• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Who is more concise: INTP or INTJ?

Most concise type

• Total voters

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was forgotten. :(

I voted INTJ. Mainly comparing a close INTJ friend and myself. Interestingly enough, she says while her work is more concise, INTP work is more elegant.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was sure I had you on the list!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahaha! Every time I call INTPs into the thread they vote INTJ!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten.
Like [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] , [MENTION=8827]copperfish17[/MENTION], [MENTION=16301]zelo1954[/MENTION], [MENTION=16118]red[/MENTION]Herring, [MENTION=9325]ZPowers[/MENTION], and [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]!
Not forgetting [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION], [MENTION=4728]ajblaise[/MENTION], [MENTION=14]Falcarius[/MENTION], [MENTION=994]kelric[/MENTION], [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION], [MENTION=6508]Blank[/MENTION]pages and [MENTION=921]lowtech redneck[/MENTION].

Wow. I don't technically count in this post. No one remembers me! :whine:

I was about to ask if I was the only talkative INTP here, then I just realized I'm in a house filled with people in a dark room on my own.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh shit! Now I'm just offending everyone I forgot. :blush:

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTPs make more concise arguments, while INTJs more concise statements.
And since they need to make more of those statements to flesh out the arguments, they end up saying more.

EDIT: IRL, the complaint I get is that I don't talk enough--quite the opposite of "rambling."
+ 1.
Same applies to my writing. page minimums in papers were invented to torture me.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@salome

I was being ultra concise.

I think that it reall depends. Also you can still be concise while writing a long post if there are many ideas to present.

I would probably say that INTJs are more concise because sometimes they don't really like to explain what they see as an already settled issue. INTPs are kind of always refining or trying to be more nuanced so they might use more qualifiers or sort of walk through an idea/define their terms more.

Though really they are both very concise in comparison to some other types (cough INFP cough). I tink ESXPs can e very concise at times too. FB's because they are more action oriented and T's because they don't really care :p

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Neither of them can compete with ISTJ, though, so why try?

INTPs probably beat both at precision, though.

Also, don't use the forum as the basis for your conclusions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two types are so different. INTJs look like this >. INTPs look like this <.

I see what you're saying here. Yes. Although I can't explain it.

I voted INTJ.

And I know for certain that "concise" does not include me unless I'm summarizing information.

rav3n

I see what you're saying here. Yes. Although I can't explain it.

I voted INTJ.

And I know for certain that "concise" does not include me unless I'm summarizing information.
To explain the pictorial, INTJs take a substantial amount of information and narrow it down to one conclusive possibility. INTPs create here and now, then expand out to many possibilities.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
It depends on the individual's learning style. Conciseness without a context is rather pointless.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After years spent on INTPc, INTJf, and this forum...

INTJs start off fairly concise, but often fall into the trap of the point-by-point rebuttal.

INTPs are accused of the "wall of text" but this is actually fairly rare.

The most obvious "wall of text" posters are often in fact accused of being non-INTPs by other INTPs. INTPs prefer precision and long texts are scattered, not precise. The INTP often strives to write an elegant turn of phrase (often metaphor) that encapsulates the entire idea. The INTP can certainly ramble on a subject they favor... but it has to be a subject they enjoy and are knowledgeable about. Most are also aware that such rambling is frowned upon, so they limit it unless they believe they are given permission to ramble and detail every point and digression about their thinking process on the subject.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A telling economy?

Side note: Is it me, or do all INTJ posts read as ESL?

I feel the same way. INTJ writing always seems kind of soulless to me. It's often needlessly technical, and that's where 1) they lose the reader and 2) they lose points for conciseness. INTPs are much better at figuring out what it is the other person needs to know and delivering it, whereas INTJs give you a breakdown of points that doesn't quite hit the spot. With exceptions of course.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Am I being asked to vote? The answer is: it depends on the person. I assume the poll isn't about two forum members named INTP and INTJ.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When talking in their area of expertise INTJs are going to be more laconic. Thats going to make them more concise. INTPs love to elaborate on their favourite topics and give all the details.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way. INTJ writing always seems kind of soulless to me. It's often needlessly technical, and that's where 1) they lose the reader and 2) they lose points for conciseness. INTPs are much better at figuring out what it is the other person needs to know and delivering it, whereas INTJs give you a breakdown of points that doesn't quite hit the spot. With exceptions of course.
this is a good point. INTPs are much better at adapting to their audience (the so-called social chameleon effect). INTJs just batter every audience over the head with the same dogmatic style.

Neither of them can compete with ISTJ, though, so why try?

INTPs probably beat both at precision, though.

Damn, this is confusing. Why do you have Strawberries avatar?

What should we use if not the forum?
I don't know any INTJs IRL (maybe one guy I used to work with, but I'd never swear to anyone's type without their input - that way lies confirmation bias) and INTJf bores me to tears.

ygolo

My termites win

Other than forums like this one, where else are we going to have a large sample of people that we believe are INTPs or INTJs?

Maybe at a chess club, or a hackers convention or something, but the P-J dichotomy is pretty hard to nail down in those groups (even when we look at Ti v. Te, Ni vs Ne, etc.)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I wasn't so lazy and could be bothered to construct a theoretical argument in support of my claim...

Sumdy gonnae?