• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] What is your favorite environment? Especially INTPs

Musicallogic

MBTI Type
INTP
Big city? Little town? Alone with nobody for miles? Also wondering if you have noticed an environment that attracts a greater percentage of intelligent people.

I love vast and austere places especially mountains. A few people are ok but don't make me deal with the ignorant mobs that fill the cities. (I acknowledge there are smart individuals who live in cities...I just never seem to run into them)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's funny, because I have always thought the population density in large cities makes it hard for me to hear my thoughts. I took some time to learn to tune out the outside noise while still being able to perceive it all visually. However, now being able to do this in the most crowded and loud place is... orgasmic.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alone (although non lethal wild animals allowed), deep in the woods, preferably at night/full moon/clear sky. I love the forests where I live in full moon light glow, no industrial/city lights to mess up the sky, the soft reflections of the lit up sky on my surroundings. Taking in the surroundings while thinking about whatever I can come up with.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like extremes. Either a bustling urban environment (especially late at night) or out alone or with a few people in the middle of nature. I really like swimming alone in the ocean, it seems to be the best place for me to think without becoming anxious and I feel connected to everything.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A cool city surrounded by nature and lots of activities and culture.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I love being in nature and being on walks and other activities like that and it helps me come up with ideas and organize my thoughts (any other intps think that the best of ideas and solutions come while doing physical labor I know for me its true) However I love the city and I like the sounds smells and new people (not interacting with them just watching) who I encounter so in summary I enjoy the city because of the diversity and constant change of my thoughts and judgments. However there is something to be said about walking at 2-3 in the morning in a rural town with nobody else out and enjoying the calm and cool atmosphere and examining things without people.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Yessss, to all the above!

I especially enjoy really hot, humid areas with forest and swamp where I live - alone, preferably. The sound of the cicadas throws me into something of a zen mode, and I can just sit and think for hours.

Really gritty and run down ghetto areas in the city are something I enjoy as well. Graffiti, water damage and rusting metal work are a personal favorite. But since those are pretty terrible conditions...well, I still like the swamp.

I've never had the pleasure of experiencing any other kind of environment for long periods of time, but the places you all describe sound wonderful. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A few people are ok but don't make me deal with the ignorant mobs that fill the cities. (I acknowledge there are smart individuals who live in cities...I just never seem to run into them)

I am one. :smile:

A cool city surrounded by nature and lots of activities and culture.

:thumbup:

I prefer living in the city to some quieter more desolate place and yes, I am strong introvert. I like having lots of options for things to do and places to see and this does not always involve another person. I can just blend into a city and tune out the hustle and bustle around me. I think it would be harder to do in a smaller town where everyone seems to know each other and there's more gossip.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I am one. :smile:

:thumbup:

I prefer living in the city to some quieter more desolate place and yes, I am strong introvert. I like having lots of options for things to do and places to see and this does not always involve another person. I can just blend into a city and tune out the hustle and bustle around me. I think it would be harder to do in a smaller town where everyone seems to know each other and there's more gossip.
That is true.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could there be a correlation between introverts and their prefered living environments be linked to whatever environments they grew up in and are familiar with?

I grow up in a small rural town, with forests less than a kilometer away. And not very surprisingly, my prefered location is pretty much the environment I have grown to like.

Had I grown up in a city, I might have prefered that instead. Being familiar with it. Don't know but it's a possibility.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Could there be a correlation between introverts and their prefered living environments be linked to whatever environments they grew up in and are familiar with?

I grow up in a small rural town, with forests less than a kilometer away. And not very surprisingly, my prefered location is pretty much the environment I have grown to like.

Had I grown up in a city, I might have prefered that instead. Being familiar with it. Don't know but it's a possibility.
I dont think so cause we dont really have as much emotional ties to things where as some of the more tradition loving extroverts might. I also grew up in rural areas but I would much rather prefer to live in the city because theres so much to see and do. I think that for INTPs especially are downfall is also our strength which is people, we can pull them people apart and see how x+y+z equals the person in front of you and we enjoy watching them because its different which I think intps enjoy because they want to understand things so new things intrigues us but we have problems connecting to them because the majority of them have completely different ways of living then we do and think differently and our outlook on life for the most part is different.(Hopefully I dont sound like a crazy person and people understand my point)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fair enough, just trying to understand my own preference here.

My enneagram type nine might also have something to do with my preference. :tongue:

Musicallogic

MBTI Type
INTP

I was born in the desert, but I have lived in almost every archetypal environment. I still like dry, places better than humid, but I tend to like cold climates now. My dream home would be 1000 acres in northern Montana. I get agitated when I'm stuck in climates I don't like. (Hot/Humid) Despite the INTP lack of emotional attachment to places we seem to have a Fe link to mood/environment. I only put on music that matches my mood, and I tend to do the same thing with my surroundings. If I can't think clearly enough (usually when beset by constant interruption), I move to a clearer space. I can see the anonymity of a large city being a draw. You are basically invisible and have plenty of interesting people/things to deconstruct and analyze. That said, the frantic pace scatters my thoughts and I get worn out before long.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in the middle of the woods. mountains optional, hills are preferred. Also, there has to be at least 1 body of water within 5 acres of my house.

EDIT:

replace neighbors with more trees and stuff and you would have what I was describing (read this after i posted lol)

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I live in the SF Bay Area, in the east bay, and I can almost never face going into San Francisco. It's terrible for me. I know I am blowing it out of proportion, but something about it being really crowded and busy and sprawling just really makes me uncomfortable. I prefer to live around metropolitan areas because I have my whole life- it's familiar. However, I have always felt a strong pull towards rural areas and have often dreamed of making a transition. I think what really keeps me from doing it is the fear of a lack of opportunities/experiences in a more rural setting. I don't like feeling limited, yet I do enjoy feeling isolated. Strange!

W

WALMART

It's all good, baby.

But not Detroit. Anything... but... Detroit.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's all good, baby.

But not Detroit. Anything... but... Detroit.

Lol, I sometimes watch that series called "Hardcore Pawn" which takes place in Detroit and often think to myself "Ok, I might travel to many places in the world, but Detroit is definately not ever going to be one of them! :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Big city? Little town? Alone with nobody for miles? Also wondering if you have noticed an environment that attracts a greater percentage of intelligent people.

I love vast and austere places especially mountains. A few people are ok but don't make me deal with the ignorant mobs that fill the cities. (I acknowledge there are smart individuals who live in cities...I just never seem to run into them)

My ideal environment is a tree in a jungle next to New York City or Tokyo. :p Preferably with a college nearby.

So either relatively large city or access to one, and also access to wild nature. The city I live in now isn't really big, but it's not small either, and it has a lot of parks and trails and is close to the Smokey Mountains. I couldn't do without the culture and intellect of a city, and all the fun things to do; but I need trees and animals too.

Musicallogic

MBTI Type
INTP
I couldn't do without the culture and intellect of a city, and all the fun things to do; but I need trees and animals too.

The Front Range in Colorado is a great mix. There is lots of access to very wild areas but Denver, Fort Collins, and Boulder have plenty of intellectual/artistic venues... Sadly after Denver traded T-Bow, God got angry and burned half of my favorite hiking spots.