• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Out of body experiences

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you ever feel somewhat detached from your body? Sometimes I feel like I'm watching things happen to me or when I have memories it's from a perspective out side myself. Sometimes during sexual experiences or times when I should be emotional I feel a sudden disconnect, like what I'm doing is just an act put on for other people and I ( my mind/self) isn't actually involved. It makes me uncfortable because I feel inscincere and I don't ever intend to be. Any NTs or other types have a similar experience?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Under the influence, once, i had an obe-like experience. Otherwise Ne is pretty obe-like, bumping into things and stuff

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I... used to. I learned that for myself, identifying with my body helped me to develop self-catering tasks (grooming, appearance, excercise, etc) which seems to be a component of developing healthy self-esteem. Feeling connected to your "I" is so emotionally freeing. It's like you develop a sixth sense.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you ever feel somewhat detached from your body? Sometimes I feel like I'm watching things happen to me or when I have memories it's from a perspective out side myself. Sometimes during sexual experiences or times when I should be emotional I feel a sudden disconnect, like what I'm doing is just an act put on for other people and I ( my mind/self) isn't actually involved. It makes me uncfortable because I feel inscincere and I don't ever intend to be. Any NTs or other types have a similar experience?

Yep. Except ironically, actual out of body experiences scare me. I'm scared of completely identifying with my body and scared of leaving it...

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I know exactly what you mean however I wouldn't refer to it as a obe its more like a defense mechanism or something along those lines (atleast my experience with what your talking about)

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, to all your examples. It's pretty common for me, as far back as I can remember.
Whether I find it disturbing depends on the situation. Like with any sort of physical intimacy... then I am, WTF!? And mentally slap my mind back into my body. It just seems totally wrong in those instances. I won't fake anything, that would feel sickening...
Mostly though, it's interesting. Like I'm observing this creature who is supposed to be me. And I like the dispassion it brings. A curious dispassion, like dissecting an insect. Third person. I do have memories in third person. I very often dream in third person.

When i was a kid I used to like to sit in places that weren't places, as I thought of them. Up in a tree, in the gap between the shed and the fence, behind the couch, shimmied to the top of the hallway wall. I could still see the world, see people doing things, but I wasn't part of it anymore.
Perhaps related, perhaps not, but the feeling was similarly disassociated.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can kind of relate but in a hypothetical sense, I have a sense of detachment and it takes time to think about my feelings about things because my mind may be focussed on other things. Or I may just be completely indifferent on certain things. Sometimes, I lose track of time, am barely aware of the outside world when I get lost in thoughts. It's not a literal out-of-body experience but I do relate to what is being said, being there but simultaneously, not but more in a metaphorical sense than a literal sense.

There is one case I had that was out-of-body-experienceish. It was a dream where I was moving around in my house, and I couldn't touch anything and it was like I was there but not attached to my body. I tried opening a door and it wouldn't open and there were all sort of average things I couldn't do. don't rule out the possibility it was just a vivid dream and I prefer to think that over the alternative which comes to mind.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
It's called disassociation
as a child I suffered from mild disassociation. I actually spent from 15-18 disassociated and when I got diagnosed in college I wept. What a relief no one understood the symptoms here on a small island.
I would explain it to my parents I was looking at my hands and fingers but they didn't feel like my own I always felt like I was in the movie observing other people. Therapy so beneficial for me.
Coincidentally I was on a run other day and I was thinking about superpowers and I thought In a way disassociation is a way to remove yourself from a place that you deem difficult or in comfortable and be someone else or be absent from what's happening to you in the physical form
This concept scared me for so long, But now I wonder if having the ability to do it it will would be beneficial in certain circumstances .. would conscious integration make this powerful ability and not necessarily a negative defense mechanism. Kind of like the hulk going into hulk mode. He forgets himself and what he's done as the hulk but what if he could integrate and control the super human form of himself.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get it quite frequently. Or sometimes it feels like my mind is floating in the void and my body is remote controlled.

I have been like this for a while, and when I think back to childhood. I think I was very sensitive to the environment, and spent a lot of time just soaking up my surroundings, and listening to the adults. I kinda felt I was "forced" to function like a person as I got older though. I rationalized things far above my age level, and that emotionally damaged me through a very early onset of nihilism. So disassociating is the only way I can cope when my emotions get too strong to deal with. Or just to get things done, while setting aside my own sense of reality.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've felt that sometimes. It's not like a response to trauma for me, but sort of like I'm both a player in whatever is going on and an observer. When I was younger, it made it difficult to sometimes feel like I could just do my thing in an uninhibited way. One friend one-time commented that the way I experience or describe things that have happened seems almost like I'm describing a scene from a play, rather than my own self. I sort of suspect that's common for infjs, though I really couldn't say for sure.

Other times, it's a bit like how when you say a word over and over again that it starts sounding novel. It's like I'd look at me moving a part of my body and think, "How strange. I'm myself, living inside this body and I can make it go places or do things, and even though it's separate, if I didn't have it, I couldn't exist anymore.". I only feel that now and then, but it's a strange thought. By nature, I think I identify more with my mind and sometimes forget to pay attention to my body or notice how the two interact with and influence one another. Paying more attention to that, and also becoming more confident with age has probably lessened the first sensation I described.