• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP or ENTP?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I originally tested as INTJ but after reading up on MBTI types I felt like I was better matched with INTP. Now I'm wondering if I could be just a shy ENTP?

Any thoughts on differentiating or input about what my type might be?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
why do you think that you might be an ENTP(or INTP)?

it might be kinda hard to tell an INTP from ENTP in some cases unless you have someone(whos internal workings you know reasonably well) of the other type to compare yourself to. with the case of reasonably introverted ENTP, you can see the difference to INTP by looking at Si/Fe, both Ne and Ti are usually pretty well differentiated in introverted ENTP and INTP close to being E, so there isnt that much(visible from outside) difference on that sector. INTPs tend to use intuitions to support thinking, while ENTPs tend to use thinking to support their intuitions. but with well differentiated Ti and Ne, it can go both ways quite often and its not easy to spot the difference.

do you know any ENTPs or INTPs to who you could compare yourself to?

i was thinking of trying to explain some differences between me and my ENTP friend(who isnt very extraverted and would probably score I>E in big 5), but the differences are so subtle that its not easy to give a clear differences. but some of the things are: he is more into sports(doesent mind to go swimming by himself or do that sort of stuff, i feel very awkward going to swimming hall, at beach or doing pretty much any activity on my own), he is less shy(but its not very apparent, since he isnt the sort of guy who babbles much anyways and i dont really get shy in real time, just when anticipating things, so its just that it sometimes inhibits me from starting things and doesent show in the actual interactions), dominating might be a wrong word but its kinda like he more freely interacts with the external world and doesent think so much about what others think about if he does this or that etc. , he is sort of more at home in the external world and interactions with it, while i am more careful, like on someone elses territory. when solving a puzzle, he tries different things till he gets it right or figures it out, i try to think before every move(which kinda shows the difference in our relations to external world). if we get excited about something and talk, i dont think you see much of difference between us, same if we are contemplating on problem etc.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your posts read as more systematic and linear than an ENTP. Ne-doms can be quite non-linear.

Edit: Ti-dom seems quite likely for you just based on the posts I've read, and for some reason you seem significantly more like an INTP than an INTJ.

W

WALMART

You've always struck me as INTP, though to be honest, my conceptual understanding of extroversion and introversion is way fucked up.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
why do you think that you might be an ENTP(or INTP)?

it might be kinda hard to tell an INTP from ENTP in some cases unless you have someone(whos internal workings you know reasonably well) of the other type to compare yourself to. with the case of reasonably introverted ENTP, you can see the difference to INTP by looking at Si/Fe, both Ne and Ti are usually pretty well differentiated in introverted ENTP and INTP close to being E, so there isnt that much(visible from outside) difference on that sector. INTPs tend to use intuitions to support thinking, while ENTPs tend to use thinking to support their intuitions. but with well differentiated Ti and Ne, it can go both ways quite often and its not easy to spot the difference.

do you know any ENTPs or INTPs to who you could compare yourself to?

i was thinking of trying to explain some differences between me and my ENTP friend(who isnt very extraverted and would probably score I>E in big 5), but the differences are so subtle that its not easy to give a clear differences. but some of the things are: he is more into sports(doesent mind to go swimming by himself or do that sort of stuff, i feel very awkward going to swimming hall, at beach or doing pretty much any activity on my own), he is less shy(but its not very apparent, since he isnt the sort of guy who babbles much anyways and i dont really get shy in real time, just when anticipating things, so its just that it sometimes inhibits me from starting things and doesent show in the actual interactions), dominating might be a wrong word but its kinda like he more freely interacts with the external world and doesent think so much about what others think about if he does this or that etc. , he is sort of more at home in the external world and interactions with it, while i am more careful, like on someone elses territory. when solving a puzzle, he tries different things till he gets it right or figures it out, i try to think before every move(which kinda shows the difference in our relations to external world). if we get excited about something and talk, i dont think you see much of difference between us, same if we are contemplating on problem etc.

I only know two person who I think is are ENTP. The both seem much more out in the world than I am though we seem to have similar thoughts.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nigga u a intp

exactly. When you Ne it feels like your kind of blind to some things and inherit weird problems like a toe infection. ENTPs seem to have more bad luck in a sense they dont care much for the now lol, and you seem mostly Ti-Ne than Ne-Ti.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You read intp to me.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
very convincing intp.
not nearly batshit enough for "e". :p
Many of us do the "am I a shy entp???" question eventually. Sometimes that's from internalizing some rather retarded misconceptions about intps.

Hildur

MBTI Type
INTP
When I first came in contact with MBTI (and before I had time to really read up on the types) I was convinced I was an "E" - simply because I was talkative etc. But the thing that really convinced me to accept that I was in fact "I" was the difference in "loading batteries". I know E people who are energized by a day at a fair/convent etc while I'm exhausted and actually need a couple of days alone in the woods (so to say) before I'm "fully charged" again... My "extroverted acting" was actually just a quality that I had learned, because being shy and silent didn't really get me anywhere.

R

Riva

Hahah. How's that?

This -

I don't know I'm just not interested in flirting. Most of the stuff people say when flirting just seems (in my opinion) very stupid. I think interactions are more fun when talking about actual subjects rather than just exchanging compliments, glances ect. I like jokes and talking with people but joking and having a good time is different than flirting.

Add to it you give a rather Ti dominant vibe. To be more specific it's INTP. When it comes to ther other Ti doms, ISTPs have this positive attitude towards life at most times (probably due to Se) especially compared to INTPs. You have a rather why do any of this vibe to yourself. ENTPs (and other ExxPs) have a lust for life. This is why they seem interesting/entertaining. INTPs are quite the opposites. They have as I described a rather why? attitude to life.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This -

Add to it you give a rather Ti dominant vibe. To be more specific it's INTP. When it comes to ther other Ti doms, ISTPs have this positive attitude towards life at most times especially compared to INTPs. You have a rather why do any of this vibe to yourself. ENTPs (and other ESTPs) have a lst for life. This is why they seem interesting/entertaining. INTPs are quite the opposites. They have as I described a rather why? attitude to life. This probably is due to their dominant function Ti. Sometimes I've noticed even ISTPs with weak Se suffers from this.

Sad but probably true. :( bummer.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This -This is why they seem interesting/entertaining. INTPs are quite the opposites. They have as I described a rather why? attitude to life.

One man's "entertaining" is another person's "annoying." Plenty of those entps.
I find intps among the most entertaining people, partly because of that "why" Ti orientation fed into by the wtf of "Ne."

One reason I type Pseudo intp and not entp is that she seems much more interested in figuring out the why of stuff and less in the performative one-upmanship game of "winning" an argument.

R

Riva

One man's "entertaining" is another person's "annoying." Plenty of those entps.
I find intps among the most entertaining people, partly because of that "why" Ti orientation fed by the wtf of "Ne."

When I said why? I meant why do this? instead of why not do this? and why not try this? and why not have fun? and why not be entertained? etc.

In the defense of INTPs, yes they in one on one conversations are interesting indeed. Add to it they are quite knowledgeable in many areas makes them quite informative and anyone who is curious in any subject that an INTP knows of is in for a ride. But sadly they seem to hold a why attitude that prevent them from taking actions. When I meant taking actions I do not mean responsibilities or duties I mean seeking entertainment.

To elaborate a bit more they seem to ponder the end result and ask themselves what's the point of it all. ENTPs (ExxPs) even if they see the end they would go through it anyway. Infact they would find ways to make the ride more entertaining.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When I said why? I meant why do this? instead of why not do this? and why not try this? and why not have fun? and why not be entertained? etc.
Being entertained is quite different from being entertaining, or, as you would have it, the opposite of interesting and entertaining.

Further, "why not" is as INTP a question as "why." Difference in how the question is presented may have something to do with the desirability (or lack thereof) of the entertainment at hand.

In the defense of INTPs, yes they in one on one conversations are interesting indeed. Add to it they are quite knowledgeable in many areas makes them quite informative and anyone who is curious in any subject that an INTP knows of is in for a ride. But sadly they seem to hold a why attitude that prevent them from taking actions. When I meant taking actions I do not mean responsibilities or duties I mean seeking entertainment.
It's charming that you attempt to present a defense of intps against your own conclusion that they are the opposite of interesting or entertaining. Charming but unnecessary. What I get from the above is that intps are not performative circus clowns. And that's not as off-base an observation as the rest.

R

Riva

Being entertained is quite different from being entertaining, or, as you would have it, the opposite of interesting and entertaining.

Do I have to spell out everything for you? When I said being entertained I mean being entertained/seeking entertainment etc. This entertainment could be in many forms yes. I was addressing Pseudo, so she might get the point I was referring to, which you obviously don't seem to.

Further, "why not" is as INTP a question as "why." Difference in how the question is presented may have something to do with the desirability (or lack thereof) of the entertainment at hand.

Go read my post again. They tend to question why? in ............ No point. So I'm not going to waste my time and elaborate.

It's charming that you attempt to present a defense of intps against your own conclusion that they are the opposite of interesting or entertaining. Charming but unnecessary.

I wasn't trying to charm you or anyone here. Lolz.

I genuine do believe that INTPs are entertaining in one on one conversations. It's best not to assume what anyone's intentions are especially on an online forum.

What I get from the above is that intps are not performative circus clowns. And that's not as off-base an observation as the rest.

I seem to have to spell out everything for you. Such a shame. Like I said above I meant being entertained and not being circus clowns to entertain. I never found circus clowns to be entertaining so I guess you are better at being entertained therefore my point of view (since you being an INTP that is) is obviously wrong. Lolz.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do I have to spell out everything for you. When I said being entertained I mean being entertained/seeking entertainment etc. This entertainment could be in many forms yes. I was addressing Pseudo, so she might get the point I was referring to, which you obviously don't seem to.

Go read my post again. They tend to question why? in ............ No point. So I'm going to stop there.

I wasn't trying to charm you or anyone here. Lolz.

I genuine do believe that INTPs are entertaining in one on one conversations. It's best not to assume what anyone's intentions are especially on an online forum.

I seem to have to spell out everything for you. Such a shame. Like I said above I meant being entertained and not being circus clowns. I never founf circus clowns to beentertaining so I guess you are better at being entertained therefore my point of view (you being an INTP that is) is obviously wrong. Lolz.

Hmmm. I feel like I'm constantly seeking entertainment but maybe it's not what other people consider entertaining? TypeC, music. Making art, walks, dancing, playing sports. Sometimes I feel like I need to be constantly stimulated and that's what prevents me from taking in the outside world. It's difficult for me to enjoy baths, sitting on the beach or walking just as a sensual experiences.

Maybe that is it. I'm more entertained by my inner world and thoughts than what's happening around me.

One the one have I do think I have a somewhat reserved why approach to life when it comes to people. I don't want to involve myself with people who will later leave my life. Unlike others who have the mentality that people come In And out of your life and you enjoy them. I have a hard time enjoying things when I don't know where I stand.