• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Can somebody -please- explain dominant Ne to me?

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that it's the reason we ENTPs are a pack of awesome, thread-jacking, tangential lunatics, but I don't really know anything else about it. ....How does it work? I've never been able to find an answer that clicked in my brain.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's the part of you that asks "why?"

That might be Ti.

The dom function is not something you DO but something you ARE most of the time.

You prolly notice it better in moments when you try NOT to be like that and struggle.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne is remixes of lights, color, sound, and tactile sensation

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
That might be Ti.

The dom function is not something you DO but something you ARE most of the time.

You prolly notice it better in moments when you try NOT to be like that and struggle.

I'm aware.

Ti is more about "why it's most likely not that."

W

WALMART

It's about building as accurate a worldview as possible.

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] recently described it as sending forth 'empty vassals' that are primed for nothing but filling - of thought, experience, action, sensory... yadda yadda.

Ne rocks, though I seem to find people who really, really dislike it.

An example of Ne use: me and my sister were cooking stuffed belpeppers. She placed one close to the end of the tray in the stove. We went outside, when we came back in the oven was smoking. Immediately I understood cheese flowed over the side and was burning at the bottom of the oven.

It's what makes us good problem solvers, the ability to perceive events in our environment and react with statistical probability to resolve said situation.

It's also what gets us in trouble, broad BROAD assumptions of things.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An example of Ne use: me and my sister were cooking stuffed belpeppers. She placed one close to the end of the tray in the stove. We went outside, when we came back in the oven was smoking. Immediately I understood cheese flowed over the side and was burning at the bottom of the oven.

Oh the wonders of intuition :) i feel like i do that kind of stuff alot

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is the part of you that fills in the gaps..that ties one piece of information to another, because you see a pattern developing. Often, when you then backtrack, you'll see all the missing pieces in between and can logically explain the pattern. But that first gut reaction and the instant recognition of what is going on...that is Ne.

You will also use it to notice patterns that you havent figured out before yet. Things that make you go 'huh...why does it do that?' while everyone around you is going 'do what?? What are you on about?' Once you notice all the pieces, you'll put it together pretty fast and will recognise it instantly if it occurs again in the future. This can be applied to real life situations, but more often than not, is applied to more abstract concepts. (For instance, as an ENFP, I get accused of mindreading, when all I really do is study the behavioral patterns of a certain person, and for taht matter a certain type of person, in order to predict their mental, emotional and physical state at all times. It can result in me saying something to them that they need to hear before they were able to say so, or before they even realise that they need to hear it).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's rapid connection. Linking. This to this to this to this to this, expanding outwards. It's what makes your thoughts go from the color blue to quantum physics to astrology to scientology to utah to salt to the ocean to the color blue. It what makes your mind so fast and your attention so short.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's the constant seeking of information...

the drive to solve problems...sifting through the multitude of possibilities to find the right fit.

but if it doesn't fit...tis okay...great even...ne gets to work more! challenging yay!! scramble scramble spit

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol, that doesn't sound like Ne at all. That's the most logical explanation, since bell peppers are unlikely to dry out enough to burn that quickly. Ne would be responsible for coming up with really out of the box explanations, not the most obvious ones.

W

WALMART

lol, that doesn't sound like Ne at all. That's the most logical explanation, since bell peppers are unlikely to dry out enough to burn that quickly. Ne would be responsible for coming up with really out of the box explanations, not the most obvious ones.

In this example, I don't think I was so much focused on the difficulty of the solution as I was the rapidity of the thought, the fact that I even thought about what was happening before I went over to the stove to investigate.

It's like I saw the oven smoking, and an aha moment occurred. The aha moment is Ne, regardless of complexity.

If you have another example of Ne use in the real world, I'd like to hear it. I'm in a very infantile stage of understanding function theory.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this example, I don't think I was so much focused on the difficulty of the solution as I was the rapidity of the thought, the fact that I even thought about what was happening before I went over to the stove to investigate.

It's like I saw the oven smoking, and an aha moment occurred. The aha moment is Ne, regardless of complexity.

If you have another example of Ne use in the real world, I'd like to hear it. I'm in a very infantile stage of understanding function theory.
I am not an Ne user and I can't tell you what was going on in your mind. I suppose if you went "oven smoking! Smoke means Fire! Fire is Yellow! Cheese is also Yellow! Aha! The cheese is smoking!", that might be Ne. :laugh:

But rapidly figuring out the most obvious explanation for something is not Ne. I'm sure you can use your Ne to think of some reasons why types that don't prefer Ne might find that concept insulting as well as inaccurate.

W

WALMART

I am not an Ne user and I can't tell you what was going on in your mind. I suppose if you went "oven smoking! Smoke means Fire! Fire is Yellow! Cheese is also Yellow! Aha! The cheese is smoking!", that might be Ne. :laugh:

I see what you're saying, but perhaps I am more focused on the underlying context of the scenario rather than the conclusive results of this one example. "Oven is smoking, sister put one belpepper close to the edge of the tray, cheese is on the bottom of the oven". Fairly in line with your example. The importance is that before I even had the mind to put whatever was smoking out I was already generating possibilities of what caused it.

Like I said, some people are just against Ne =X It's hard to talk about Ne without sounding arrogant, I'll give it that. Everyone Ne's though, even the sensiest of sensors. Just like everyone senses, even the most intuitives of intuits.

But rapidly figuring out the most obvious explanation for something is not Ne. I'm sure you can use your Ne to think of some reasons why types that don't prefer Ne might find that concept insulting as well as inaccurate.

If it's not Ne, what function would be indicative of rapidly figuring out scenarios in your environment? Ti, perhaps, but the two go fairly hand in hand I'd imagine. Bragging isn't much my style, but I've always been a good problem solver. My father is Ne dom, coincidentally the most respected mechanic at the shop he works at. I worked with him for five years, our shop manager told me once his guess is better than most mechanic's diagnosis. If being Ne dom isn't a functional explanation of this, I don't know what would be.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it's not Ne, what function would be indicative of rapidly figuring out scenarios in your environment? Ti, perhaps, but the two go fairly hand in hand I'd imagine. Bragging isn't much my style, but I've always been a good problem solver. My father is Ne dom, coincidentally the most respected mechanic at the shop he works at. I worked with him for five years, our shop manager told me once his guess is better than most mechanic's diagnosis. If being Ne dom isn't a functional explanation of this, I don't know what would be.

Intake of information is Se/Ne/Si/Ni. Processing of information is Ti/Fi/Te/Fe. I'd say you need both steps to "rapidly figure out scenarios". Ne is no more "rapid" than Si/Se/Ni, it's just different. Si might be instantly like "I bet the cheese is burning, that happened to me last week", Se might be like "that smoke smells like cheese burning", Ni might be like "I think there's a connection between the smoke and excessive cheese I put on the peppers" (ok, I have no idea for Ni) and Ne might be like "smoke could come from the peppers! the oil! old bread crumbs! random socks in the oven! cheese! let's go with cheese" ....or you know, something along those line. The information you take in has a different flavour, a different focus, but it's not like Ne is better or worse at suddenly seeing solutions. That there is called intelligence, not Ne. Believe it or not, those two things aren't interchangeable.

As far as problem solving, that's the stereotypical domain of Ti. Ne-Ti tends to head more towards abstract problems and Se-Ti tends to head more towards real-life problems, but Ti is the main player there. It's not even that Ti is necessarily better than other types at problem solving (MBTI measures preference, not ability), but more that it's drawn towards problem solving and might continue to work away at the problem after other types have gotten bored.

And to restate the obvious, type is frequently not the best explanation for things like "being good at X". It may be part of the answer, it may be irrelevant, it may go counter to what you would predict from type.

W

WALMART

Intake of information is Se/Ne/Si/Ni. Processing of information is Ti/Fi/Te/Fe. I'd say you need both steps to "rapidly figure out scenarios". Ne is no more "rapid" than Si/Se/Ni, it's just different. Si might be instantly like "I bet the cheese is burning, that happened to me last week", Se might be like "that smoke smells like cheese burning", Ni might be like "I think there's a connection between the smoke and excessive cheese I put on the peppers" (ok, I have no idea for Ni) and Ne might be like "smoke could come from the peppers! the oil! old bread crumbs! random socks in the oven! cheese! let's go with cheese" ....or you know, something along those line. The information you take in has a different flavour, a different focus, but it's not like Ne is better or worse at suddenly seeing solutions. That there is called intelligence, not Ne. Believe it or not, those two things aren't interchangeable.

As far as problem solving, that's the stereotypical domain of Ti. Ne-Ti tends to head more towards abstract problems and Se-Ti tends to head more towards real-life problems, but Ti is the main player there. It's not even that Ti is necessarily better than other types at problem solving (MBTI measures preference, not ability), but more that it's drawn towards problem solving and might continue to work away at the problem after other types have gotten bored.

And to restate the obvious, type is frequently not the best explanation for things like "being good at X". It may be part of the answer, it may be irrelevant, it may go counter to what you would predict from type.

I have a bad habit when learning to assume things are true, even if before it went against my thoughts. In this case, I agree, type is not indicative of anything. Intelligence would be.

It's still fun to think about though! Thanks for the input, you have really cleared up some questions I had by posting all this.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, I have a question about replying... such a noob. How (or can) you quote more than one person in a thread?

There's a quote button with a + next to the regular quote button - click on as many of those as you want, then on the last one hit the regular quote button.

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's rapid connection. Linking. This to this to this to this to this, expanding outwards. It's what makes your thoughts go from the color blue to quantum physics to astrology to scientology to utah to salt to the ocean to the color blue. It what makes your mind so fast and your attention so short.

And I have to say that on particularly boring days, it's fun to try and backtrack where you came from. This morning, I was wondering how I'd gotten stuck thinking about unicorns, because I'm not really a unicorn kind of person. Turns out, the whole thing started with a toenail fungus commercial. Yeah. So that's Ne huh?

Y'all have no idea how happy I have been to stumble onto this site and see that I'm not completely cracked. Well I mean I -am-, but that there are other people cracked in the same way. And that other people really enjoy analyzing this stuff to death too.

That, and I'm usually pretty darn good at figuring out other people's types, but I want to delve more deeply into what it all potentially means about how someone works. I have a besty ISFJ, and I know that we work very well together, and I can generally tell when others are an S or a J, but I still feel like she is an alien sometimes. But now I'm getting off topic. Point: I'm going to be staring at you people through a microscope.