• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do NFs and NTs get along?

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
Being an ENFP, I'm always initially attracted to INTJs because we're both Tes. The problem is that I quickly tire of them because their Te is secondary and lead by Ni while my Te is tertiary and lead by Fi. So while we're both intuitive, when I collect and analyze data I think about the personal or societal implications, whereas an NT will consider the practical applications.

Just wondering what you other Idealists and Rationals had to say about this. :D

Last edited:

Hyena

MBTI Type
ENTP
Some of my best friends are NF's. I can usually have good talks with them as long my humor doesn't cross the line (which admittedly happens a lot). I invariably have a great time with ENFP's in particular, we bring out the crazy in each other. It's that intuitive connection!

Being an NF, I'm always initially attracted to NTs because we're both Tes. The problem is that I quickly tire of them because their Te is secondary and lead by Ni while my Te is tertiary and lead by Fi. So while we're both intuitive, when I collect and analyze data I think about the personal or societal implications, whereas an NT will consider the practical applications.

ENFP =/= all NFs and INTJ =/= all NTs

This is a concept you need to be able to grasp first.

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
ENFP =/= all NFs and INTJ =/= all NTs

This is a concept you need to be able to grasp first.

Sorry I rewrote this post a few times and I meant to put ENFP and INTJ. Sorry. :doh:

I like some NTs, the rest are negligible or utter bastards or I've simply never met them, like the rest of humanity. More likely to get along with ENTJs and INTJs than INTPs, but INTPs can be pretty cool sometimes. Don't care for ENTPs but I'm willing to be surprised.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Only speaking for myself because I can't be bothered to try to determine who is what type irl and how they get along, etc.

All other things being equal, I like NTs as well or better than the general population.

My husband is an INTP so we both have Ti and Fe. He sometimes annoys me half to death (and I'm sure I do the same to him) but I have yet to tire of him. I love his brain so much. If I was a zombie it would be like a brownie sundae with hot fudge sauce and pecans.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This looks like just another enfp/intj fetish.

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
This looks like just another enfp/intj fetish.

I wasn't aware that was common.

Actually, most of the guys I fall in love with are INTJs :wub:; it sours pretty quickly though. :frown:

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think it depends on the individual person (I don't think it's type related a all). My younger brother is an ENFP and we've pretty much been best friends ever since we were very young. However, one of my "friends" is also an ENFP and he is a complete jerk to me all the time (he's a jerk in general, but even more so with me than anyone else). So it really depends on the individual person, not their type.

A

Anew Leaf

Just looking at me as an NF versus the NT types:

ENTJ: I get along quite well with this type. There can often be some initial frustration in trying to mesh up with this very strong personality. Once I figure out what their "language" is, then it gets a lot easier for me. The main importance I have discovered with this type is that above all they respect and desire the unvarnished truth. If I am upset with them, they just want to know so we can deal with it. They often show their own respect for you by simply giving you the truth as they see it without sugarcoating or apologies. I think they often get misconstrued for being cruel for doing this. However, I personally would rather have the reality so that I have the information to face it instead of encouragement for me to escape into fantasy land once more.

ENTJs have quite a tough candy shell on the outside but inside there is a lovely gooey center of caring. If they are your friend or loved one, they are extremely loyal and protective.

As an Fi-dom I think the reason why I am able to connect so well with this type is because we speak the same language of Fi and Te. The N/S differences end up dovetailing quite nicely with each other, and we often both delight at the different way of seeing the world.

INTJs: My description to the ENTJ is quite similar to my interactions with this type, so I am not going to go as in depth here. The main differences are that ENTJs have a very strong forceful aura to them, and the INTJs are much softer and quieter.

INTJs take more time and patience to get to know, but are often extremely worthwhile for that wait. I find that once I have gained their trust, it's a wonderful friendship to enjoy. I am fortunate enough to have several INTJs in my life as friends and they are some of my strongest supporters. Two of them live out of state and they have both vocalized their ability to fly out if I needed them there in person for something. It always feels like no problem is ever too large to bring to them to get their input on.

Like the ENTJ there is a hard candy outer shell, with a delicious caramel center to discover. There is again that commonality with the Fi and Te that is an easy language to have in common. The N/S differences again feel like dovetailing different strengths rather than being in the way.

NTJ Overall: I find that these are types that I can be my best with and find that it enhances our friendship nicely. I get to be kind of silly/fanciful/imaginative, and these types will appreciate me for it. Similarly I appreciate their own imaginative self, their desire to be objective, and their ability to perceive the unperceivable. I often feel like I am a better person for having some of these types in my life because they allow me to be me but they balance me at the same time.

ENTPs: I find that in friendships, this is a really fun type of friend to have. I get to be extra silly and delve into the Ne ping pong that is so delightful to indulge in every now and again. I find that there are two types of ENTPs, the ones that want to be entertaining for the fun of all, and the ones who want to be entertaining for themselves. I enjoy the former a lot more than the latter. I have many ENTP friends and family simply because I am an NTP magnet. (I really need to stop chewing on wires. :D)

I think the problem where things can break down is that where we are similar, we are too similiar. Ne is, for me, my go-to gal of humor and silliness. Ne for ENTPs is similiar to a point where their Ti kicks in and goes "ok, this is too illogical we must stop" and that's about the point where I am just getting started having fun. :)

I think the second kind of ENTP can really wear on my nerves after awhile. Pranks and jokes are fun, but when they start bordering on mean, I don't like it anymore. And often when I have objected at that point, they play around with semantics to show me how I am wrong for being upset. That gets old.

INTPs: Very similar interactions to the ENTP so this description will be shorter. I think the problem again can be that we are SO similar, that when the differences crop up there is a bit of a shock. Ne, being the external easily verbalized form of our thoughts, can make it look like we are on the same wave lengths for a very long time. Then there comes a day when Ti and Fi have made their own separate opinions and boom! the end of the world has arrived.

I also find that NTPs have a very hard time reading my emotional state since I am not easily expressing of such things... and they take such stoicism as meaning I feel nothing. This causes problems quite quickly, even in friendships.

The End.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also find that NTPs have a very hard time reading my emotional state since I am not easily expressing of such things... and they take such stoicism as meaning I feel nothing. This causes problems quite quickly, even in friendships.

are you sure that they dont just see your emotional state as not being a problem(you feel crap, but you want to be doing something than dwelling on those problems and have no problem doing so) or think that you just dont want to talk about it, since you are not expressing it? what i have noticed about NFPs around me is that they either express their emotions, or often deny it(and get more anxious for having to deny it) even if i can clearly see that something is wrong and ask. so not asking, even if i see that something is wrong seems to be the best option. if you want to express something, guess what you have to do

W

WALMART

I like NF's. Their ideology can be stifling, but sometimes I'm into that kinda thing :ninja:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being an ENFP, I'm always initially attracted to INTJs because we're both Tes. The problem is that I quickly tire of them because their Te is secondary and lead by Ni while my Te is tertiary and lead by Fi. So while we're both intuitive, when I collect and analyze data I think about the personal or societal implications, whereas an NT will consider the practical applications.

Do NTs/NFs (or ENFP/INTJ) get along?

Short answer: some do, some don't.

Long answer: read this. ENFP/INTJ Rabbit Hole of No Return

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's really about both people being perfectly ok with how the other is. So, the NF can't 'expect' the NT to be NF, and the NT can't 'expect the NF to be or become more NT-ish. Also, both need to learn not to project their own self/values/'what would I do' onto the other, as there are inherent differences. And as long as both are ok and appreciate the differences, then all is jolly! :smile:

(of course the above could apply to any relationship)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think everyone should have answered "No."

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NEVER.

But srsly exactly what [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] said... Since we share Perception style, it's really up to how we handle our Judgment that determines how well we will or will not get along. If we can find a pleasing Fe-Ti or Fi-Te balance, or if we can see similarities in Fi-Ti and Fe-Te, then we will probably get along very well. But we can also easily find the other lacking - NTs thinking NFs too tied up in morals to be progressive and NFs thinking NTs too focused on hard logic to be empathetic.

W

WhoCares

The few enfps I've met I like well enough, I was in a relationship with an enfp man, and while he was delightful in some ways we never really made anything other than a superficial connection and that exasperated me. I was always trying ti find more and there wasn't anything else to find.

Permabanned
:huh: