational.

Do you think you might be generalizing here?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
We may care about some other people. We INTJs will probably try to generate logical reasons for this and cite them when asked, though.

So in other words, you can't truly accept something until you have a logical reason for it? Even if you have to generate them yourself?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Kiddo, if you are NF, do you care about anything outside of ethics/emotion?

I'm sure that you do.
As such, you should be able to answer this question for NTs yourself.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Faith, as a philosophical ideal.

Assembling a system of belief without empirical proof.

I suppose the application of which could be as simple as (to your example) having a reasonable belief that I'll wake up tomorrow. On a larger scale, the concept of faith could be diversified to incorporate an enduring reliance on...of all things, academic empiricism. (Logic)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Do you think you might be generalizing here?

Making generalization about the personality type? What gave you that idea?

Kiddo, if you are NF, do you care about anything outside of ethics/emotion?

I'm sure that you do.
As such, you should be able to answer this question for NTs yourself.

Hm...good question. I'll get back to you on that.

Night said:
Faith, as a philosophical ideal.

Assembling a system of belief without empirical proof.

I suppose the application of which could be as simple as (to your example) having a reasonable belief that I'll wake up tomorrow. On a larger scale, the concept of faith could be diversified to incorporate an enduring reliance on...of all things, academic empiricism. (Logic)

Please, provide me some examples of things you accept on faith.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Faith in Kiddo's ability to dramaticize something as dull as logic?

:p

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Talluah, Dana, and Geoff can you expand on how love is not a function of logic?

Nozflubber, I don't know many NTs who are into fashion.

Edahn, art is the product of human creativity. Are you suggesting that creativity isn't logical?

Geoff, you just provided a logical explanation for why NTs would enjoy sensations. How does that explain why NTs would accept something that isn't logical? Are you saying that stimulation isn't logical?

Kiddo, I fear you misunderstand me. I am suggesting that there is no such thing as an NT who only uses logic. Like it or not, they'll all use other functions to embrace stuff. So there is no way of answering the question - it would require finding an NT that doesn't possess emotions, or sexual drives or any of the other complex things that make all humans alive.