• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Misunderstanding ENTJs

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I misunderstand something this ENTJ says, or when I correct something this ENTJ says, he gets pretty angry and acts like he wants to kick me and then stab me. I don't have this kind of problem when interacting with any other person, and I actually just know one ENTJ. I see misunderstandings as a part of life, and many times something pretty funny can come out of them, but I'm sure nothing fun comes when it happens with him. I was just wondering if that is common among ENTJs...

ENTJs, are misunderstandings horrible to you?

People who know ENTJs, has something like that ever happened to you?

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Don't be so sensitive Elfa. ENTJs are going to let you know what they think of you tho. Short and painless.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe the way you handle mistakes or corrections irritates or insults him.

Maybe he's not actually angry and you are blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe he's not an ENTJ at all and you're mistaking aggression and some above-standard degree of intelligence for xNTJ. Maybe he's an xSTJ or just a prick. Lots of types can be pricks.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe the way you handle mistakes or corrections irritates or insults him.

Maybe he's not actually angry and you are blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe he's not an ENTJ at all and you're mistaking aggression and some above-standard degree of intelligence for xNTJ. Maybe he's an xSTJ or just a prick. Lots of types can be pricks.

It might be the way I handle mistakes and correction, but since he is the only one who acts like this around me, I think the problem is not with me. But it really could be.

I've showed the descriptions of ENTJ to him and three people we know in common, and we all agree he seems ENTJ.

I'm not the only one who noticed he acts strangely angry out of almost nothing sometimes.

I'm asking this because I saw another ENTJ in a forum saying he gets pissed when someone corrects him - so I was wondering if it could be more common among ENTJs, but of course it may not be. ^^

Anyway, thanks for the imput. :)

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
((Sorry in advance, this got longer than I intended.))
Having had and lived with an ENTJ boyfriend for ten years, and also having a job in a place that has a disproportionate number of INFPs present, maybe I can help you figure it out.

I find on occasion that when there is an interpersonal/job-related problem at work that I am usually not even remotely aware of, that my INFP manager will actually spend the entire day working herself up to broaching the subject, and that when she does, it's in a very side-stepping kind of manner. In spending that entire day figuring out the best way to approach me about something, she actually behaves differently and anxiously, and I notice it right away. What generally ends up happening is that between her acting tense around me all day which makes me overthink what could possibly be up (she is fully an F and I am very strongly T), and then side-stepping into the subject as if it's something major that could get me into deep trouble, we are both a bit jangled by the time I realize it's a bandaid she could have ripped off first thing in the morning without me even blinking. It's frustrating, but I generally don't feel like stabbing her.

I am assuming that you approach this guy in a way that you intend to be subtle and non-threatening when something is up. Are you a superior? A coworker? Are you friends with this person, or just distant acquaintances? My boyfriend does not suffer fools, especially when they are superiors who are just "doing everything wrong". He will come home sometimes and just rant about it because the frustration gets so high. If he feels someone is an incompetent worker (or just incompetent in general), or doesn't particularly like them, or just doesn't know where they're coming from even if he does like them, they will be summarily dismissed and the event will definitely stick in his craw so to speak. I'm not calling you incompetent, but it's possible that he may question your ability compared to his own because you're coming from very different places in your decision making. As someone who does the same thing to a lesser extent, I've had to learn a long lesson that people who make their decisions from a strongly F standpoint can also be incredibly sharp, and not to flat out dismiss them.

As for just how angry he gets, my bf does get pretty angry when his capability is called into question, but he is definitely not a closed book when it comes to criticism either. And he's not violent. It's possible you do the same thing my manager does to some extent, and he unconsciously gets angered by it because it's not to the point and out of the way quickly. It's also possible that on top of things, he just flat out has anger problems. Knowing a few INFPs, I know that they do tend to feel a bit gobsmacked sometimes when someone in the room is out of sorts, whether or not it has anything at all to do with the INFP. The INFP will actually somehow take the blame for that discord onto themselves, it's kind of dismaying and fascinating to see really. It's quite possible that he does take some amount of offense to it and your infp mind always seeking for things to be okay "over-notices" the fact that he is not currently okay.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When I misunderstand something this ENTJ says, or when I correct something this ENTJ says, he gets pretty angry and acts like he wants to kick me and then stab me. I don't have this kind of problem when interacting with any other person, and I actually just know one ENTJ. I see misunderstandings as a part of life, and many times something pretty funny can come out of them, but I'm sure nothing fun comes when it happens with him. I was just wondering if that is common among ENTJs...

I hope you understand that the bolded, isn't caused by a misunderstanding. And type has nothing to do with it.

rav3n

Insufficient context to draw any conclusions. Can you expand on your history and also, the scenarios? Is there existing bad blood between you?

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed, I keep thinking about that. If he's actually reacting as strongly as you say, something deeper is going on.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I hope you understand that the bolded, isn't caused by a misunderstanding. And type has nothing to do with it.

Agreed. The ENTJs I know are quite pleasant and rarely have a temper. Totally reasonable people even under unusual circumstances. When they get mad they lecture and explain. They don't become enraged.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed. The ENTJs I know are quite pleasant and rarely have a temper. Totally reasonable people even under unusual circumstances. When they get mad they lecture and explain. They don't become enraged.

Agreed.

Does not sound ENTJ. Sounds like a prick.

It's not the fact that he gets angry. It's the fact that he Hulk Rages when his flaws are acknowledged, according to the OP. Not an ENTJ behavior. Either he has some serious issues going on or he's some other type who is reacting that way for un-ENTJ reasons -- and he's a prick.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Doesn't make sense. Why would he be that offended. Sounds like an irrationally bruised crazy-person ego, than an ENTJ.

IceBlock

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, amiga brasileira, I can imagine the ENTJs I know doing something like that. I'm even surprised how none of the people here can't see this as an ENTJ attitude.

Isn't from the ExTJ nature hate being corrected?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Yes, amiga brasileira, I can imagine the ENTJs I know doing something like that. I'm even surprised how none of the people here can't see this as an ENTJ attitude.

Depends on who and how they did the correction. But the way she described it is an over reaction on the other's part.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I am constantly misunderstood because i let my Ni go all over the place(or at least that's what it looks like to others) so when someone doesn't understand me it can get a little frustrating because it happens so often, and i hate repeating myself

I have an ISFJ freind that literally has to translate what i'm saying to other people.

So in regards to the relationships i have with my infp co-worker: I like all of them, which usually has nothing to do with it unless on repeated occasions you have burned a bridge or just been an all out incompetant fool..like not knowing how to navigate something after working there over a year...or something of the sort. infp's in general to me, seem to question everything, unless they're very introverted. This causes me to have to explain myself all the time, which can be frustrating. However, no stabbing thoughts come about from this. I do become impatient and talk faster and more abrupt sometimes. If you are correcting me about something that i did wrong, i want to know, i don't want to be in the dark about something that i can improve upon, and i'm pretty ok with an infp and the way they go about it...we actually get loud and get all of our ideas out, then the ideas start coming together ha ha. But with a more introverted infp i will actually just get annoyed and ingore them and withdraw.

person prolly has anger issues

rav3n

I'd have serious issues being corrected by some dude with blood all over his face. My fangs would drop and instead of wanting to stab him, I'd drain his body dry of all blood. If he struggles, even better.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Misunderstandings happen all the time and find it senseless to use that as reason to rage out. The only thing I dislike about misunderstandings is the fact that it hinders work and can become very inefficient if the parties can't resolve their issues.

I would not make a hasty judgement and stick this one on ENTJs. ENTJs are also individuals with behavioral problems of their own that is completely irrelevant to type.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For what some people here are saying, it seems to me that ENTJs may get annoyed by being corrected and etc, but it's not usual for them to get angry for this.

I do know that many people, regardless of type, may get annoyed by things, but since we're in an MBTI forum I guess it makes sense to talk about this in general.

I had a talk these days with this ENTJ and he said he has indeed anger problems and is looking forward to deal with it. So this case of weird anger is probably just his problem.

The INFP will actually somehow take the blame for that discord onto themselves, it's kind of dismaying and fascinating to see really.

I relate to that. I would usually think to myself I was completely guilty of making him mad and that I should stop saying stupid things. Recently I'm considering the possibility that the problem is not with me. In this case I think it really isn't...

I appreciate your imput, people. ^^

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad he recognizes his problem and is wanting to deal with it. And I hope you don't think I meant that you -were- the reason he was angry or that you were imagining it. <3

Working On It

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I have been married to an ENTJ for 30+ years. He is very patient and even tempered. I love his ''will make it happen' attitude when problems arise. He sees open paths toward goals in the same way I see new ideas. Our communication is always open because the work ahead is our focus. We never criticize each other's ideas, but instead enjoy brainstorming together.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
funny-Dwight-Schrute-meme-The-Office.jpg