• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs, what makes you feel insecure?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I really love your avatar.

Thank you!
I don't look down my nose at people, but I love cats and they can be somewhat like INTJs in their independence and aloofness.
I thought it was a funny picture and rather fitting for an INTJ.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
INTJs usually interact with the world via Te which makes us look confident and decisive but don't forget that the dominant function Ni is a perceiving function that leads to the contemplation of multiple possibilities so I'm inclined to think that it makes INTJs likely to be inwardly more uncertain and open-ended than we appear on the outside.

Another thing is that INTJs generally lack the need to seek external validation or to fit in. This individualistic streak may give the illusion of confidence.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Hugs in public. Hugs in private. Hugs in general.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hugs in public. Hugs in private. Hugs in general.
Are you suggesting hugs make INTJs feel insecure? Annoyed, more like, especially in public, or if we are busy, or if we don't know you well, or . . .

The Cat

Staff member
Are you suggesting hugs make INTJs feel insecure? Annoyed, more like, especially in public, or if we are busy, or if we don't know you well, or . . .

tomatoes and potatoes Captain;) the pleasure as always is mine, thy wit as ever is sharp enough to shave with. I applaud you.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm curious why you would say that. Could you explain?

What you said was: Security is an illusion when there is so much uncertainty. It is said that doubt increases with knowledge.

And the reason I said - "Usually only for INTPs" is because INTJs don't believe in uncertainty. There's no such thing. We believe in certainty and don't rest until we have it. The more knowledge we have, the more certain we are.

The first thing I thought when I read your comment is that it sounded like INTP gobbledygook.

In studying INTPs closely, I have seen them express exactly the sentiment you expressed.

To tell you the truth, what I wanted to say was, "Spoken like a true INTP." but I think that's against the rules, so I didn't.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
What you said was: Security is an illusion when there is so much uncertainty. It is said that doubt increases with knowledge.

And the reason I said - "Usually only for INTPs" is because INTJs don't believe in uncertainty. There's no such thing. We believe in certainty and don't rest until we have it. The more knowledge we have, the more certain we are.

The first thing I thought when I read your comment is that it sounded like INTP gobbledygook.

In studying INTPs closely, I have seen them express exactly the sentiment you expressed.

To tell you the truth, what I wanted to say was, "Spoken like a true INTP." but I think that's against the rules, so I didn't.

You're not wrong.

Most of the knowledge NTJs acquire is meant to be practical. NTPs harvest a database of information that seems useless to NTJs. However, dealing with the same piece of theoretical information, we go about it to find conclusions and assert certainly, while NTPs thrive in the open ended questions and the mystery of nothingness that is on top of the accumulated knowledge they have.
That's exactly why they seem disoriented and unsure while we give the impression of confidence and certainty.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

You’re saying that INTJs don’t believe in uncertainty but you’ve not explained why. Also, uncertainty is not something that you believe in or not. I don’t need to believe in uncertainty to be uncertain.

You do admit that INTJs are on a quest for certainty but that’s only because we lack certainty that’s why we attempt to make things more certain. But you see this is a never-ending quest for certainty because there is no end to knowledge. Show me an INTJ who is satisfied with the knowledge that he or she has acquired and I’d say this person is probably not an INTJ.

Seeking knowledge is double-edged sword. The more you pursue knowledge, the more you know but at the same time, the more you realize that there is so much more that you don’t know and perhaps won’t ever know.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You're not wrong.

Most of the knowledge NTJs acquire is meant to be practical. NTPs harvest a database of information that seems useless to NTJs. However, dealing with the same piece of theoretical information, we go about it to find conclusions and assert certainly, while NTPs thrive in the open ended questions and the mystery of nothingness that is on top of the accumulated knowledge they have.
That's exactly why they seem disoriented and unsure while we give the impression of confidence and certainty.

I disagree with your classification. From my observation, there are certainly INTJs who acquire knowledge with no consideration for immediate practical application and there are definitely ENTPs that seek practical knowledge. As what Carl Jung said about the introverted intuitive type, “The moral problem comes into being when the intuitive tries to relate himself to his vision, when he is no longer satisfied with mere perception and its æsthetic shaping and estimation, but confronts the question: What does this mean for me and for the world? What emerges from this vision in the way of a duty or task, either for me or for the world? The pure intuitive who represses judgment or possesses it only under the spell of perception never meets this question fundamentally, since his only problem is the How of perception”.

ENTPs, with Ne as dom function, are constantly seeking possibilities in the external world. I wouldn’t say they are uninterested in practical knowledge. Carl Jung said this about the extraverted intuitive type, “Since his intuition is largely concerned with outer objects, scenting out external possibilities, he readily applies himself to callings wherein he may expand his abilities in many directions. Merchants, contractors, speculators, agents, politicians, etc., commonly belong to this type”.

(Quotations are from the Classics in the History of Psychology)

Anyway this is becoming off-topic.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Any scenario where reality wins over their false vision about world.

The Cat

Staff member
Hosting parties they have to attend.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You’re saying that INTJs don’t believe in uncertainty but you’ve not explained why. Also, uncertainty is not something that you believe in or not. I don’t need to believe in uncertainty to be uncertain.

You do admit that INTJs are on a quest for certainty but that’s only because we lack certainty that’s why we attempt to make things more certain. But you see this is a never-ending quest for certainty because there is no end to knowledge. Show me an INTJ who is satisfied with the knowledge that he or she has acquired and I’d say this person is probably not an INTJ.

Seeking knowledge is double-edged sword. The more you pursue knowledge, the more you know but at the same time, the more you realize that there is so much more that you don’t know and perhaps won’t ever know.

I don't have anything else to say.