• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and Authority

Ten

MBTI Type
nfj
Enneagram
The ENTP with whom I work seems to always be sucking up to authority figures. He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others with the authority figures and with subordinates and colleagues on an equal level he seems to be always either indirectly threatening to report some minor and I mean really thing they did to someone more senior. I am an INFJ who have no particular respect for authority; I thought that ENTPs were likely to be a bit anti-authority too only to find that not even the ISFJs I know seem to be sycophantic and obsequious with authority. What is going on here? Is this some kind of shadow ENTP behavior linked to fourth function Si?

W

WALMART

The ENTP with whom I work seems to always be sucking up to authority figures. He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others with the authority figures and with subordinates and colleagues on an equal level he seems to be always either indirectly threatening to report some minor and I mean really thing they did to someone more senior. I am an INFJ who have no particular respect for authority; I thought that ENTPs were likely to be a bit anti-authority too only to find that not even the ISFJs I know seem to be sycophantic and obsequious with authority. What is going on here? Is this some kind of shadow ENTP behavior linked to fourth function Si?

Layers on this post.

ENTP's despise authority, on the grounds they feel individual action is important.

ENTP's love authority, on grounds they want people to act like them.

Example: they suck up to upper management, to gain higher ground to influence more people. The influence being... Don't listen to me.

It's an ironic thing.

Also, im drunk.

Jaguar

Ten said:
He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others

So you came online to gossip about a guy who gossips.
Sure, that makes sense.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
entp are the most rational of rational in that element. it's only perceived as a suck up. if it was visa versa, the other may see it as a suck up when, the whole time, they're neutral. they get along for the sake of civilization. because civilization is rational.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Layers on this post.

ENTP's despise authority, on the grounds they feel individual action is important.

Example: they suck up to upper management, to gain higher ground to influence more people. The influence being... Don't listen to me.....

I'd tend to agree, when I think of the ENTP's I know. None of them particularly like authority, but they know how to "play the game", or so they say. They see the advantages of getting on the boss's good side, just for when it may come in handy. They probably don't see any benefit in getting on their bad side, for good reason.

Although I did have one ENTP friend that just genuinely looked up and admired his INTJ boss. It's another possibility.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible

Thats not a entp problem. Thats a problem of enneagram 6 and enneagram 3.

I never suck up to authority unless it serves some purpose.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

MBTI won't be able to answer your question because MBTI is not psychology, it is a technology.

It is not concerned with why a person chooses an end, It is only concerned with how they arrive at it via the 4 dimensions.

I see this bigotry everywhere. That a certain MBTI type should, could and will act a certain way. And then when the evidence shows otherwise, they start to massage the definitions of MBTI to make the picture fit.

MBTI types are not categories to generalize people.

That ENTP, is a very insecure dipshit who uses fear and intimidation to get his promotions, not on his own merits. Why? Because he knows that he is already at a job that he cannot do confidently. Accept this, and move along accordingly.

If you express this issue with his superiors, and nothing is done, then the management cancer goes all the way up. Perhaps not by intent, but by indifference. Tyrants looooove indifference people. Watch out.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not buying that they are 'just playing the game', at least not all of the time. I do think that ENTP tends to challenge authority, but will ultimately fall in line when pressure is applied.. not as a function of clever Ti, but tertiary Fe.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They do things if they make sense to them. Only.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
When I bring information about things my subordinates are doing to the person I work for, it's to seek advice for the best way to handle it because I have a lot of respect for the person I work for.

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Type can't describe everything. But, I suspect ENTPs, due to their canny political nature, do a good job of managing up.

Myrtle

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Fuck Cops!...ohh was i supposed to say something of substance...

I can see how i could come of as talking shit, but my colleges want me to lie for them all the time. Usually i say word for word what they said and if asked further i just say "he told me to say X" why should I lie for them when i know they talk shit about me being late all the time when i know i still work harder then most.

But i think your correct ENFP I want to challange authority but usually does as it says. However this dosent apply to when i have a bigger goal in mind, if its about me coming in time, or working harder or taking on more responsiblilty I usually agree, but when the try to fuck with my pay i covertly raise hell, and have done so on several occacions, actually the facatory manager came out and had a talk with all the Temp-employees because he relized that someone was trying to raise hell because we the temps dident get the bounus as did the full time employees, haha! need little to say i was running an covert-strategy that failed and made him angry.

I'm currently running a long time scheme trying to implement thoughts of worker-management as the current management is being running the factory into the ground but i dont even myself belivie theres more then 0.1% chance it will come to that, but why not try to see what responsen i get from some suggestions.

But really I consider myself neutral, i want everyone to get along and i dont wanna badmouth anyone, but if someone asks me i want lie unless its for a greater cause, i will conceal info thou to protect friends.

Ten

MBTI Type
nfj
Enneagram
That ENTP, is a very insecure dipshit who uses fear and intimidation to get his promotions, not on his own merits. Why? Because he knows that he is already at a job that he cannot do confidently. Accept this, and move along accordingly.

Do you work where I do? I find your post most psychic. He is indeed involved in a job that is rather typical for ISFJs and one which I consider extremely unsuitable for an ENTP. I have wanted to ask him why he went into the area of work that he did but he is the type of guy who is easily able to use your own words to harm you (often by going to complain to his managers) so I say very, very little to him.

He does seem to be seeking a promotion but it kind of hurts me to see an ENTP not using their inventive mind but going along with any stupid crap that the managers says should be done and enforcing their retarded rules with vigour. I think he is rather unhappy as well because he constantly seems to be complaining/fussing about something really, really petty and I mean really petty and seeing 'a fly in the ointment' where non exists. For instance, he seems to always be asking about smells in the environment that no one else can detect, not even the sensors.

In the past, I have known ENTPs who defy authority and then give into to it often under pressure but this guy seems to be living out his ISFJ shadow, like you see all these ISFJs traits in him but they are perverted in a really bad way.

Ten

MBTI Type
nfj
Enneagram
I'm not buying that they are 'just playing the game', at least not all of the time. I do think that ENTP tends to challenge authority, but will ultimately fall in line when pressure is applied.. not as a function of clever Ti, but tertiary Fe.

It is true that I do not think they are just playing any game, now that I am looking back at the few ENTP acquaintances I have had, they do seem to get strangely drawn into the conventional eventually.

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when i've seen that sort of behavior from ENTPs i've always interpreted it as them acting on ambition, first and foremost. it's getting ahead, to them.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Layers on this post.

Example: they suck up to upper management, to gain higher ground to influence more people. The influence being... Don't listen to me.

It's an ironic thing.

Also, im drunk.

Co-sign

Myrtle

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think when ENTPs complain alot like that its their lack of control, atleast for me when I can't get responses for my ideas or get any room to maneuver or get caught to long time in monotonous work. I just get into this habit of complaining alot, cause its my only room to do anything.

I think in a lot of ways whe're opportunists, that sometimes waits. Atleast I do that, I try to stir in ideas and thoughts within a group of people and gain their trust so when the timing is right i can launch my project with little resistence.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think when ENTPs complain alot like that its their lack of control, atleast for me when I can't get responses for my ideas or get any room to maneuver or get caught to long time in monotonous work. I just get into this habit of complaining alot, cause its my only room to do anything.

I think in a lot of ways whe're opportunists, that sometimes waits. Atleast I do that, I try to stir in ideas and thoughts within a group of people and gain their trust so when the timing is right i can launch my project with little resistence.

I do this as well.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
entp are the most rational of rational in that element. it's only perceived as a suck up. if it was visa versa, the other may see it as a suck up when, the whole time, they're neutral. they get along for the sake of civilization. because civilization is rational.

Whoaaa professor!! So lovely to see you!!