• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP, enneagram 5w4 and art

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(Another article I wrote and taken off Personality Café)

There appears to a tendency among INTPs that are enneagram 5w4 and music preference. Specifically, it appears that the 5w4 INTP seeks music that is focused on connection and disconnection. I don't think we need to go further into the specifics of the INTP or the definitions of cognitive functions for now, but I think we do we need to define what enneagram 5w4, also known as the Iconoclast, is:

What is important to understand about enneagram 5w4 is how 5w4 is expressed in art. Because the core of 5w4 is the detachment and objectivity of 5, the art of 5 tends to often be impersonal in nature. Emphasized with the desire by 4 to feel unity, enneagram 5w4 is often expressed in a search for connection. As with 4, 5w4 feel that the ego is defined not by what one is, but what one is not in contrast to everyone else. The internal logic of the 5w4 becomes "If am what you are not". It is this logic along with the detachment of 5 that makes the art of 5 often appears as cold, twisted and dark. Whereas the 4w5 is expressed with the emotional warmth of 4 at the core, there is no warmth in 5w4 art. I also want to stress that the differences between 4w5 and 5w4 is the direction of connection - 4w5 focuses on the internal self, to modify the self to fit into an ideal to reflect the 4's ideal of Holy Origin, whereas 5 is pointing outwards like 5 always does which reflects the 5's ideal of Omniscient. Another way to describe 5w4 art is to therefore call it abject, first defined by Julia Kristeva:

As Kristeva points out, abjection blurs the boundaries between object and subject. From the 5w4’s point of view, this would ultimately mean blurring the boundaries between the objective and detached nature of 5 mixed with the more sensible and subjective nature of 4. However, because the core is 5, emphasis is on detachment. 5w4 art is therefore highly impersonal with a focus on seeking knowledge and understanding to deflect the fear of 5, especially in relation to oneself. The fascination for abjection seems to embody the fear of 5w4 when looking from the outside. The 5w4 is not a subject as would be the case with 4, but it is not entirely an object either as would be the case with 5. Instead it is something in-between; the existence of 5w4 equals abjection itself. The abject personifies the way the 5w4 views and understands the world, especially in relation to the ego. Not quite an object, not quite a subject. This is why abjection is often expressed by being repulsive, morbid and grotesque: human but not quite. Understanding the abject therefore provides understanding of the ego which is a strong desire in 5w4. as the 5w4 INTP seems to experience oneself as being a liminal existence.

Abjection and the INTP
The fascination for the abject can perhaps best be explained by looking at the INTP. Not only is there a strong correlation between INTP and enneagram 5, but more emotional INTPs tend to often turn up as 5w4 and confuse themselves for INFPs. This is part because of the nature of inferior Fe which has a strong desire to connect and is one of the driving functions that helps the INTP to develop an emotional life. It is also common that INTPs that are 5w4 have a high and well-developed Fi which is not too surprising, and that many of them are interested in the arts and are artists themselves. However, INTPs are still Ti-dominant and are thus ruled by subjective logic and emotional detachment. This often results in the INTP taking upon an attitude of: humans are just machines made out of flesh. Here we can already see the subjectivity of enneagram 4 merging with the dominant objective perspective of 5. The end result is therefore neither man nor machine but a man-machine.

The driving forces behind this perception seem to lie in the general INTP-outlook of the world being Ti-dominants, and expressed in the constant struggle to connect with the world itself through inferior Fe. Indeed, the 5w4 is called the Iconoclast, and the iconoclast does that – attacks and breaks down what’s established making it abject. Dictionary.com defines iconoclast as:

noun
a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.
a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration.

Not only do 5w4 INTPs have an interest and fascination for 5w4 art, but the art produced by 5w4 INTPs tend to reflect a certain image of disconnection and apathy, especially in music (and I apologize beforehand due to the limited range, but they perhaps exemplify what I am trying to say the best), but it also tends to merge the desires of 5 and 4 into abject art:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9EPSXqXkE&feature=player_embedded"][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IpHczLeV8&feature=player_embedded"][/YOUTUBE]

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is interesting to note about these songs is the overwhelming SiTiFe being present. However, the way the lyrics are phrased does not seem to indicate dominant Si or even auxiliary Si but tertiary. In the first example we essentially have a dominant focus on TiSi apathy, but the apathy revolves around Fe and inability to connect. In the second example we have more of a focus on Si and it sounds like something I could write, coupled with Ti and Fe. The Fe is expressed in the sense of disconnection and Ti is more hidden but present in the overall apathy of disconnection simply being a logical and unavoidable result. In the third there is more of a balance between Ti and Si and Fe is present in the distance the lyrics create between mortality and divinity. Especially in the latter I think the desire of 4 to connect to the collective consciousness comes into play, as the ideal of 4 is strongly present. It is not on an individual level disconnection is felt, but it is a struggle between two ideas – man and god and the separation between the two.

I would also like to mention that in addition to the form of lyrical content, the genres are all cross-over. In the first example, it is melodic death/doom metal with an emphasis on doom metal; in the second example it is again melodic death/doom metal but with an emphasis on death metal; and in the third example it is simply melodic death metal without any clear definition if the emphasis lies on melody or death metal. In addition it is interesting to note that melodic death metal is one of the hardest-to-define heavy metal subgenres as it blends so many different styles into one more widely accepted style.

Last but not least, I would also like to contrast these examples with my own works and I think the similarities will become clearer:

There seems to be a general tendency with a focus on connection; mostly on a complete inability to do so. Either one has attempted to reach out and been declined or reaching out is not even possible. What’s important to note is in particular the strong Si present in all examples coupled with Ti apathy, reflecting an overall frustration about Fe. Si points towards a longing, a past that no longer exists based on the failures of Fe. This realization leads to Ti capitulation as is emphasized in the poems and the lyrics I provided. There is a sense of despair, of giving up, a pointlessness to it all.

I would say that even in abject art that is not specifically about music or poetry, this tendency persists. In Alien, especially in film four, the mutated alien-human hybrid desires to connect to the mother but is refused due to its abject nature. This tendency is reflected in the entire franchise but perhaps the most pronounced and clearly defined in the fourth film. There is a focus on the filth, the morbidity, that one is indeed not wanted or desired due to lacking specific qualities that would make connection possible. Being stuck between two worlds, the 5w4 is forced to endlessly seek out a way to combine the desires of 5 and 4 and find a balance between what's unique and what's acceptable, just like the INTP struggles with Ti apathy and individualism contrasted with the form of inferior Fe.