• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and Depression

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs experience everything in a hardcore, totally immersed way, albeit not in a typical style. The most important thing of note is the whole obsessiveness thing-that perpetually massive willpower is being devoted to something self-destructive-so that willpower and focus has to be somehow be redirected into something positive, regardless of the logical and philosophical reasons ("It's not a solution, it's a placebo" etc.)

Depressed INTJs aren't so much astoundingly sad as they are total zombies.

aparkedcar

MBTI Type
INTJ
well, I was in a really deep rut of depression and God delivered me from that, thankfully. But as for the whole not feeling anything, I totally understand. I wish I could really do something significant with my life right now, but I'm in college, and I just feel like I'm in a transitioning state, not really getting anywhere.....

MBTI Type
INxJ
INTJs experience everything in a hardcore, totally immersed way, albeit not in a typical style. The most important thing of note is the whole obsessiveness thing-that perpetually massive willpower is being devoted to something self-destructive-so that willpower and focus has to be somehow be redirected into something positive, regardless of the logical and philosophical reasons ("It's not a solution, it's a placebo" etc.)

Depressed INTJs aren't so much astoundingly sad as they are total zombies.

I always felt I was such an oddball for being so intense. When I want to learn about anything, I plunge in headfirst and don't come out of it until I feel I understand everything clearly. One of my exes was amazed I was always into and learning something new all the time. Sorry, for the tangent.

Zombie is totally right. I just go through the motions and most aspects in my life are stagnant. It's best to never let depression creep up on you in the first place.

Xenofile

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Comparing

I'm a 19-year-old INTJ with bipolar disorder, and I've found that during the periods when I've dealt with depression I've experienced both the depression of deep sadness and that of flat gnawing boredom (this later often while under the effects of mood stabilizers.) In my opinion, though the deep sadness feels like its gnawing a hole through you; it isn't as bad as feeling like a dead man walking.

As a somewhat off-topic note I figure I'll also give a bit of commentary on my experience with mania. I'm no stranger to skipping a night of sleep here or there, but when I was in a manic state I didn't sleep at all for 3 days straight, and after that only with the assistance of large doses of sleep meds (and even then I onl got around 4 hours a day.) My mood cycled between blind euphoria, intense adgitation, and fear over my conditions, which included visual and auditory hallucinations. Finally, it ended when anti-mania and anti-psychotic combined to knocked me out for 18 hours and the ensuing depression led me to turn myself in at the emergency room before I did anything harmful.

I've found that exercise is one of the only things that can really get my mind off depression, endorphins are magnificent.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When I have a depressive episode my tertiary Fi and inferior Se tend to emerge in very negative ways while my auxiliary Te tends to be suppressed, turning me into an emotional, sobbing, worrying, self-medicating wreck that can't get anything done.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I have a depressive episode my tertiary Fi and inferior Se tend to emerge in very negative ways while my auxiliary Te tends to be suppressed, turning me into an emotional, sobbing, worrying, self-medicating wreck that can't get anything done.

+1

I might add that during these times is when I've made some of the worst mistakes of my life - completely irrational and most often sensory related. (Over drinking, sex, reckless behaviour)

I can't seem to accomplish anything in this state, the 'zombie' rings true. On the outside I may appear to be alive and moving, but inside I'm in a state of either numb thoughtlessness, or anxious worry.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm on anti-depressives, they help me feel disconnected from the sense of what is "my life". They stopped me being a suicidal alcoholic and I also stopped feeling like crying for no reason.

What helped more, and actually turned my mind positive was that I've just started a new project in a completely new work environment, which seems (at the moment) to have endless opportunities and excitement.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know where everyone is coming from, here. When I get depressed I do it hardcore. Usually I just switch off and go almost cataleptic until I've untangled everything. That can take a while because I can't plan things out if I don't have a clear head, and I don't have a clear head if I haven't planned things out. After a good sulk I can usually sleep it off, and I feel really chipper the next day.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I am depressed I tend to internalize everything. It usually manifests as chest aches, sneezing, coughing, and general apathy all around. It's tough for me to deal with depressive episodes.

However, I found what helps me is:
Extraverting myself. It really helps. Not necessarily sharing your feeling directly with other people, but taking on projects with groups of people. Distract yourself from depression by working with others towards a common goal. That's what I do, I hope it helps DM.

Juliette

MBTI Type
INTJ
Fully agree that extroverting oneself helps in this case. I had a depression long before I knew I'm an INTJ and intuitively found the way out via opening to my family. Then I tried to analyze it and it looked like this:

Your "I" makes you hide and spend even more time on your own.
Your "N" brings you dark visions and all possible scenarios to sad ending. You spend more and more time drawing them out in your mind, caring about all the details, loosing yourself so much that those visions seem real.
Your "T" says your state is nobody's fault by yours, depression is a natual selection to eliminate the weak and you were selected. You want to hide even more, so you don't bother others with your state - they will not understand, anyway, and will laugh you out.
Your "J" says that you're wasting your time and should put your energy in something more productive. And you feel guilty.

I guess that Pink Floyd was very good in portraining INTJ / INTP in depression. "The Wall" album is good in describing the whole picture, including "The Trial" song, which shows the way out. And "The Final Cut" song is more or less how I felt wondering if I should open myself to people or not.

Hope it helps.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I cope with depression by dealing each second with each second. Depression is like an endless void-man, no matter how much I run, maneuver or try to out smart that guy is always there. Always right behind me I can feel him/her on my shoulder at all times. Always smiling at me. I often smile back and walk closer and closer and the closer I get the more his grin widens. But just as I get right next to him I spit in his face and run away again. I fight him frequently. Frequently I lose a little bit, like he takes a little piece of me and so I continue to search everywhere for inspiration. Little things that build me up and repair me. Things that make me stronger. From music to TV to books to sport to people to situations to experiences. Temporary distractions help too.

He'll never go away, I've basically accepted that. My depression is part of who I am, sure he keeps me from 'fulfilling my potential' but maybe my potential wouldn't be there without him. My point is that my battles with depression have made me 'stronger' and I cope by reminding myself that as long I stay fighting, then I am still alive with endless possibilities in front of me.

Although tbh sometimes I wish depression would seriously fuck off and die. What a cunt depression is, fuck me. There is no emoticon for how much of a dickhead it is. I should probably exercise too but I can't be arsed, happy people achieve fuck all anyway.

Apologies for this post.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
It's confirmation bias hell [thinking I'm in poor health, despite the fact that I'm not!, etc.], manifested in rigid movements of the body, and unwilling to get out of the house.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really get depressed. I love myself and the possibilities of life too much to ever get truly depressed. From what everyone has said, I guess the closest thing to depression for me is boredom. If I find something I love or feel committed to, I find a new lease on life. Or, if I feel really upset or guilty about something, I talk a long nap and wake up with a clear conscience. I'm great at compartmentalizing.

Anyway, I have a lot of depression in my family, and I think a good tip to beat it is to share your problems with someone else. As INTJs, we don't like to do that. But I think that keeping your depression to yourself is one of the worst ways to cope. Trying to fix your problem on your own (a huge tendency of INTJs) can be very detrimental. I love typology and everything, but I don't think the answer to depression lies in MBTI or Enneagram alone. I'll stop before I begin sounding like a Prozac commercial.

bscheff90

MBTI Type
INtJ
Yeah, how's that work out? Just wondering how you INTJs have avoided or coped with depression within your own life.

well, it depends on what is causing my feelings of depression.. Usually its a present circumstance that is bothing me, so i try to look to the future and realize that I ultimatly have control of where I end up in life