• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How Do Rationals Deal With Emotions?

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, I was just surprised a bunch of other NT's didn't come along and say "sub you talk such BS, I'm nothing like that, that's just you, you big ol' freak!!" :laugh:

I would have said that but the F I've developed told me its not very nice! ;)

Honestly I feel as if most people exaggerate the lack of emotion or the total compartmentalization of feeling and thinking; or that its just much less with me. Every decision is made with feelings in mind, its just that some are made "because I feel like it" and some are made because "I feel like this value is most important." I think many T's also misinterpret the difference between thinking and feeling, playing down their feelings just so they can call it thinking.

That's not to say I don't identify at all. I am a T and I definitely have felt like that sleeping kitten completely attacked by my feelings, seemingly out of no where!

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah that, but I thought it was also just being aware of your own emotions? Or is that just F generally?

See? clueless :laugh:

I used to think that too then Gen looked it up... I have no idea which subset tell syou about your own feelings. I'm not even sure that's F at all (Identifying them that is, whether or how you include them is what the F fucntions are about, I think?)

In any case, my internal set of values tells me it's mean to be suspicious of someone when they're just being nice. So it could still be Fi making me feel guilty? :huh:

Fi would inform you that you are doing wrong, if you believe it's wrong to be suspicous of someone being nice. But your Fe and Ne may be hinting that this person may not be genuine though, despite their not being enough evidence for you Ti to agree? Which do you think is more likely to give you a false reading?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Gen don't get me wrong, I have indeed exaggerrated the extent and deliberateness of the process for illustration purposes :) Most of what I describe goes on unconsciously. Again, it's an example of my Ti back engineering what Ne does instinctively to try to explain it.

By no means would I say that process is all there is, that it has the last say every time. It's just my usual, default sorta instinct. And I'm nowhere near that being the way I work ALL the time, but it's an ideal that I strive towards. It's stoicism, really, which has always appealed to or found sympathy in the NT camp, nothing new :)

Dom, usually I'd say the weaker functions are the ones more likely to give me a false reading! But not always...

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Are you saying that we use Ti to rationalise what comes from Ne?

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Gen don't get me wrong, I have indeed exaggerrated the extent and deliberateness of the process for illustration purposes :) Most of what I describe goes on unconsciously. Again, it's an example of my Ti back engineering what Ne does instinctively to try to explain it.

By no means would I say that process is all there is, that it has the last say every time. It's just my usual, default sorta instinct. And I'm nowhere near that being the way I work ALL the time, but it's an ideal that I strive towards. It's stoicism, really, which has always appealed to or found sympathy in the NT camp, nothing new :)
I understand, you do have to exaggerate to explain some things, I know. I so don't mean to sound like I think I'm better than you at all.

Dom, usually I'd say the weaker functions are the ones more likely to give me a false reading! But not always...
You Ne dominants! Always trusting your primary function and shit! :doh:

Heh.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you saying that we use Ti to rationalise what comes from Ne?

Not exactly. I'm saying that *I* do, and other NT's might also :)

For me Ne is primary and Ti secondary, so yeah that's the process, info pours in from Ne and Ne just does its thing, spontaneously improvising and getting carried away and loving it, while Ti scrambles to make sense of it all and perhaps apply the brakes. Ne's so damn hyperactive though, it can be quite a while sometimes before it lets me sit down for five minutes and just gather my thoughts... lol

edit - I guess for an INTP it'd be the other way round, maybe Ti analysing and overanalysing everything all the time and Ne has to wait for Ti to draw breath for its chance to break in and say 'wait, what about this...? but what use is it? but when are you gonna get off your ass and do any of this?' lol

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Nah, I'd say that I may well do many things because of Ti, but I do at least as many things out of Ne. Still, since I feel uncomfortable about that, what I catch myself doing quite often is to try and build constructions that make these Ne decisions look rational. :)

I tried to discuss this before, calling the Ne action a "gut feeling" but noticed that many people only read the word "feeling" there and disqualified it... Any thoughts on that?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Nah, I'd say that I may well do many things because of Ti, but I do at least as many things out of Ne. Still, since I feel uncomfortable about that, what I catch myself doing quite often is to try and build constructions that make these Ne decisions look rational. :)

yeah that sounds familiar... :)

I tried to discuss this before, calling the Ne action a "gut feeling" but noticed that many people only read the word "feeling" there and disqualified it... Any thoughts on that?

I dunno, maybe 'gut instinct' is a more neutral phrase...

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP

I dunno, maybe 'gut instinct' is a more neutral phrase...

This is part of the difficulty with discussing such things between Fs and Ts. Sometimes it seems that Ts diregard or wish to debunct a concept simply because the words feeling or feelings were used. It's like a default position of hostility, that is part of what I don't understand, why so hostile? So what if your feelings and emotions could lead you astray, so can (and often does) your thinking.

I study history and if I run across a problematic sorce, I don' treat it like an enmey trying to drag me down the wrong path, but like a source I have to work harder with to yeild fruitful results. Just because it's ahrder to do so doesn't mean it's not an important source.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
hmm... though perhaps sometimes you're reading a simple desire for clarification and disambiguation as hostility? :)

I just like to ensure that if we're discussing something, we're on the same page. It's frustrating when after hours of argument, I finally realize that we agreed all along, we just thought the words meant different things. That's why I like to start out if possible by agreeing on definitions. Bit like lawyers do :laugh:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
hmm... though perhaps sometimes you're reading a simple desire for clarification and disambiguation as hostility? :)

I just like to ensure that if we're discussing something, we're on the same page. It's frustrating when after hours of argument, I finally realize that we agreed all along, we just thought the words meant different things. That's why I like to start out if possible by agreeing on definitions. Bit like lawyers do :laugh:

But oh, that takes so much time and energy...
I must agree with Dom. The word "feeling" works as a red flag to many (N)T's, and ironically leads to a QED ;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
As to the OP and building on the previous, I fear many T's deny feelings rather than ignore of supress them...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah that, but I thought it was also just being aware of your own emotions? Or is that just F generally?

See? clueless :laugh:

In any case, my internal set of values tells me it's mean to be suspicious of someone when they're just being nice. So it could still be Fi making me feel guilty? :huh:

edit - even though Ni is telling me he's probably being sarcastic to see how egotistical I can be when I take it seriously and believe he thinks I'm awesome, and Ti is telling me who cares what the big girlpants thinks anyway? :laugh:

What is this?

I am genuinely annoyed by people assuming that because you have not made the same decisions as they have, that you suffer the consequences from them, that you are genuinely unhappy. People who take the road often traveled suffer consequences, too -- they're just so common that they're not likely to notice them.

I'm feeling sick now...

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
What is this?

I am genuinely annoyed by people assuming that because you have not made the same decisions as they have, that you suffer the consequences from them, that you are genuinely unhappy. People who take the road often traveled suffer consequences, too -- they're just so common that they're not likely to notice them.

I'm feeling sick now...

Don't feel sick! And no one is trying to tell anyone to take the path most travelled.

I'm pretty certain that if sub, yourself and i all faced teh same situation and all decided to let our emotions guide us, that we'd all end up doing different things to solve the situation we were facing. I'm certainly not argueing for uniformity.. ick!

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
I don't notice/determine the impact my decisions make on others. I try to make the best decision, period, even if it causes me great pain. When people start whining/bitching/complaining, and I can't handle it, I usually wish I had taken the "human" factor into consideration.

I am not usually very emotional. Like, the moody EN*P behaviour that I'm usually surrounded by is foreign to me. I couldn't imagine bouncing all over the place like that. Its like a non-robust system oscillating wildly out of control; that shit needs to be stabilized before it causes damage.

The "emotion" I experience most frequently is anger. I get angry before anything else. The second most common is frustration, bordering on wanting to give up. If I'm not experiencing one of those two emotions, then I'm going on about my day thinking about other shit, slowly and methodically working my way up to a bout of rage, or depression.

The worst emotion I experience is heart break. I master everything I do except picking up women, and being well-regarded in a relationship. This leads to the "get away from me weirdo," or "I'm leaving you, you sorry, dull, cold, lifeless sack of shit." That hurts like a bitch. Problem is, the "heart break" is more like a feeling of failure, and ineptitude than a feeling of "she doesn't want me, I'm just a bad person, I feel so rejected."

As for dealing with emotions; I guess I don't. If I get angry, depressed, or heart broken, I get dragged down by the feelings. Good thing for me is that I don't experience emotions outside of neutral very often.

I can't ignore emotions.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Aw haphazard I was only being my usual silly self, I didn't mean anything against you :hug:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
My hypothesis is that emotion is the energy of information. You cannot eliminate emotion without the elimination of thought. But this is just a guess.