• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Learning "Disability"

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I was wondering if any NTs, more specifically INTPs, have or have had any difficulty learning at the same speed or in the same style as your peers in school.

For example:

When I was first starting in school, I was put into special education for reading, (one on one time each day away from the other kids), because I wasn't learning how like the other kids. Once it clicked for me, I was reading chapter books immediately, leaving the rest of my class in the dust.

Sometimes I feel like I am not grasping material as well as the others in my classes, but once I spend some serious time organizing the material, (alone), I usually exceed my professor's expectations.

One reason why I think this is:

When teachers piece information together bit by bit, class by class, I feel extremely frustrated and like I don't have a clue what they're trying to teach us because I can't see the whole picture right away. I tend to not learn anything until I go home and learn it all at once. I have to be able to place the details into a system that I can visualize before I can really integrate the information into my brain.

If I've already established the relevant system in my head, I am extremely quick to learn new things.

Anyone else?

W

WALMART

I'm the same way is many respects, minus the specialized learning. For me, school was like scaffolding, I was capable of picking up subjects with relative ease because I am solid at utilizing what I know to learn more.

People in math would get upset cause I slept through everything and never did homework yet always managed high test scores. Once I knew 2+2 the rest kinda fell in place :blush:

I should state when confronting something my intuition cannot help I tend to make silly decisions or arrive at silly conclusions. I usually have to get burnt pretty hard to learn something.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's more of an intuitive issue, than a specifically NT issue, from my experience, waiting for the "click".

G

Glycerine

I was put in the slow kids group but within a year or two, I was put in the highest reading group. But then again, I just had learned English a year before I started elementary school.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always had pretty good reading and math scores, algebra was a huge challenge though but geometry was easy. The reason is im an e5, geometry i can just see the shapes in my head and visualize the numbers, algebra has too many formulas for too many different types of problems, hard to remember it all

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sounds about right OP.

Study after study shows most teachers cater for S and Te, even colleges and even NFP profs (Te).

I cannot stress this enough because what you describe sounds like normal Ti and Ne. NFPs usually don't understand you because they rely on their Te (which is much quicker and much more shallow than your Ti). STJs can actually make great teachers for you if they are real professionals (you'll need to get lucky to find those).

Not only do you need to see the big picture to grasp the material, but Ti is slow and meticulous. Makes for great analysts with attention to detail but most people without Ti never really grasp the intricate interconnections you ponder.

If that is any consolation, I believe with age and experience in a certain field (Si helps) you can become a guru like many other INTPs. Plus Ti-Ne gives you trans-contextual thinking that most people never even begin to develop.

Good luck.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering if any NTs, more specifically INTPs, have or have had any difficulty learning at the same speed or in the same style as your peers in school.

For example:

When I was first starting in school, I was put into special education for reading, (one on one time each day away from the other kids), because I wasn't learning how like the other kids. Once it clicked for me, I was reading chapter books immediately, leaving the rest of my class in the dust.

Sometimes I feel like I am not grasping material as well as the others in my classes, but once I spend some serious time organizing the material, (alone), I usually exceed my professor's expectations.

When teachers piece information together bit by bit, class by class, I feel extremely frustrated and like I don't have a clue what they're trying to teach us because I can't see the whole picture right away. I tend to not learn anything until I go home and learn it all at once. I have to be able to place the details into a system that I can visualize before I can really integrate the information into my brain.

If I've already established the relevant system in my head, I am extremely quick to learn new things.

Anyone else?

I'm not this way so much with more academically oriented material but when it comes to hands-on physical tasks and people skills I'm definitely one of the slow ones. I remember certain units in phys ed and home-ec would just be hell for me. I'm very systems minded in my learning, which works very well in more conceptually oriented classes but with more physical stuff you just have to practice and get the feel of it which just isn't precise enough for an INTP. How do you know when you've got the feel of it? I've always been physically clumsy. I remember having the hardest time mastering certain strokes in the swimming unit and learning to use a sewing machine was hell. I have a hard enough time trying to thread a needle and use a scissors as is.

And don't get me started on social things, I was even more retarded in that area.

Sounds about right OP.

Study after study shows most teachers cater for S and Te, even colleges and even NFP profs (Te).

I cannot stress this enough because what you describe sounds like normal Ti and Ne. NFPs usually don't understand you because they rely on their Te (which is much quicker and much more shallow than your Ti). STJs can actually make great teachers for you if they are real professionals (you'll need to get lucky to find those).

Not only do you need to see the big picture to grasp the material, but Ti is slow and meticulous. Makes for great analysts with attention to detail but most people without Ti never really grasp the intricate interconnections you ponder.

If that is any consolation, I believe with age and experience in a certain field (Si helps) you can become a guru like many other INTPs. Plus Ti-Ne gives you trans-contextual thinking that most people never even begin to develop.

Good luck.

Why would STJs be good for INTPs? They are Te users not Ti users. Or does the Te complement the Ti somehow?

How is Ti attention to detail different than Si attention to detail?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

For example:

Anyone else?

I had the exact same experience with reading. I also struggle with the bit by bit thing which is why I think I struggle with learning math. I tend to do better when presented with more information at a time than less. For instance when I took anatomy I really struggled at first because our curriculum went from the cellular level up and trying to memorize the structures of cells with no perspective on why they were formed a certain way seemed impossible. As soon as we got to organs and organ systems I was running circles around people I could intuit how things were formed based on the function of the organ.
I get most frustrated by teachers who want you to basically try to work things out on your own and then correct each of your mistakes. I had a physics teacher like this who would basically lead the class through a bunch of false conclusions before revealing the actual formula and it wrecked me. I HATE working of my own assumptions when I know that I'm not experienced in a certain field. What's the point? It only confuses me later. Why no start out with what is true and then let us apply it to things?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

For example:

Anyone else?

I had the exact same experience with reading. I also struggle with the bit by bit thing which is why I think I struggle with learning math. I tend to do better when presented with more information at a time than less. For instance when I took anatomy I really struggled at first because our curriculum went from the cellular level up and trying to memorize the structures of cells with no perspective on why they were formed a certain way seemed impossible. As soon as we got to organs and organ systems I was running circles around people I could intuit how things were formed based on the function of the organ.
I get most frustrated by teachers who want you to basically try to work things out on your own and then correct each of your mistakes. I had a physics teacher like this who would basically lead the class through a bunch of false conclusions before revealing the actual formula and it wrecked me. I HATE working of my own assumptions when I know that I'm not experienced in a certain field. What's the point? It only confuses me later. Why no start out with what is true and then let us apply it to things?

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

For example:

Anyone else?
When I was first starting in school, I was put into special education for reading, (one on one time each day away from the other kids), because I wasn't learning how like the other kids. Once it clicked for me, I was reading chapter books immediately, leaving the rest of my class in the dust. > exactly the same here dont worry I am the same :D Like for a example I have to do most of my math by online people on youtube because in class it just doesnt make sense and I can go at my speed and go back and forth. I am supposed to have some sort of learning disability or something along the line of individualized education plans but my parents never really looked into and always frowned upon labeling people which in mind is a bunch of shit.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

For example:

Anyone else?
When I was first starting in school, I was put into special education for reading, (one on one time each day away from the other kids), because I wasn't learning how like the other kids. Once it clicked for me, I was reading chapter books immediately, leaving the rest of my class in the dust. > exactly the same here dont worry I am the same :D Like for a example I have to do most of my math by online people on youtube because in class it just doesnt make sense and I can go at my speed and go back and forth. I am supposed to have some sort of learning disability or something along the line of individualized education plans but my parents never really looked into and always frowned upon labeling people which in mind is a bunch of shit.

W

WhoCares

I am also frustrated by traditional learning methods. I'm a scanner, I scan for the pertinent info. Put it together and done. Fast and efficient. But I was never a high achiever in school because the primary learning methods are boring and I cant hold my attention there long enough.

In my workplace all our training consists of slow and tedious videos with miles of repetition, I just skip to the test and intuit the answers. Works for me. I spent nearly every class in my life reading novels until the prompt to start whatever questions or exercises were on offer to cut the boredom.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Wolfie: I think possibly the real problem is that the IN types will see far more possibilities in a piece of learing. Most of the population sees the obvious immediately and learn. INs don't know which 99 of their 100 options are wrong. It wasn't so much of a problem for me at school mind you but, even on here, when I read "Welcome to TypC" I thought I was being welcomed to that subset thing involving 5 colours and answered accordingly.

BeBe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
School and reading was fine for me and I was in mostly advanced classes. I liked the structure because it was easy to do nothing and still do well. I could listen and not take notes and remember everything for exams. Essays were written on their due dates. It was a breeze. College has be a completely different experience and I don't like it. :mad: