• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Who are more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs?

Who is more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs?

• Total voters

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

Are you just trolling in that particularly ENFP way, or do you have reasoning you can provide to substantiate your claims?

Well, kind of. To be honest I find it a pointless question, and I think it's relatively clear what you want us to say, so it's satisfying to make a case for the opposite. And given that I live with an INTP, I can tell you he really is way too distractable and quirky to ever be likened to a robot. The thing about Ti is maybe it adheres to logic, but it's also very personal and individual. If you left 3 INTPs one at a time in a room with a bunch of thermostats that were all set to totally different things, I'm sure 15 minutes later you'd come back to all thermostats set the same, but what they're set on is going to be totally different. Ti ensures consistency but only in certain ways. And 1 INTP might end up fiddling with his pocket protector at minute 2 and never end up getting them all set.

I also don't really think Ni is exempt from consistency much more than any other process. Yes, it depends heavily on individual experience, but if we fully understood its mechanisms of action, we could probably program it into a computer, too. I think the things that make humans chaotic individuals are generally removed from the set patterns of our common thinking processes.

I kind of want to ask you the same thing though. Are you just trolling in that particularly INTJ way, or do you have a constructive reason for asking this question?

R

Riva

Guess what, Riva.

I'm a lot more intelligent than you.

I have no intention of being more intelligent than you. So you could have this one. But then again putting it out there like that indicates how really intelligent you are.

:laugh:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Riva, you clearly have no fucking clue what I'm even talking about.

Your interpretation of my post has absolutely nothing to do with why I said what I said.

Go elsewhere to troll. You're not worth my time.

For a 28 old INTJ guy you sure know how to take things personally. And not only that, you also know how to act like a little child and call people names and call people fools and idiots when they disagree with you.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not trying to be scary, sweetheart, I just know that you understand us well, and I'm wondering whether you were being serious or joking, and, if you were being serious, what makes you think what you think.

Flattery will get you everywhere :D

I voted on instinct, so I didn't look at the definitions or anything. Having had some time to reflect on my gut reaction, I'll add some nuance and say:

INTJs are more traditionally robotic, in that they're more likely to do the execute-type stuff that robots are often designed for and gather the empirical data (think the mars robot)

INTPs are more like...computer type robots, I feel. They're more likely to analyze data and create a logical system out of that. Think big boss brain robot in the Matrix.

Make sense?

...not sure that this explanation is anywhere near what you wanted, expected or hoped for, but there it is. I'm fairly sure other T's will be more up to your standards in this debate ;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
What makes a person robotic is based on what filters they put their descisions through. Intp's being Ti dom filter everything through thought and rationalization. All the descisions of an INTP can basicly be prompted into and outputted from a computer. Don't take it too literal, INTP's aren't only Ti, but for the sake of arguement.

INTJ's being Ni doms filter their descision making through introverted intuition. This is not something one could teach a computer to do (as it is based on value assignment that a computer could not calculate), and is therefor not robotic.

Exactly.

The INTP mind literally works like a computer.

It's like "need definition explicitly stated, because without explicit definition computer does not know what anything means..."

Ofcourse there can be INTJ's who have a stronger aux then dom, in which case the rule would not apply, but seeing as the typical INTJ will have Ni as their true dom, in general the statement stands.

Yeah, but I just don't think Te is anywhere near as robotic as Ti.

Te doms might be ruthless and efficient, and their could be some "robotic" quality you associate with that, but compared to a Ti dom, their minds simply do not function in the same way that a robots would.

Slave-driver? Yes.

Robot? No.

I don't believe the same rules applies to ISTP's and ISTJ's. Since Si is a whole different ballgame than Ni, the ISTJ's ability for repetition due to their Si dom(Which is something a computer can hypothetically simulate), complimented by their Te, would make them the most robotic-like type there is.

Interesting point about Si...

Si, I suppose, could be pretty robotic as well.

Especially, as you said, when backed up by Te...

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I voted based on my experiences with my husband and one of my best friends who is an INTP. To me, my husband is more robotic because he is so set in his routines... It's like he has a mental checklist he must cross off everything on it before he can relax and unwind. Whereas, my INTP friend is far more relaxed on how he approaches things that need to be taken care of. Plus, from a romantic standpoint, my husband can be very robotic about intimacy. He gets very stuck in the "must hug and kiss on wife" to show her love... When in reality if he'd just say I love you I'd be totally content.

Bah, I'm having issues conveying the thoughts in my head again, so my explanation sucks. :cry:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
For a 28 old INTJ guy you sure know how to take things personally.

Riva, as I have told you before, long before I ever spoke a word to you, or you spoke a word to me, I found you obnoxious.

And, based on everything I've seen since then, I do not expect anything to change.

I have no intention of being more intelligent than you. So you could have this one. But then again putting it out there like that indicates how really intelligent you are.

And not only that, you also know how to act like a little child and call people names and call people fools and idiots when they disagree with you.

There is nothing immature, wrong or unintelligent about calling a spade a spade.

Some people are more intelligent, some people are less; some opinions are idiotic and foolish, some are not.

I don't give a shit about your bullshit Fe rules that you think everybody must abide by.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Are you just trolling in that particularly INTJ way, or do you have a constructive reason for asking this question?

There was really little-to-no trolling intention with this thread.

I simply wanted to see where peoples' opinions lay, and to generate intelligent, thoughtful discussion of the matter.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the title of this thread should be "Who are more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs? INTP is the correct answer, but disagree with me so I can argue with you and question your intelligence!"

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There was really little-to-no trolling intention with this thread.

I simply wanted to see where peoples' opinions lay, and to generate intelligent, thoughtful discussion of the matter.

Interesting. It came off trolly to me, honestly. Apologies. What is the point, though? Like... my NFPness doesn't really understand. Maybe it's a T debate / truth thing. Like it's interesting to debate just because it's another corner of the universe to define?

R

Riva

Riva, as I have told you before, long before I ever spoke a word to you, or you spoke a word to me, I found you obnoxious.

And, based on everything I've seen since then, I do not expect anything to change.

So before you spoke a word to me and I to you, you already made up your mind?

Goes to show who I am dealing with.

There is nothing immature, wrong or foolish about calling a spade a spade.

I don't give a shit about your bullshit Fe rules that you think everyone must abide by.

The person you called a fool initially (gmanyo) went by his definition of what robotic was since you had no definition of your own in the OP. And you called him idiotic. A spade is a spade yes. But idiotic is subjective and in this instance it wasn't idiotic at all because you failed at the OP to give a description. besides you yourself said -

I prefer to leave these things a bit open-ended

So he went by his description of it. And then he is an idiot???? Lolz...

It's not my Fe trying to impose rules on you. I'm just pointing out to you that you missed to make a point.

the title of this thread should be "Who are more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs? INTP is the correct answer, but disagree with me so I can argue with you and question your intelligence!"

LOLZ

Chana surely understands you. We idiots obviously don't understand you.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP is the most robotic type. You fail at life Zarathustra!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bruce Lee, the ISTP poster boy, calls himself a robot in this interview:

Q: I think you'd probably agree, Bruce, the thing that limited the appeal of Chinese films to Western audiences is that, it's very unusual to find a Chinese actor who can act. And when I say that, I mean acting Western style, in that manner that would make non-Chinese pay money to see them. Ahhh, you seem to have crossed that barrier. How do you think you achieved it? Do you think it has to do with your time in the United States? You studied there, didn't you?

Bruce: Oh, yes. It definitely has, you know. Because when I first arrived, you know, I did the Green Hornet, you know, television series, back in '65. And if I look around, Man, I mean, I saw a lot of human beings. As, (laughs), I look at myself, I was the only robot there, because I was not being myself, and I'm trying to accumulate external security, external technique, or the way to move an arm, but never to ask and say what Bruce Lee would have done, if there were, such a thing happened to me. When I look around, I always learn something: to be always yourself, and to express yourself, to have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate them. Now that seems to me that, that is the prevalent thing happening in Hong Kong. Like, they always copy mannerisms, but they never start a the root of being, and that is: how, you see, can I be me? (laughs) I mean, I never believed the word 'star'. That's an illusion, man. I mean, that's something the public calls you. You see. And when you become successful, when you become famous, it's very very easy to be blinded by all these happenings. Everybody comes up, and you are Mr. Lee. When you have long hair, they would say: 'Like, Hey, man, that's cool, Man, Baby, that's the in-thing'. But, if you have no name they would say: 'Boy, look at that disgusting juvenile delinquent!' I mean, too many people are yes-yes-yes to you all the time, you see. So, unless you really, at that time, have gone to a higher loft, and understand what life is about, and that right now, Man, some game is happening, and realizing such that is a game, finally then, it's all right. But most people tend to be blinded by it because, I mean, if things are repeated too many times, you believe in it and it becomes a habit.

2148998222_7df9f66ab3_z.jpg

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Another person who clearly doesn't get it.

Interesting. It came off trolly to me, honestly. Apologies. What is the point, though? Like... my NFPness doesn't really understand. Maybe it's a T debate / truth thing. Like it's interesting to debate just because it's another corner of the universe to define?

No, not trolly at all, really.

It's pretty much like you said: another area to explore/define.

I mean, I've seen this issue discussed, indirectly, plenty of times before, and I've had plenty of discussions whereby people have agreed with me that the caricature of INTJs as "robotic" is extremely far from the truth, so, after making a joke to an INTP in another thread this morning about her response being extremely robotic, I figured, "You know, I've never seen a thread or poll about which type people believe to be more robotic, and, yes, I believe the answer is undoubtedly INTP (although, certain versions of INTJs can tend to be rather robotic [I think it depends a lot, actually, on their enneagram type and instinctual variants [enneagram 5s and sp-dom's tend to be the more robotic ones {but the strongest positive correlation between the enneagram and the MBTI is that between Ti-dom's being enneagram 5s, so...}])", so I decided to make a thread and poll about it.

So before you spoke a word to me and I to you, you already made up your mind?

I don't make up my mind like that.

I come to a tentative conclusion, and let future evidence pointing in a different direction change my mind accordingly.

I assure you, my talking with you has not provided me with the kind of evidence to change that opinion even one iota.

Goes to show who I am dealing with.

That you would think this idiotic statement is worth writing shows precisely the kind of person I'm dealing with.

The person you called a fool initially...

I didn't call anybody foolish.

I called a person's reasoning idiotic.

went by his definition of what robotic was

And, as I have said, it was a poor one.

I did not say as much about many other opinions in this thread.

And you called him idiotic.

Once again, no, I did not.

Go back and read the thread.

A spade is a spade yes.

^ This.

Does not square well with this:

But idiotic is subjective...

No, it is not (necessarily).

It can be, but, when it's correct, it's correct, and is thus objective.

As I said before, go check your Ti at the door, there is such a thing as objective truth.

...and in this instance it wasn't idiotic at all because you failed at the OP to give a description.

Whether or not I gave a description in the OP does not make an opinion any less or more idiotic.

An opinion is intelligent if it gets to the core of the issue; an opinion is idiotic if it most certainly does not.

His opinion most certainly did not get to the core of what it means to be robotic, and, as such, was idiotic.

It's not my Fe trying to impose rules on you.

So you think.

I'm sorry that your opinion doesn't hold much water with me.

I've simply never found you to be a particularly insightful poster.

I'm just pointing out to you that you missed to make a point.

I'm pretty sure this is nonsensical language, but, regardless, the sentiment you were trying to express is indeed wrong.

Voted for INTP. Dominant Ni doesn't seem robotic to me at all, whereas dominant Ti is more like a fixed program through which everything is run.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Voted for INTP. Dominant Ni doesn't seem robotic to me at all, whereas dominant Ti is more like a fixed program through which everything is run.

Add Ti dominance to the ultimate computarized information processing capablilities of ISTP Se and you get the ultimate robot, even more robotic than INTP!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually a spade is a collection of molecules (which are made up of atoms, which are made of electrons around a nucleus, which is essentially energy + space) which is arranged in a certain way and given a label by a being using language. In Spanish it's pala, and in Japanese it's スペード.

[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]:
I have to agree with Riva, your lack of clarity does not imply a flaw in the reader's reasoning.

Perhaps you should take the advice on this INTJ page into consideration:
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html
Particularly this:
"...It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

Just sayin.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Add Ti dominance to the ultimate computarized information processing capablilities of ISTP Se and you get the ultimate robot, even more robotic than INTP!

Yes, but the poll was not which type is the most robotic. ;)

Also, whereas there is a clear cognative distinction between difference in robotic like behaviour between INTP's and INTJ's. I can't say the same is true for ISTP's and ISTJ's. Since Si's ability to process the past is in essence more robotlike than Se, which would just be the sensors or camera on a robot, which still require value and recognition that is not natural for robots. Si's ability to process the past, complimented by Te, would then be a different kind of Robot than the ISTP's Ti-Se, but it is arguably which of the two is the most robotic-like of the two.

So, I think the line between robotism between ISTP and ISTJ is much more vague than it is between INTP and INTJ, cognative function wise.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Flattery will get you everywhere :D

:harhar:

I voted on instinct, so I didn't look at the definitions or anything. Having had some time to reflect on my gut reaction, I'll add some nuance and say:

INTJs are more traditionally robotic, in that they're more likely to do the execute-type stuff that robots are often designed for and gather the empirical data (think the mars robot)

INTPs are more like...computer type robots, I feel. They're more likely to analyze data and create a logical system out of that. Think big boss brain robot in the Matrix.

Make sense?

I think this is actually a very interesting distinction...

I think what you're pointing to is that INTJs are more robotic in their external actions, while INTPs are more robotic in their internal processing.

And it's probably related to what Fluffywolf said about INTJ appearing more robotic while INTPs actually are more robotic.

And, furthermore, it would seem to point to INTJs being more "robotic" in an extroverted sense, and INTPs in an introverted sense.

...not sure that this explanation is anywhere near what you wanted, expected or hoped for, but there it is. I'm fairly sure other T's will be more up to your standards in this debate ;)

It will suffice.

:wink:

I voted based on my experiences with my husband and one of my best friends who is an INTP. To me, my husband is more robotic because he is so set in his routines... It's like he has a mental checklist he must cross off everything on it before he can relax and unwind. Whereas, my INTP friend is far more relaxed on how he approaches things that need to be taken care of. Plus, from a romantic standpoint, my husband can be very robotic about intimacy. He gets very stuck in the "must hug and kiss on wife" to show her love... When in reality if he'd just say I love you I'd be totally content.

I see your husband is an enneagram 1 sp?

The thing's you've described actually sound more related to that.

The enneagram strikes again...

Bah, I'm having issues conveying the thoughts in my head again, so my explanation sucks. :cry:

No, no worries, it was fine.

:)

agree with Zarathusta :hi:

If all INTPs were like fluffywolf, we wouldnt have threads were women complian about their INTPs heartlessness:smile:

my vote is INTJs

:huh:

Agree with me? Vote INTJ? Am I missing something?

This thread = aburrimiento.

I'm not sure if that equal sign stands for "is caused by" or "is a source of", but, if [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] didn't feel the need to go flashing his Fe rulebook all over the place, a worthwhile discussion might actually take place.

Exactly.