• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Any INTP's not good at math?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm pretty positive I'm and INTP but I've never been good with math or sciences that are very math heavy (Physics, chemistry). I've always been more attracted to history, philosophy, social sciences, biology, environmental science and especially art. Not fractal art either.

So I was wondering if INTPs necessarily like math?

Cartesian Theater

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w1
ENTP here, terrible at arithmetic. I'm actually pretty good at higher level math, but I really don't like it that much. I'm more interested in creative areas like writing and art, and I like practical problem solving.

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My friend who's an INTP discovered she wasn't good at math, in college.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can do maths/math but... I know people who are better.
I can do it, they just get there faster, and, know what they're talking about.

KDude

FWIW, Lenore Thomson associated math (and similar things, like reading music) with Te. I suppose because they represent more impersonal standards of order and predictability. Everyone uses a little of it, and a Ti type could demonstrate it, but some may downplay it to the point of not being great at it (at least that's my guess).

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. Te seems to be better at computation and problem-solving. But Ti is more conceptual and logical, but seems less able to look at a problem and translate all its associated parts into abstract notations, then solve it.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like listening to people explain the concepts behind math/science but I struggle to actually do it. Working long problems, performing experiments. I 'm concerned enough with details and I don't really enjoy repetition. That seems pretty INTP but most of the things I read about INTPs always stress that we're scientists and mathematicians.

KDude

I like listening to people explain the concepts behind math/science but I struggle to actually do it. Working long problems, performing experiments. I 'm concerned enough with details and I don't really enjoy repetition. That seems pretty INTP but most of the things I read about INTPs always stress that we're scientists and mathematicians.

I wouldn't rule out scientist. This is where perception and experimentation comes more into play. If not strictly science, they still might take a scientific approach. I think a lot of pickup artist stuff is kind of NTP. It's not astrophysics, but they approach it like a science.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I guess I'm good at math; it used to be my strongest subject throught elementary and middle school, but I never had an interest in it beyond basic algebra, so I never applied myself.

That being said, my math skills have deteriorated quite a bit and I'm no longer as good as I used to be, nor do I care very much about it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find math is boring, although Ive never been bad at it, I was also never top of the class. I prefered chemistry and physics over math.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to have anxiety in these areas and so couldn't think very well because of that; but when I could do math well I enjoyed it. The same thing happened with chemistry in college; I liked learning about it but was insecure and stressed about my ability to do it and so couldn't really think clearly. When I studied it over the summer in preparation to retake it in the fall though, and the pressure was off, I really enjoyed it and did pretty well in the class. And I find that I can do math if I take a "top down" approach, learning the theory and application first and then the details. So in high school I would either excel at math or have trouble with it depending on whether I could see it (geometry and trig) or whether it was just algebra, and I found college calculus to be really easy. If I know how to do it I love it and it's beautiful. I like applying concepts I've learned about chemistry to all areas of life and use them in philosophy.

That said my major is philosophy with a Japanese minor, and I love art and music.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find math is boring, although Ive never been bad at it, I was also never top of the class. I prefered chemistry and physics over math.

But physics has tons of math!

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
There's interest and then there's ability. They don't always meet, though they're conflated often.

When I studied it over the summer in preparation to retake it in the fall though, and the pressure was off, I really enjoyed it and did pretty well in the class.
I always did much better at it when I taught myself than when I sat in a classroom. I often skipped class to learn on my own and loved it.
So in high school I would either excel at math or have trouble with it depending on whether I could see it (geometry and trig) or whether it was just algebra

Funny, that worked in reverse for me.

I wasn't that into math, though. In college, symbolic logic was much more appealing.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's interest and then there's ability. They don't always meet, though they're conflated often.

I always did much better at it when I taught myself than when I sat in a class room. I often skipped class to learn on my own and loved it.

Funny, that worked in reverse for me.

I wasn't that into math, though. In college, symbolic logic was much more appealing.

You mean you found the things you couldn't visualize to be easier?

I love symbolic logic! I took 2 classes of it and got A's.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Weird, innit?
I had no love for geometry and trig, which seemed like chores.

Interesting. How does one figure things out without visualizing them, I wonder? I think about absolutely everything visually.

I wonder what CF's these processes are.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The ability to do mathematics has nothing to do with Jung's cognitive functions.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Interesting. How does one figure things out without visualizing them, I wonder? I think about absolutely everything visually.
Perhaps it's not so much visual, but spatial conceptualizing that was the issue. If the math was just numbers, or using formulae ... i.e. more to do with pure logic, fine. If it involves measurement or visualizing space, distance, length, mass, applying to real physical spaces --> annoyed.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The ability to do mathematics has nothing to do with Jung's cognitive functions.

I think all types have the ability to do mathematics and it's silly to think otherwise but when it comes to interest in mathematics, I would think there would be some correlation.