• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs: Precision vs. Details

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What exactly is the difference between being precise and being detail oriented?

Several descriptions will talk about the precision found in INTPs. It's probably an INTP who devised a supercomputer to compute pi to millions of decimal places. For all practical purposes you only need to know the first few.

It's not as common but I've heard some people describing INTPs as detail oriented. Now, this is normally associated with sensing types. I suppose it depends on the type of details. INTPs tend to be portrayed as absent-minded and they are often the types missing some detail like their socks not matching and not realizing it. But maybe INTPs are quite attentive to the details in the areas that are important to us. We do have tertiary Si.

So what do you see as the difference between the two? Can you be precise without being detail oriented?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What exactly is the difference between being precise and being detail oriented?

Several descriptions will talk about the precision found in INTPs. It's probably an INTP who devised a supercomputer to compute pi to millions of decimal places. For all practical purposes you only need to know the first few.

It's not as common but I've heard some people describing INTPs as detail oriented. Now, this is normally associated with sensing types. I suppose it depends on the type of details. INTPs tend to be portrayed as absent-minded and they are often the types missing some detail like their socks not matching and not realizing it. But maybe INTPs are quite attentive to the details in the areas that are important to us. We do have tertiary Si.

So what do you see as the difference between the two? Can you be precise without being detail oriented?
It's about interconnection or being systematical. Precise has a central theme that connects everything whereas with detail-oriented, not necessarily. Precise is necessarily detail-oriented whereas the other way does not apply. And, yes to the bolded part. Everything that matters (everything that is logically connectable) is emphasized to infinitesimal levels whereas everything that don't matter to the system is irrelevant. This is why some people think that INTP's are the "worst listeners."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Precision is simplicity, the ultimate sophistication, and details are complications, something any fool can use to make solutions jumbled and less elegant. Precision is like marble, perfect and pristine.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's about interconnection or being systematical. Precise has a central theme that connects everything whereas with detail-oriented, not necessarily. Precise is necessarily detail-oriented whereas the other way does not apply. And, yes to the bolded part. Everything that matters (everything that is logically connectable) is emphasized to infinitesimal levels whereas everything that don't matter to the system is irrelevant. This is why some people think that INTP's are the "worst listeners."

Yup, precision seems to simply be a focus upon relevant details.
Details is, well, about all the details, whether they are essential to the basic core of the system or not.

S

Society

i think INTPs tend to be precise in their definitions and semantics, methodical and through. just like ISTPs will notice details out of place, INTPs will notice variables out of pattern, but otherwise the application of the word "detail oriented" applies more as a metaphor for variables rather then a concrete application of a trait.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think INTPs tend to be precise in their definitions and semantics, methodical and through. just like ISTPs will notice details out of place, INTPs will notice variables out of pattern, but otherwise the application of the word "detail oriented" applies more as a metaphor for variables rather then a concrete application of a trait.

Yup. I guess the precision comes out of getting into the details.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Mmm. I think that INTP precision is largely about making fine distinctions and subtle discriminations, whittling away chaff and filler until the form of an idea is sharp and clear - and we're often not that thrilled about working that idea until it *is* sharp and clear. I want a desktop Dalek that will scream "Define your terms! DEFINE YOUR TERMS!!" at the push of a button. I'm sure I can't be alone in this. :D

Which is very different to what many people mean by "detail oriented", which is "good at ticking a long list of boxes or inputting lots of similar data without making a mistake", in the best traditions of sensors...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the above responses. Based on what you've all said I am very precise in the INTP sense. I can be detail oriented or not. I have unintentionally worn mismatched socks to work. But I am also the one who notices shit like when a tile is missing from the floor. Maybe that's just me though. I also notice contradictions all the time and I don't go actively looking for them. They just seem to spontaneously pop out at me. One time my library was having a guest coming to present a magic show to children and the time listed on the website and the flier were listed differently. I always seem to be the first person to catch things like that.

The Type Talk book gives an example of the difference between S and N types regarding the time of day. If someone asks you "What time is it?" the S will most likely respond with 2:51 while the N would most likely respond with "almost three." Well I do both and it depends on context. If someone obviously looks like they're in a hurry, I'm more likely to give a time to the nearest minute. If they look to just be curious more than anything, I'll probably round to nearest 10 minute increment. It also depends if I'm reading from a digital or analog clock. From a digital clock, it's just easier to read off the exact time then to try to round off. Opposite is true with an analog clock.

With job applications, I have the tendency to include too much stuff initially and then try to whittle it down later. My reasoning is that many of the tasks and skills may seem quite minor but each of these can add something to the whole package and you never know who might be looking for that one skill. On the other hand, my supervisor changed her email address and I almost went ahead and submitted the application without changing it on there because I was trying to be more efficient by working from some template and normally what changes between applications is what tasks and skills I choose to emphasize. Luckily I caught the error just in time.

KDude

I want a desktop Dalek that will scream "Define your terms! DEFINE YOUR TERMS!!" at the push of a button. I'm sure I can't be alone in this. :D

I'm probably not INTP, but that'd be kinda cool. For awhile at least.

G

Ginkgo

One must see and say things precisely to see and describe the details of those things. Precision is also necessary to see and describe the "big picture". Precision requires a detailed understanding of where one thing ends and another begins.

KDude

I often see and seek to understand things precisely, but saying is another thing. I lose patience with some people. Most of the time I'd rather just get their trust rather than play 20 questions.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think precision (in the sense that you're using it here) is a Ti thing whereas "details" are more of a Si thing. I'm horrible at noticing details unless it's something that I'm actively focusing on at the time.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Perhaps precision is a result, and detail is a component.