• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ask an NT witch anything.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I'm in the process of writing it all down as a philosophical document, so I can't do it all here. Probably nothing you don't already know. But it's all centered around balance. Everything points to it.

Here's a cool little thing from chemistry. Spontaneous processes go in the direction of the greatest entropy, or randomness. To cause a nonspontaneous reaction, work and energy must be applied. This is a basic underlying process, and reflects the principles of balance and harmony. Chaos (high entropy) is the state of both death and creation. The universe and life goes through cycles of order and chaos, each time rearranging itself in different ways. A billion different permutations of reality. Everything works in cycles, in macrocosm and microcosm. The principle of balance works in macrocosm and microcosm, of general to specific. The way this process relates to humans is the following.

We are constantly in different situations. No 2 moments will be exactly the same. Each point in time will have similar situations, but different circumstances. The universe was in a different arrangement. It is a cycle.
Life requires a delicate balance in its environment to survive. I survives within a certain range of air pressure, temperature, and gravitational force; it needs a certain amount of water in the body, a certain range of pH, a certain balance of chemical compounds and elements. Life depends on balance.
Life needs a certain amount of order to survive, on the basic molecular level; we need gravity and air pressure to keep our molecules from floating off into space.
Order and disorder, balance and imbalance exist on a spectrum. On the end of extreme order, life ceases to exist because life exists through change. The environment changes all the time, and life must adapt. Life is movement, and rigid order limits movement (like molecules in a solid state- there are no life forms which exist as complete solids). On the end of extreme disorder life ceases to exist, because we have no bodily structure, and our environments are so chaotic the necessary balance is upset. In death, our bodies decay and go back to a state of entropy (a spontaneous process, with the lack of work our cells had been doing).
So since we can't have complete chaos or order to survive, we must have a balance.

Here we have several principles:
The universe is cyclical.
It goes through cycles of order and chaos.
(When we have relatively equal portions of the two we have balance, when one is greater than the other we have imbalance.)
It goes through cycles of balance and imbalance.
Life requires balance to survive.

A balanced state with change within it, where life thrives is an example of another chemical principle- dynamic equilibrium.
LeChatelier's principle states: If a chemical system at equilibrium experiences a change in concentration, temperature, volume, or partial pressure, then the equilibrium shifts to counteract the imposed change and a new equilibrium is established.
This principle can be applied more generally to systems of life(forms): If a system at equilibrium (in balance) experiences a change, then the system will shift to counteract that change until (a new) balance is restored.

If we apply this to the environments humans have created for themselves, shaping the environment takes work and energy. Otherwise entropy and chaos would ensue. Thus, it takes energy and work for humans to create and maintain balance with each other, preserving the greatest amount of life.
We can infer that life, in order to perpetuate itself, is driven by nature to consciously go in the direction of balance. (Unconsciously we become more random, thus necessitating this effort.) This is what people are attempting to describe when they talk about ethics. Ethics is the study of how to create and maintain balance for the purpose of preserving life.

Obviously there is no one right way since I have already said that no 2 situations are exactly alike, and will involve different individuals. Most of the time this will just happen, if people go toward their personal well being, since groups are made up of individuals. But if each of us strives for balance, then based on some of the underlying principles of reality we should have results we like, which are consistent with our well being.

And the last point. If one wants to find "meaning" in human existence, look at the patterns in history. History is a cycle of disharmony and harmony. The process of creating harmony through balance is a learning process and increases consciousness. So the purpose of human existence is to learn. A human learns throughout its life (and must in order to survive), and the pattern could be expanded to the more general. Since each situation is unique, each of us and each group has the opportunity to learn balance and harmony in a different way. History goes through cycles of gradually increasing in consciousness, and then forgetting, then learning it all again. I believe each cycle is slightly different. We spiral up, then spiral down again.

This part I can't prove, as it is more mystical. But almost every ancient pagan society, from the Mayans to the Egyptians to the Hindus, has some form of this belief. It's ancient wisdom. You can choose to accept it or not, but since it's based on cycles and patterns in reality, it is probably as real as anything could get. (This is how ancient people learned before modern science- they looked at patterns and principles, then applied them to microcosms and macrocosms.

W

WALMART

When you see something dying, do you perform any ritualistic action towards it?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you see something dying, do you perform any ritualistic action towards it?

I do kind of say a little blessing for its spirit to have a peaceful transition to the afterlife.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a question: what would the NT's be doing in a Neolithic tribe?

Edit: make that Paleolithic.

What would the types and typology look like back then? This might be a good thing to consider when typing pagans.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Here's a question: what would the NT's be doing in a Paleolithic tribe?.
Strategizing and predicting about survival, such as hunting, gathering, weather/climate, migration, medicine. Also, helping to invent and improve symbols, language, and communication. They probably did some metacognition.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've read several profiles about INTP's being attracted to mysticism. Ti needs to figure things out, and tends to get bored with things which are easy to figure out. Something absurdly complex like quantum physics, or so mysterious it would take a lifetime to figure out, will provide a lifetime of interest. It makes sense to me. You are free to disagree. I've explained my views on incorporating the mysterious and subjective in several places on this thread.

So you have your Christian "mysticism" and I have my pagan "mysticism. Is one more NT than another?

Neither are NT, and I'm not a Christian. I view prayers more as affirmations, a ritual to relieve my anxieties. Im sorry if I sound negative but I view Wicca or mysticism as bunkum, just another clique that I don't want to be associated with. As long as it is harmless and doesn't interfere with my life people can carry on performing their rituals. Unfortunately time and again religion has been used to perpetrate ignorance and violence.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither are NT, and I'm not a Christian. I view prayers more as affirmations, a ritual to relieve my anxieties. Im sorry if I sound negative but I view Wicca or mysticism as bunkum, just another clique that I don't want to be associated with. As long as it is harmless and doesn't interfere with my life people can carry on performing their rituals. Unfortunately time and again religion has been used to perpetrate ignorance and violence.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. But Wicca if practiced correctly is much less harmful than monotheism, because they are not exclusive or dogmatic. And they don't proselytize.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strategizing and predicting about survival, such as hunting, gathering, weather/climate, migration, medicine. Also, helping to invent and improve symbols, language, and communication. They probably did some metacognition.

Sounds like what I'm thinking. Probably designing physical structures and drawing sacred symbols on cave walls as well.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just didnt know what neolithic means, I am no native speaker. SHould have prolly asked the dictonary but I thought maybe I could find out in discussion :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a cool little thing from chemistry. Spontaneous processes go in the direction of the greatest entropy, or randomness. To cause a nonspontaneous reaction, work and energy must be applied. This is a basic underlying process, and reflects the principles of balance and harmony. Chaos (high entropy) is the state of both death and creation. The universe and life goes through cycles of order and chaos, each time rearranging itself in different ways. A billion different permutations of reality. Everything works in cycles, in macrocosm and microcosm. The principle of balance works in macrocosm and microcosm, of general to specific. The way this process relates to humans is the following.
An interesting exposition, which will bear more careful consideration. At first glance, I have a couple of questions.

1. In this perspective, what is the source of the work/energy responsible for the increasing complexity of life in the universe?

2. Are you considering the universe as an isolated system? A system at equilibrium requires an external action to disturb that equilibrium. What, then, would serve that function in our universe?

W

WALMART

I asked, cause when my cats bring in something dying I tend to focus on the life before me and try to project my knowledge of suffering upon the creature.

I don't know if it works, but it puts my mind at ease.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just didnt know what neolithic means, I am no native speaker. SHould have prolly asked the dictonary but I thought maybe I could find out in discussion :)

Oh ok. Sry, didn't think of that.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here is an interesting potential NT witch/alchemist, although she and greenfairy could easily be NF, but who cares!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An interesting exposition, which will bear more careful consideration. At first glance, I have a couple of questions.

1. In this perspective, what is the source of the work/energy responsible for the increasing complexity of life in the universe?

2. Are you considering the universe as an isolated system? A system at equilibrium requires an external action to disturb that equilibrium. What, then, would serve that function in our universe?

1. As I understand it, there is no source of energy; there is energy all around, and living beings are concentrated energy. Our cells use ATP and all that. Energy comes from atoms vibrating. The complexity just happens and is a passive process- creating order usually takes work. If the temperature is really low, then movement all but stops, and so substances freeze and can be more rigid and ordered, but then there is no change either, and no life. I didn't go past Chem 120-130, so I'm going to have to research this some more (for the second question too); but for my purposes the principle of spontaneous vs. nonspontaneous is in the context of a system involving living beings and sufficient matter and energy for constant change. The whole universe could be thought of as being in constant change because it includes everything, so dynamic systems will eventually effect static systems, but we are specifically talking about life on Earth.

2. Once again I'm referring specifically to the Earth, which is an environment which has the particular conditions sufficient for life- and so the global ecosystem is the larger system; smaller systems are ones which are going through cycles of balance and imbalance. I would not consider them closed, so the analogy is not direct. However, the principle still applies; life requires a balance to continue, so it will shift to counteract a disturbance if it is to continue, thus restoring the balance. An ecosystem operates in a dynamic equilibrium so to speak. Chemistry is only a small part of the world, focused on chemical components, but the patterns are reflected in a slightly more complex fashion.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What makes you think that the energy you sense is actually there? Sure, you perceive it, but is there anything external which indicates that it's really there. I don't think merely pointing to the existence of biological, atomic, and quantum energy is sufficient to explain this. It seems as if the only external objective indicator is the framework you use to connect the empirically documented energy with your perception of it.

Similarly, spells seem to parallel this psychologically. From my admittedly limited understanding of them, they simply involve harmonizing one's perspective with reality and attempting to fulfill one's own desires and goals while remaining in harmony with everything else. This just seems like a rational approach based on knowledge of psychology and taking a "win-win" approach with people.