• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs, what makes you feel insecure?

A

A_priori

I know two INTJs through work and I have to say they both display a tremendous amount of confidence and security. There are so many good qualities I see INTJs and actually find the older I get the better I gel with them. I find I'm almost a bit jelious of some of the qualities they posses and was wondering, just out of curiosity what makes you guys feel insecure?

Cheers

Usehername

On a mission
I have this terrible assumption that everyone else is trying as hard as I am to be accurate and fair and take all perspectives into account, which not everyone cares to do. Some people simply care to remain comfortable. So when someone critiques me, I assume they've gone through the dozens of chains of thinking, when not everyone has. I end up putting too much weight into their perspective, and its dissonance with my own perspective (compiled from the dozens of people who have genuinely taken the time to speak truth into my life) makes me lose confidence in myself.

Though maybe this is not an INTJ thing so much as a thoughtful and caring person thing.

A

A_priori

I have this terrible assumption that everyone else is trying as hard as I am to be accurate and fair and take all perspectives into account, which not everyone cares to do. Some people simply care to remain comfortable. So when someone critiques me, I assume they've gone through the dozens of chains of thinking, when not everyone has. I end up putting too much weight into their perspective, and its dissonance with my own perspective (compiled from the dozens of people who have genuinely taken the time to speak truth into my life) makes me lose confidence in myself.

Though maybe this is not an INTJ thing so much as a thoughtful and caring person thing.

Wow, intresting response.. Very insightful indeed!!

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When hyper-sociability, ass-kissing, and general lack of substance are rewarded or acknowledged over quiet diligence, efficiency, and actual results. On the flip side, this also indicates to me that my superior is incompetent and I can best target my efforts elsewhere...

Relationships in general often have me feeling insecure, but that may be a reflection of my inexperience as much as my type.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I think it is an INTJ thing. I agree with you somewhat but I don't give people anywhere near that much credit anymore. That is likely age/life experience more than how I actually feel. When questioned, I usually say - this is the data I have accumulated and it shows me that people generally do what is easiest, not necessarily what is right and what is fair. It's a refreshing change to see it and automatically ups the respect I have for that rare person. My relationship choices were the one thing that made me most insecure but even that has decreased quite a bit.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp

This.

When hyper-sociability, ass-kissing, and general lack of substance are rewarded or acknowledged over quiet diligence, efficiency, and actual results. On the flip side, this also indicates to me that my superior is incompetent and I can best target my efforts elsewhere...

Relationships in general often have me feeling insecure, but that may be a reflection of my inexperience as much as my type.

And this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Fear of failing in something you set your eyes on/got ambitious about? Is there a sense of insecurity there if things start to cut close on the border of success and failure for you INTJs?

dobages

MBTI Type
----
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fear of failing in something you set your eyes on/got ambitious about? Is there a sense of insecurity there if things start to cut close on the border of success and failure for you INTJs?

Right on the money.(Atleast for me)

W

WhoCares

The constant and pervasive belief that I am unlovable. So every little nuance of behaviour in others that confirms my belief makes me lose faith in humanity. I live in a hostile world in which I have no useful place.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When hyper-sociability, ass-kissing, and general lack of substance are rewarded or acknowledged over quiet diligence, efficiency, and actual results.

That would do it. Standing up in front of a lot of people and having to facilitate or present has always caused me some stress, though I have done a fair bit of it.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Anything which I don't see, being ignored, when others try to analyze me, needles..

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have quite a bit of insecurities. I would say when someone has a similar talent or niche to me and they are just as good at it or better, I get insecure. It is an opportunity to make a new friend, and talk about how we have the same interests, but off the bat, I may think of how they are stealing my spot in the group. I am aware it's not intentional on their part.

Or when people perceive me to be not as competent as I truly am.

Also, I am a very academic person, and if a lot is going on one semester and my grades or I struggle, that makes me insecure. I put a lot of focus on how i do in my courses. I am in the honor society so that adds a little extra layer.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The bolded is something I have faced a handful of times in my more recent adult life and I can say it's been a really big learning experience for me - to have taken these things so to heart when in the end they're the opinion of one or two or three people and many others feel or view things differently. They have shaken me to the core and really undermined my confidence/ sense of self, but in retrospect it's been a good learning experience.

It's funny, throughout life I have never really been insecure about my abilities - tasks, accomplishments, getting things done, any *deliverables* tied to work have been super easy for me. I don't have doubts about my ability to be able to do almost anything asked of me. However the judgments thrown my way around my character traits in terms of how I come across to people/interact have been the harshest pills to swallow and can honestly really grate on me - so I am insecure when held up to any expectations around exuberance, being really talkative/engaging, 'warmth', 'vulnerable', and a lot of extroverted/nurturing sorts of things, and can be resentful towards any expectations around that. I think this aligns too with the comment in this thread around ass-kissing in contrast to efficiency/performance.

(for the record, before I knew anything about mbti I first tested as intj; years later I decided infj was a better fit (this was almost twenty years ago). I think whichever it is, I'm a weaker version of the f/t and am pretty balanced in terms of this dichotomy - thus I'm posting in this thread. I also could relate to several of the comments. :)).

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

I used to suffer very badly from the fear of not being perfect.
I wasn't afraid of getting a D; I was afraid of not getting an A.
Thank goodness those days are gone!

One thing that still makes me insecure is when my supervisor begins describing something new that he wants me to do, that I have never done before.
On the outside I look calm, but on the inside I am panicking, afraid I won't be able to do what's expected of me.

Over time, I have learned that no matter what has ever been asked, I always perform that task to everyone's satisfaction, so there's no real need to panic.
I think it's a natural response because I know INTJs like to be COMPETENT at what they do, so in my mind, my fears and insecurities are playing out because I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE.
Once I've done a thing once, I am much less anxious the next time.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

Although they will still seem secure and confident in their competence, that insecurity turns into a subconscious overestimation of the risks that renders the next step very far away or obsolete. That's a catalyst for procrastination and overthinking, not making the perfect move.

I used to suffer very badly from the fear of not being perfect.
I wasn't afraid of getting a D; I was afraid of not getting an A.
Thank goodness those days are gone!

One thing that still makes me insecure is when my supervisor begins describing something new that he wants me to do, that I have never done before.
On the outside I look calm, but on the inside I am panicking, afraid I won't be able to do what's expected of me.

Over time, I have learned that no matter what has ever been asked, I always perform that task to everyone's satisfaction, so there's no real need to panic.
I think it's a natural response because I know INTJs like to be COMPETENT at what they do, so in my mind, my fears and insecurities are playing out because I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE.
Once I've done a thing once, I am much less anxious the next time.

I was exactly like that. Especially the "I was afraid of not getting an A" part. *laughs*

Concerning the work ethics, I found that the next step to my growth is to let go of that attachment to perfection that only creates performance blockages is to do the task while having in mind that it's okay to fuck it up. As in "It doesn't matter if my work is not as satisfying now. I will learn and make it better."
It's then more about the opportunity to learn, than the end result.

It is counter-intuitive, but the more relaxed you are, performing without a care but with intended sagacity, the better results you lock-in, and the faster your savoir-faire grows.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
How I am perceived by other people. Performance anxiety.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Looking stupid. It's fine to not know something. It's even okay to admit not knowing something. Because you can always learn about it.

But I've lost actual sleep over being wrongly perceived by others as incompetent.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Security is an illusion when there is so much uncertainty. It is said that doubt increases with knowledge.