• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Am I an INTP?

anarion

MBTI Type
????
I test consistently (over the span of 5 years, various moods) as INTP, but there are aspects of me that I am not sure are quite INTP-like and thought would ask some of the type theory folks to. Either am not an INTP or I do not understand what exactly constitutes an INTP. Eitherway, any feedback would be dearly appreciated, thanks.

Following is the results of the test I took today: it came out as an INTP and I do largely *relate* to the description of INTP. But I constantly second guess and fear that, as a human, am underestimating my ability to be biased..

---

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28.6)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (11.1)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40.6)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

---

Following aspects are the points of confusion.

1) I really like talking to (some) people about my world views and understand their world views: the views are either philosophical and/or scientific with religion thrown in somewhere. But generally free-flowing any subject is up for taking. I also usually prefer being one on one to groups. My personal views are distinctly existential. So far so good. But I so thoroughly relish the point of views others and I sometimes _actively_ seek out to discuss such things. Some of my best days are spent arguing from day beginning to end on various things. Among the people I am 'comfortable' with (this is difficult to define unambiguously -- I only instinctively feel that they are 'open' to me and/or willing to humour me. That is enough to make me comfortable), am remarkably gregarious and even outgoing. So much so that, none of these people think am an introvert. I can do various silly stuff: DON'T regret them -- most of them anyway. I also enjoy playing sports and sweating it out: NOT competitively, but physical exertion, learning new stuff and generally needling/laughing is great way to spend your day. Me and my friends don't keep/follow score/rules anyway.. So am an ENTP? :( I am also quite friendly with large number of people: but I do escape/disappear humans for extended periods, and do come back without missing a beat.

2) I am also very happy to analyse/rationalise my feelings/choices with someone I am comfortable with and trust. This, strangely, helped me so much better -- at times. In times like that I almost feels as if I am crybaby that just need a pair of shoulder to cry. Nothing against feeling per se of course: you do what you do. But, it just makes *me* feel incredibly shitty/vulnerable. Or is that am actually Feeling type with a pronounced Thinking? :( I also sometime just do craziness spontaneously and I seldom act my age.. :facedesk

3) Am I a Sensor now?! The test says my best 'fit' is Improviser...

----
The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Improviser; secondly Theorist; then Catalyst; and lastly, Stabilizer.
To read more about the four temperaments click here.
---

Ok, enough soul baring on Internet. The vague notion of Internet anonymity is *such* a blessing!

In the end, I 'feel' related to the description of an INTP, but is it what I *am*? I think humans can argue/make believe ourselves into *anything* really. It would be *real* nice if I manage to avoid that.

So, please let me know what you think.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, purely on your cognative strengths percentages I'd say you are more likely ISTP.

Dominant: Introverted thinking (Ti)
Auxiliary: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Tertiary: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Inferior: Extraverted feeling (Fe)

Have you considered the ISTP type for yourself?

There are a few people that recognize with the TiNi a lot and how it doesn't really seem to fit into the MBTI scheme. Maybe they should bow their heads over this. x)

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took two of the cognitive function tests yesterday, and I scored the same on both. I, too, came out confused because it seems I'm Ni Ti codominant. I wish I could help, but I'm not really experienced enough to give an answer. I'm glad you posted, though. I'll be watching this thread with great interest. :)

anarion

MBTI Type
????
Well, purely on your cognative strengths percentages I'd say you are more likely ISTP.

I do not quite understand the typology theory. Could you just set the Functions by numbers and add a bit of reasoning? That would be very helpful.

Dominant: Introverted thinking (Ti)
Auxiliary: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Tertiary: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Inferior: Extraverted feeling (Fe)

Have you considered the ISTP type for yourself?

I have not studied ISTPs much. This is an entirely new Pandora's box to me; am trying it now and these are my observations.

I am terrible at planning and am an *epic* procrastinator. Efficiency and doing things do *enamour* me and I respect people (and, ironically, laugh at the same because in the end nothing might matters at all -- except what *is* you) who wants things done, but I am _infinitely_ more home at spotting connections and see what these connections would yield. Once am *convinced* of the plausibilities, and their possibilities, I just tend wrap and shelve the idea somewhere. My college year is just a graveyard of interesting ideas that I frustrate the faculties. After I have developed a *defensible* understanding, I never ever attempt to make things 'work'/happen: it's not that it can't be done, but the sheer effort doesn't bring anything new; unless there is an adrenaline surge in the process and in some cases it's just the deadlines. When I am convinced that something exists in Neverland, it just exists: I don't plan and construct the object to convince myself of it. Only competence I develop is being able to argue about for _hours_: you get high finding things, you get high arguing about them, but na, not doing it. I dabble at the theory of things: just an arm chair philosopher. Doing interests me only if I can use to get one those highs. I just largely float about space and time. I can't even do my grocery shopping in a regular way: I make lists but only to forget them when I finally haul myself to the supermarket.. :(

My initial response is that may be my existentialism induced hedonism coming across as a 'present' kind of person. :)

There are a few people that recognize with the TiNi a lot and how it doesn't really seem to fit into the MBTI scheme. Maybe they should bow their heads over this. x)

Of course, the whole typology is only intuitive (but fascinating nevertheless) : there hasn't even been any universal set of axioms/models on human behaviour that would 'naturally' lead to such a classification. It is a shame (and, to an extent, fun) that we are not so easily classifiable: that is why I prefer mathematical objects to humans. I can box them quite beautifully -- oh, well, there at least are some beautiful things that I can box.. :)

Damn, I rant a LOT :facepalm

I took two of the cognitive function tests yesterday, and I scored the same on both. I, too, came out confused because it seems I'm Ni Ti codominant. I wish I could help, but I'm not really experienced enough to give an answer. I'm glad you posted, though. I'll be watching this thread with great interest[\QUOTE]

*blushes* You are welcome. Am glad am not alone. I distinctly dislike my messiness in classification: it is like am non differentiable almost everywhere. It just beats me. :facepalm

Last edited:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Why discount 5-years of data, simply because discontinuities intermittently pop up? Mulligans happen all the time. Doesn't mean the milk is sour.

It's clear you're INTP. You have years of evidence to prove it.

anarion

MBTI Type
????
Night;1877839\ said:
Why discount 5-years of data, simply because discontinuities intermittently pop up? Mulligans happen all the time. Doesn't mean the milk is sour.
[\QUOTE=Night;1877839]

Dear God/s, what would I *not* give for this certainty!! *sighs*

It's clear you're INTP. You have years of evidence to prove it.

Not exactly an evidence: I only have the results of a statistical test. It is not even independent because the tested entity is me and I the tester itself is me, if you see what I mean. Not riding on Feyman, but "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.". :)

But even then, the test/indicator is statistical you see. I do not know if the test is a 'necessary/safe' indicator. My necessary I mean if you are an INTP, you will _necessarily_ be tagged as an 'INTP'. Nor do I know if the test is 'sufficient/sound': in that no non-INTP will ever be tagged as an 'INTP'. I say this because you will have to read the description and 'relate' to the tag that the test assigns you. That implies that the test is *not* both safe/sound.

But thanks a ton Night! I do see your point and I think I would do *well* to take it.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Glad to help, anarion.

Trick is to avoid giving your data more power than your objectives. When anomalies happen, take them in stride (actually, it's good when your data has discernible variance). Don't let them muddle your perception. Goal is to find truth.

Certainty is just another word for 'trust'. To have more certainty, trust what you know and accept your mistakes.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not exactly an evidence: I only have the results of a statistical test. It is not even independent because the tested entity is me and I the tester itself is me, if you see what I mean. Not riding on Feyman, but "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.". :)

But even then, the test/indicator is statistical you see. I do not know if the test is a 'necessary/safe' indicator. My necessary I mean if you are an INTP, you will _necessarily_ be tagged as an 'INTP'. Nor do I know if the test is 'sufficient/sound': in that no non-INTP will ever be tagged as an 'INTP'. I say this because you will have to read the description and 'relate' to the tag that the test assigns you. That implies that the test is *not* both safe/sound.

This! I've taken multiple tests as well, but they were all self administered internet tests, and I'm not proficient enough in psychology to trust them. My one PSYCH 1101 class just didn't enlighten me the way I'd hoped. :-D I can relate to most of the INTP descriptions, but I can also relate to the INTJ ones. My cognitive function test was kind of ambiguous, but ultimately tagged me as an INTJ. I still believe I am an INTP, but I think it's also possible that I'm an INTJ. I very much understand your uncertainty. I'm not having an identity crisis or anything, but I do think that looking at this from a cognitive function point of view rather than the 16 types is kind of eye opening as well as rather confusing.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This! I've taken multiple tests as well, but they were all self administered internet tests, and I'm not proficient enough in psychology to trust them. My one PSYCH 1101 class just didn't enlighten me the way I'd hoped. :-D I can relate to most of the INTP descriptions, but I can also relate to the INTJ ones. My cognitive function test was kind of ambiguous, but ultimately tagged me as an INTJ. I still believe I am an INTP, but I think it's also possible that I'm an INTJ. I very much understand your uncertainty. I'm not having an identity crisis or anything, but I do think that looking at this from a cognitive function point of view rather than the 16 types is kind of eye opening as well as rather confusing.

It's pretty funny since INTP's and INFJ's are pretty much opposites in terms of cognative functions. It would help if you could enlighten us as to which parts from the various descriptions seem to fit you in particular.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's pretty funny since INTP's and INFJ's are pretty much opposites in terms of cognative functions. It would help if you could enlighten us as to which parts from the various descriptions seem to fit you in particular.

I actually started a similar thread this morning under "Type Me." http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ction-test-am-i-kicked-out-intp-club-now.html I don't want to hijack this one. :) And yes, I know they are very different. That's why I'm so confused! :)

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alright, I'll throw in my two cents as someone who's certain about her identity as INTP. Perhaps you'll find 'em to be of use...

One thing that really stands out to me from your results is that you prefer Fi to Fe. While Fe IS the INTP's inferior function, Fi is supposedly one of INTP's "shadow functions," meaning it belongs among the INTP's bottom four functions (among all the eight functions, at least according to MBTI). To rephrase that, the INTP's top four preferred function are Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, and the other four (Te, Ni, Se, and Fi) must be less pronounced, at least according to the ze theories. The catch is that:
1) from my understanding of Fe and Fi, they are mutually exclusive processes, and
2) if you really do prefer Fi over Fe, chances are you aren't INTP.

My guess is that you don't have an accurate understanding of Fi and/or Fe... which I can sympathize with, because I had the same problem a few years back. But after reading a number of LONG threads on Fe VS Fi, it became crystal clear to me that I prefer Fe over Fi. While I do have an understanding of how Fi operates, I often have trouble relating to the whole process. With Fe, however, relating is a lot easier.

Making the distinction between Fe and Fi may be difficult, especially when both processes lead to the same "conclusions." But the underlying assumptions and mental "workings" in action are very, very different. I'm too not confident in my ability to articulate the difference between the two, and strongly recommend you to read (many) threads on Fe VS Fi.

anarion

MBTI Type
????
Alright, I'll throw in my two cents as someone who's certain about her identity as INTP. Perhaps you'll find 'em to be of use...

One thing that really stands out to me from your results is that you prefer Fi to Fe. While Fe IS the INTP's inferior function, Fi is supposedly one of INTP's "shadow functions," meaning it belongs among the INTP's bottom four functions (among all the eight functions, at least according to MBTI). To rephrase that, the INTP's top four preferred function are Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, and the other four (Te, Ni, Se, and Fi) must be less pronounced, at least according to the ze theories. The catch is that:
1) from my understanding of Fe and Fi, they are mutually exclusive processes, and

Thanks for the input Copperfish, appreciated. Few inputs from my side. I am an introvert. That part at least is defensibly clear. Nor am a Judging type. So I am, in all probability, an IxxP. I idle around too much and am a terrible planner to be a Sensor: even making to a simple meeting makes me anxious until the meeting starts; strangely, once it starts I usually breeze through though. Also, even the little plans I make, I seldom execute them: simplest grocery shopping to laundry. But once I am interested in knowing something, I can undertake remarkable hardship. But this surge lasts until I understand the general scheme of things (or latch on to something even more fun). Once that is done, I would be very *happy* to share it to some people I know (and hear their views): it is both an emotional as well intellectual need. Acknowledgement and the resulting happiness is emotional. The feedback and a possibly better collective understanding is intellectual. I also have strong intuition and rely on it for a greater extend. So I am *likely* an INxP -- unless I managed to fool myself royally. Let me know if that is the reasonable stand to take.

My guess is that you don't have an accurate understanding of Fi and/or Fe... which I can sympathize with, because I had the same problem a few years back. But after reading a number of LONG threads on Fe VS Fi, it became crystal clear to me that I prefer Fe over Fi. While I do have an understanding of how Fi operates, I often have trouble relating to the whole process. With Fe, however, relating is a lot easier.

I can understand why someone might feel certain way, but I can't understand 'how' they feel the emotions per se. I can see that someone is in (emotional) pain, but even if I would be inwardly thinking what they feel is self-brought/avoidable, I can go through the usual consolation motions and finally give some solutions; that is if I cared + close enough and if I see you can see the reason. If am just expected to just console, I do not know I would fare better; not giving solutions would just frustrate me.

I can not even 'understand' how *I* am going to react in a hypothetical situation. I avoid such questions at all costs. But I can 'relate' to emotions -- these are case by case and sometime involve few things that I myself feel 'emotionally' attached to: freedom/dignity/equality/privacy. These attachments change over time. These emotions have the potential to drive me to (possibly illogical) actions and are scary.

Just a warning: do *not* go by my writing. I may have strong views about certain aspects, but I may or may not argue for it. What I feel is immaterial, what all matters is what 'understanding' I have *of* what I speak. Also, arguing for a view doesn't necessarily mean I feel that way. In fact, I am known for arguing just to establish the lack of sufficient evidence and/or subjectivity. It is a routine thing that at the end of arguments we largely wind up with nothing-further-can-be-said-about-the-subject. This alienates the fellow fielders on *my side* as well because they think that I think they argue for all incorrect 'reasons'. But all I am saying is that I considered their POV and it doesn't hold water they expect it to. I may not argue at if I understood things better or they are idiots -- even on issues that I feel highly emotional about. I have consistently been criticized of being overly rational -- across the spectrum.

But this emotional armour has numerous chinks. Sometimes I just can not control what I feel; sad. But I am good hiding my emotions, so it doesn't show up and all is fine. But my this rationalisation is _really_ helpful when you choose/forced to act OR explain away your inaction. But there are large number of cases where I act and *then* just make a quick, convincing argument; I hate these moments. May be this (over) rationalisation vulnerability filter is coming out as Fi? I definitely would NOT want to be seen as someone illogical: I in fact just be that except for the some of these strong emotions. But am currently fairly close to it: I don't show emotions and *can* dress up my feelings promptly with a suitably weaker set of 'values'. It is a good on-the-feet exercise! :)
[/QUOTE]

Making the distinction between Fe and Fi may be difficult, especially when both processes lead to the same "conclusions." But the underlying assumptions and mental "workings" in action are very, very different. I'm too not confident in my ability to articulate the difference between the two, and strongly recommend you to read (many) threads on Fe VS Fi.

Sadly they are all winding natural language statements and are very *very* ambiguous. I have tough time interpreting them in a unique, consistent way. I even had the trouble with the test itself: some of the questions are so vague and are mighty general. :( Ambiguity is just my first nature.

But thanks again for the comments and help me narrow down considerably. I *am* my current obsession, looks like and would be nice to develop some clarity.. :(

anarion

MBTI Type
????
Glad to help, anarion.

Trick is to avoid giving your data more power than your objectives. When anomalies happen, take them in stride (actually, it's good when your data has discernible variance). Don't let them muddle your perception. Goal is to find truth.

Certainty is just another word for 'trust'. To have more certainty, trust what you know and accept your mistakes.

:)

Those anomalies might just be the sign of something deeper and that deeper thing might just be the truth.

I *can* accept my mistakes, but trust what you 'know', well, that is bit tricky Night, at least for me! There is just SO much I don't know -- even about myself. :( When I said knowing myself, I meant it in a critical, *rigorous* way..

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Once that is done, I would be very *happy* to share it to some people I know (and hear their views): it is both an emotional as well intellectual need. Acknowledgement and the resulting happiness is emotional. The feedback and a possibly better collective understanding is intellectual. I also have strong intuition and rely on it for a greater extend. So I am *likely* an INxP -- unless I managed to fool myself royally. Let me know if that is the reasonable stand to take.

But this emotional armour has numerous chinks. Sometimes I just can not control what I feel; sad. But I am good hiding my emotions, so it doesn't show up and all is fine. But my this rationalisation is _really_ helpful when you choose/forced to act OR explain away your inaction. But there are large number of cases where I act and *then* just make a quick, convincing argument; I hate these moments. May be this (over) rationalisation vulnerability filter is coming out as Fi? I definitely would NOT want to be seen as someone illogical: I in fact just be that except for the some of these strong emotions. But am currently fairly close to it: I don't show emotions and *can* dress up my feelings promptly with a suitably weaker set of 'values'. It is a good on-the-feet exercise! :)

Sounds INTP to me. And quite a few INTPs score higher on Fi than Fe. It seems to be a trend and someone explained to me as the heavy influence that Ti has on Fe, to give it an Fi-like flavor. But it's not really Fi. Talk to an Fi-dom for a while, you'll notice the difference.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So maybe I'm mistyped then. I swear the more Fi vs Fe threads I read, the more confused I get. I really relate to the descriptions for dominant Ti and auxilary Ne yet I can never firmly place myself on the Fi vs Fe spectrum. If I'm an INTP, according to theory, I would be an Fe user yet I find myself relating to alot of the Fi descriptions. I have considered INFP but really don't think I'm that type since my Ti is too strong and prefer Ti to Te. Is it just poorly written Fi descriptions? Poor self-understanding? Both? I took one cognitive function test that actually put Fi on the top of my function order.

I wonder if it's more common for INTPs to have trouble with Fi vs Fe because Fe is the inferior function and since it's the inferior, it's more difficult to use the function constructively and the Fe descriptions seem to describe people who use it in a more constructive manner? I think if you're dominant Fi, you'll have no problem determining that you prefer Fi to Fe. Likewise, if you're a dominant Fe, you can probably determine quite easily that you prefer Fe to Fi. I'm a dominant Ti, and have no problem determining that I prefer Ti to Te. When the function is your inferior, I think it gets trickier to determine which one you really prefer.

I don't think think this is true for all INTPs, but I do think its true for some.