• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's: Can We Become Successful?

W

WALMART

I have this gnawing inside, a deep seated fear...

that nothing I do in life will lead to personal success. I lack the follow-through to become anything I wish to be, and I foresee a life ending in unexecuted ambition and potential.

Is it something that can be conquered?

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Same, though I'm not an ENTP. :(

I think since success and all the hard work it entails is something I kind of fear, but know that what I want has to be done or else I'll hate myself forever. So, I think in baby steps.

It doesn't always work, but when I manage it, I feel great.

Where exactly do you think you're not fulfilling your full potential, if you don't mind sharing? Or even if you don't, things become a lot easier when you break down a practical strategy for fulfilling your ambitions.

It doesn't solve the issue all at once, since it's working from the external to the internal (by changing your surroundings), and not the other way around (by changing your mindset). But, at the same time, internal strife over what you have/haven't done tends to feed off of its own unhealthy mindset and ends up going nowhere, so you have to draw from something else in order to hope to see any change - that something else in this case being the possible strategy I mentioned.

I really feel for you though, yo. That terror is always rolling around in the back of my mind.

W

WALMART

[MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION] ,

I see beautiful art, yet I never paint. I witness ingenious coding, yet I never program. I hear eloquent speeches, yet I never write.

I honestly cannot even say I have a negative perception of myself, or my ability to perform...

I simply have no drive. I see no end result, I envision no benefit. Everything in life is null and void.

I tend to work best in tight knit groups, where my inaction is kept in check by constant pressure to perform. I suppose it's why I make threads like this even, to feel driven by words such as yours. I like it. Thanks.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Np, lolz

So you're, like, an absurdist or something?

Out of curiosity, though, why would you even obligate yourself to paint or code or write? I guess it's not really obligating, but even considering it and setting up expectations for it?

You ENTPs and your lofty goals.

W

WALMART

Np, lolz

So you're, like, an absurdist or something?

Out of curiosity, though, why would you even obligate yourself to paint or code or write? I guess it's not really obligating, but even considering it and setting up expectations for it?

You ENTPs and your lofty goals.

a man's gotta have a trade, right? i cannot forage for food, i cannot construct a building, i cannot log, i cannot farm...

i've once described myself as an egotistical nihilistic buddhist agnostic. though i dislike labels, can't you tell?

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
a man's gotta have a trade, right?

i've once described myself as an egotistical nihilistic buddhist agnostic. though i dislike labels, can't you tell?

A jack of all trades? Maybe you should become a gondola man in Venice and pursue your interests in your own time. :eek:

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Only one?! Are you sure you are an ENTP? :)

Seriously now, to give you a glimpse of what the integration and acceptance of your Puer(a) might do for you, check out this (one of many) successful ENTP. Check out what drives him.

It's just an idea. Take it with a grain of salt (as if you could otherwise).
Good luck.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
You have no potential, because that implies you're supposed to be something. You're not.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION] ,

I see beautiful art, yet I never paint. I witness ingenious coding, yet I never program. I hear eloquent speeches, yet I never write.

Same here. I suppose I could do reasonably well at it if I wanted to but I don't see much need to. It's not so much the fear of failure that's holding me back, it's just that I don't enjoy the process of doing these things even though I do enjoy the end result. There's so much art and beautiful stuff out there already if you know where to look.

I honestly cannot even say I have a negative perception of myself, or my ability to perform...

I do have some self-doubts in some areas of life and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever do anything of reasonable significance. I think if I found something I was truly passionate about and could put to good use to society, I would be capable of doing so in the long run. I guess I worry about lacking the drive or short-term failures I might experience on the way even if I were to get long-term success.

[
I simply have no drive. I see no end result, I envision no benefit. Everything in life is null and void.

I wouldn't say I entirely lack drive but probably don't have enough to achieve an exceptionally high level of achievement.
I do see the end result, and envision in my head what I want it to look like. My problem is knowing the best pathway towards getting there.
I can see some benefit but often decide that the benefit may not be worth the effort it takes to achieve it.
I don't agree with your statement that everything is null and void.

I tend to work best in tight knit groups, where my inaction is kept in check by constant pressure to perform. I suppose it's why I make threads like this even, to feel driven by words such as yours. I like it. Thanks.

Working in tight knit groups where everyone knows exactly how much or how little you've achieved would make me nervous. I don't like being constantly watched like that. Yet, I know that it would motivate me to something rather than sit on my ass all day.

W

WALMART

Only one?! Are you sure you are an ENTP? :)

Seriously now, to give you a glimpse of what the integration and acceptance of your Puer(a) might do for you, check out this (one of many) successful ENTP. Check out what drives him.

It's just an idea. Take it with a grain of salt (as if you could otherwise).
Good luck.

Very intriguing!

At my old job, many of the things he described is what drove me to work. The whole 'serving people' thing, it made me both feel accomplished and obtain success within the work environment.

Thank you for all that.

You have no potential, because that implies you're supposed to be something. You're not.

But I want to be something. i'm a bad buddhist, i know. but i do not feel accomplished as if i were, say, my father, who has vast intellect of automobiles and what it takes to keep them functional.

[MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] ,

Your last comment particularly strikes me fascinating. For me, when working around others, I feel I make more attempt to not let myself be "outshined" by others. I work harder to produce more than they can produce, I work harder to produce better quality than they can produce. If I cannot, I will learn why they are better than me and adjust accordingly (assuming I'm capable... some people are naturally talented at things).

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
But I want to be something. i'm a bad buddhist, i know. but i do not feel accomplished as if i were, say, my father, who has vast intellect of automobiles and what it takes to keep them functional.

You're already who you are, and you have plenty of choices as to what you can and will do. Did your father obtain that knowledge on account of seeking to accomplish it? It seems more likely that he acquired the knowledge as a result of his love of cars. Even so, that love and knowledge would not define him, but simply describe what he loves and knows. He is still your father, and no one else, just as you are you, and no one else.

It is better not to worry about who you want to be. Better instead to focus on the things you can do.

W

WALMART

You're already who you are, and you have plenty of choices as to what you can and will do. Did your father obtain that knowledge on account of seeking to accomplish it? It seems more likely that he acquired the knowledge as a result of his love of cars. Even so, that love and knowledge would not define him, but simply describe what he loves and knows. He is still your father, and no one else, just as you are you, and no one else.

It is better not to worry about who you want to be. Better instead to focus on the things you can do.

Well, he became a mechanic and that led to him being a master of his craft. He was on his way at 18-19, I'm 23 now.

But I suppose the times have slightly changed since his day.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

that nothing I do in life will lead to personal success.
have you defined personal success? i mean, have you clearly defined what you need to have done by the end of your life to think of yourself as a success on your death bed? or do you more just have a hodge-podge frankenstein of floating systems/ideas bound together with wire-stitches and leather belts and call it your life plan?
try to engage Thinking more, and if you don't know how, then force yourself to spend time alone, not working on anything. sit in a chair in the dark and don't read. Thinking will take over, and sooner or later frankenstein will at least be wearing a suit and tie.
I lack the follow-through to become anything I wish to be, and I foresee a life ending in unexecuted ambition and potential.

Is it something that can be conquered?

yeah, stop smoking weed.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always thought Steve Jobs was an ENTP

R

Riva

I always thought Steve Jobs was an ENTP

Though I would like to think the same he is probably an ISTP or an xSTJ. I haven't seen much videos of him but xSTx seem to fit out of all types. Definitely not ENTP. He seem to be a bit rigid, quite private and doesn't seem to be very expressive or good at being expressive. ENTPs are flexible, not open, and are extremely expressive.

W

WALMART

have you defined personal success? i mean, have you clearly defined what you need to have done by the end of your life to think of yourself as a success on your death bed? or do you more just have a hodge-podge frankenstein of floating systems/ideas bound together with wire-stitches and leather belts and call it your life plan?
try to engage Thinking more, and if you don't know how, then force yourself to spend time alone, not working on anything. sit in a chair in the dark and don't read. Thinking will take over, and sooner or later frankenstein will at least be wearing a suit and tie.

yeah, stop smoking weed.

Yes, incredible proficiency in a set of skills or trades that can earn me income or the ability to survive no matter the conditions I am set into.

Even then, I may be unhappy with it. But for now, that's my goal.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Though I would like to think the same he is probably an ISTP or an xSTJ. I haven't seen much videos of him but xSTx seem to fit out of all types. Definitely not ENTP.

One of the great innovators of our time and he's an ISTP/xSTJ? I could possibly see ESTP.