• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The pesky j and p.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Is there any chance that people can be between types or have some tendencies from a different type because if so I would like to say that I am mostly a p with some j tendencies. (I am going with the most popular characteristics that I have and most easily identifiable and not a slippery type situation): I love gathering knowledge for no practical reason especially on the subject of god and religion. In my classes for example I am mostly known for pulling out statistics that have nothing to do with the subject we are talking about. I keep myself well away from people and have trouble gaining friends because I cant look on someone as a friend until they make it past my parameters and my walls I have built. I have trouble engaging in social interactions ie at a family gathering you are most likely to see me with my nose in a book. Hard for me to look at things from a different perspective ie My sister is making food I analyze it and see that she is adding to much pepper she doesnt listen so I go and take the pepper out she then gets angry I then try to rationalize it with her but it doesnt work. Whenever I go into new places or am walking I put people on a risk factor based usually on there company attire and there general attitude, I also put myself into situations in my mind and try to come up with solutions ie somone attacks me from the rear how do I respond to it. I am somewhat manipulative and usually can come up with ways to manipulate people ie Mr.Thorpe my english teacher enjoys intelligent discussion and so I debate him on certain issues like how shylock the jew was actually the victim and end up his favorite. My peers in my grade think I am retarded because I get bad grades and dont participate but it is because usually I am in my mind trying to answer solutions and problems not thinking about the stupid thing were doing in class. I love to be on my own however a companion who enjoys intelligent discussion and debate is most always welcome. I am hoping to either become a psychiatrist or a philosopher of religion and science. I love risk and chess and general games of strategy. I like to work alone on projects because I dont want to have to rely on others because they could interfere with my ideas and my plan. Especially in subjects like English for stuff like writing our own short story I come up with a plot line that could easily be over 400-500 pages but I have it do in 2 days and the max is 3 pages and so I come up with something dumb and meaningless at the last minute because I couldn't condense my original idea into 2 pages. I procrastinate. I am messy without trying to. I miss appointments and important dates because I forgot it because in my mind I am thinking of something very much more important. I re-think my ideas and beliefs on subjects like abortion and god all the time. If you have read this far I thank you and want your opinion on whether I am a intj or a intp. Bye.:hi:

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTP. That wall of text was atrocious. I couldn't even stand to read the whole thing.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP. That wall of text was atrocious. I couldn't even stand to read the whole thing.
Seconded. Although I did read the whole thing. I saw a lot of Ti and Ne in there. Not very much Ni or Te, which would be INTJ. Everything points to P.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Any more answers or thoughts or anymore detailed answers ie this specific thing you mention correlates with this characteristic of a intp or a intj

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've noticed that majority of people who post am I an INTP or INTJ? threads are INTPs. INTJs tend to be more sure of their types and less likely to doubt it. INTPs being Ps keep considering more and more data regarding their type instead of making a decision regarding their type and sticking to it.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I've noticed that majority of people who post am I an INTP or INTJ? threads are INTPs. INTJs tend to be more sure of their types and less likely to doubt it. INTPs being Ps keep considering more and more data regarding their type instead of making a decision regarding their type and sticking to it.
Thank you :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't even read it yet. I got about two lines in, then thought, "screw this, I'll read the rest of the thread first and maybe someone will quote it in smaller chunks."

Good point.

.... as far as J and P goes, they are not functions but orientations of how functions are used. Even going by textbook theory, every person having a primary and secondary working together means that you will have a judging function and a perceiving function "running the show" together so to speak. So of course people are going to be open in some ways and closure-oriented in others, regardless of type; typically, though, someone will prefer either/or open/closed more often and this orients how the functions are used.

Still, other things can impact need for closure/openness, including situation and context, as well as upbringing and past life experiences. Survival and fear impacts how open or closed we might want to be.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I didn't even read it yet. I got about two lines in, then thought, "screw this, I'll read the rest of the thread first and maybe someone will quote it in smaller chunks."

Good point.

.... as far as J and P goes, they are not functions but orientations of how functions are used. Even going by textbook theory, every person having a primary and secondary working together means that you will have a judging function and a perceiving function "running the show" together so to speak. So of course people are going to be open in some ways and closure-oriented in others, regardless of type; typically, though, someone will prefer either/or open/closed more often and this orients how the functions are used.

Still, other things can impact need for closure/openness, including situation and context, as well as upbringing and past life experiences. Survival and fear impacts how open or closed we might want to be.
Thank you I just recently started looking into personality stuff and that clears up abit for me :D

Cartesian Theater

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w1
*skims through post*

INTPs have a judging function, which is internal (Ti). It is their primary function, and it makes them judge things based on their internal perspective of truth (this is true because it makes sense to me). INTJs have an external judging function (Te). It makes them judge things based on their external perspective of truth (this is true because it is the widely accepted theory/fact).

We only use the letter "J" at the end to represent a type which has an external judging function (because you'd probably think of someone who goes around judging other people as more judgmental than someone who judges themselves). All types have the ability to judge things. But an INTP would be more concerned with judging their own actions/ideas, while an INTJ would be more concerned with judging the things/people in their environment.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*skims through post*

INTPs have a judging function, which is internal (Ti). It is their primary function, and it makes them judge things based on their internal perspective of truth (this is true because it makes sense to me). INTJs have an external judging function (Te). It makes them judge things based on their external perspective of truth (this is true because it is the widely accepted theory/fact).

We only use the letter "J" at the end to represent a type which has an external judging function (because you'd probably think of someone who goes around judging other people as more judgmental than someone who judges themselves). All types have the ability to judge things. But an INTP would be more concerned with judging their own actions/ideas, while an INTJ would be more concerned with judging the things/people in their environment.

This makes a lot of sense and is well explained.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Thank you I just recently started looking into personality stuff and that clears up abit for me :D

INTP. An INTJ wouldn't think the inability to write a readable post, with paragraphs, is comical.