• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Any INTP's not good at math?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm am and have always been terrible with math. Then again, perhaps I'm not an INTP.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think all types have the ability to do mathematics and it's silly to think otherwise but when it comes to interest in mathematics, I would think there would be some correlation.

I still doubt that even interest would, or could be, possibly correlated with cognitive function. Maybe the Nx and Tx users might favor it more, but I see no reason why a majority of say IxFP's or ExFJ's wouldn't possible be interested in such subjects. Perhaps a poll that posed the question could shed some evidence on the matter.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suck at math but tested into calculus on a multiple choice test.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I still doubt that even interest would, or could be, possibly correlated with cognitive function. Maybe the Nx and Tx users might favor it more, but I see no reason why a majority of say IxFP's or ExFJ's wouldn't possible be interested in such subjects. Perhaps a poll that posed the question could shed some evidence on the matter.

In that vein, I know a few SJs who really like the subject because they find its certainty almost therapeutic. And who also happen to be a lot better at it than me. Not that I don't know any NTs who really like it and are better at it than me.

They were all pretty humble. Except for one INTP. But everyone had a love/hate relationship with that guy.

I think it's pretty cool, and I feel like a math wizard when I can do it well while actively using my critical thinking skills (as opposed to just memorizing the formulas and letting the magic work itself), buuuutt... yeah, not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I like listening to people explain the concepts behind math/science but I struggle to actually do it. Working long problems, performing experiments. I 'm concerned enough with details and I don't really enjoy repetition. That seems pretty INTP but most of the things I read about INTPs always stress that we're scientists and mathematicians.

it is interesting to note this. Science are broad subjects. It can be natural science: biology, chemistry, physiscs, social science: geography, history, economics. Math also a broad subjects, it can be a set theory, algebra, arithmetics, geometry, statistics, etcs. Judging ourselves to be bad or good at some may not have sufficient supporting data, since we may not be able to include all topics;nor finding any "experts" who are recognizably authoritative in conducting testing for each. Not to mention that the tester must also be able to correctly identify their tested subject as INTP; not mistype them.
But I do think that INTP if gets balanced, should have some aptitude in biology, since as sensing introverted-extroverted feeler gets "awake" from its unsconsciousness, they should be able to memorize the latin name of species, nomenclature, etc

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't say I am bad at math, but I have not been taught math properly. In school I didn't do homework, so I failed math. They thought I was dumb, and put me in remedial no homework math. It was way too easy, and my teacher just let me fuck around. I was interested *in math* but the lack of attention to my questions and helping me understanding certain parts lead to disinterest. I liked doing algebra and using formulas, as it was pretty similar to just remembering steps, but when I tried learning geometry etc, my teachers dismissal about what the fuck a sin, cosign, tangent was etc really pissed me off. I need spacial/visual understanding of the formula to understand some things. I don't like it when they don't explain why we use a formula in geometry, and what each component means.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it is interesting to note this. Science are broad subjects. It can be natural science: biology, chemistry, physiscs, social science: geography, history, economics. Math also a broad subjects, it can be a set theory, algebra, arithmetics, geometry, statistics, etcs. Judging ourselves to be bad or good at some may not have sufficient supporting data, since we may not be able to include all topics;nor finding any "experts" who are recognizably authoritative in conducting testing for each. Not to mention that the tester must also be able to correctly identify their tested subject as INTP; not mistype them.
But I do think that INTP if gets balanced, should have some aptitude in biology, since as sensing introverted-extroverted feeler gets "awake" from its unsconsciousness, they should be able to memorize the latin name of species, nomenclature, etc

From an INTP in natural sciences (chemistry): I'm the worst at memorizing. Unless I find any patterns or why that name is used, I mostly try to logically deduce at the moment anything that should be memorized.
Speaking from experience, since I don't have any data at hand:
INTPs in biology aren't that many. Also, biology is the "softest" of the STEM subjects. It still is a system to understand, but a system that needs to be approached more with memory than pure reasoning. In chemistry, there ironically are more TJs, SFJs and ENTPs, INTPs are very few. In biology, in my experience, SPs are overrepresented, followed by FJs and FPs. In physics, NTPs, TJs and SFJs, very few SPs compared to biology.
Ironically, I've found out that there are a lot of INTPs in humanistic subjects, mostly in languages that are usually thought to be "weird" or hard: those are new systems to understand.
INTPs like systems and understanding them, may it be a science or not. At this level, it all comes to individual differences in what you perceive as such. For example, OP mentioned history. I was the worst at it because to me it meant memorizing dates and such, but, like everything, it can be approached from a more logical standpoint, so trying to understand the underlying causes that link the events.

---

I used to have a fluctuating relationship with maths. At first in high school I was decent, not good. I liked it, but I didn't get the results I wanted compared to other subjects. Then calculus came in and things changed, I discovered I was really good at it.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends. I don't really think being a good mathematician is about type but data suggest that most are good Ti/Te users. While Te users make great engineers for they are more practical-savvy compared to Ti users, Ti users make great experts at probability and pure mathematics, especially probability is a very, very Ti oriented subject. So I'd say no. INTP's may not be adept at geometry or applied math, but they usually are quite good at subjects such as logic and discrete mathematics.