• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Thoughts on my type (INTP)?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I really like my environment to look nice. I'm kinda lazy about putting things away, but everything has a place and it bothers me if things are not in their places. As for the laptop, I'll do kind of a compromise where I'll leave it, but in a way that looks nice, i.e. at the end of the couch on the little cushion I use. Also I kind of follow a "trail" of objects if there are things I have to remember. I multitask a lot, so I don't always finish things- but if I can look at them I am reminded. I will leave a water bottle next to my purse so I won't forget it, leave a tea bag out to remember I was going to make tea, and otherwise leave parts of unfinished tasks out. Or if I am trying to remember where I put my keys I'll go back to when I came inside, remember where I went first, and check there- like if it was in my room they would be beside my bed or if it was in the kitchen they would be on the counter, or if I put all my stuff down by the table or the couch my keys would be not far away. I only misplace my keys and sometimes cell phone because there are multiple places where it would make sense to put them.

Aha, definately intuitive, but you don't seem too strong on the perceiver side. If I didn't know better, you might even be more on the judging side. Living a more structured life instead of a flexible one. But that's just based on this post, and I don't think INFJ really fits you.

INTP 6w5 would also explain it, makes the most sense. xD

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok. Yeah, I was attributing my fondness for order to the J influence. And I am definitely more INTJ than INFJ. The way I take in information and the way I make decisions are like INTJ. But in my daily life I think I act more INTP. I dunno. As for structure in my life, I make a lot of plans and then change them just because I can. If I need to get something done, whether it is for school or fun, the J influence helps. I don't know about Enneagram. I could fit 5w6, 6w5, 6w7, 3w4...I haven't read the descriptions of all of these subtypes yet. That's my next task. I just know I identify with 3,4,5,6, and 7.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok. Yeah, I was attributing my fondness for order to the J influence. And I am definitely more INTJ than INFJ. The way I take in information and the way I make decisions are like INTJ. But in my daily life I think I act more INTP. I dunno. As for structure in my life, I make a lot of plans and then change them just because I can. If I need to get something done, whether it is for school or fun, the J influence helps. I don't know about Enneagram. I could fit 5w6, 6w5, 6w7, 3w4...I haven't read the descriptions of all of these subtypes yet. That's my next task. I just know I identify with 3,4,5,6, and 7.

Gee, the more I read your posts, the more I start to doubt. :D

Hmm, Cognative functionwise, INTP and INTJ are worlds apart. You can't be an INTP with a weak P turning into INTJ or something like that. Or vice versa.

INTP's are Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
INTJ's are Ni-Te-Fi-Se

So you can see they are in most ways almost complete opposites from each other function wise. To become INTJ as INTP or vice versa would require a complete restructuring of your cognative processes. It is impossible.

You are INTP, laid back, flexible, but ofcourse able to commit to a sort of work mode if you deem it neccesary to plan and organise if you will. An INTP's 'J' work mode is nothing more than just a descision to sacrifice being the INTP self in order to do some stuff they would naturally not do. It's not an actual trnsition into a J type.
Or you are INTJ, naturally organising, planning stuff, but being able to choose to be flexible and laid back about some things. They won't become perceivers, but just make a conscious choice to do things differently.

As for INFJ's, they are probably hardest to self-type and due to their tertiary can be quite grounded and seemingly INTP especially if they are more balanced INFJ's with no particular extreme INFJ tendencies or preferences. INFJ description is also one of the more vague descriptions out there, so it's not easy to type yourself from description alone since there can be so many different facets to an INFJ or different views an INFJ can have opposed to any other INFJ, that makes it hard for an INFJ to relate to one specific description of said INFJ.

I'm sorry, but I'm not entirely convinced you are an INTP just yet. xD

Before you go enneagram, can you read up on functions and see how you relate to those?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha fair enough. I've taken different CF quizzes though, and usually Ni is near the top. One said something like Ni Ti Ne Te Si Fi Fe Se, which looks like INTP and INTJ superimposed on each other. If it were the case that that was more my CF stackup, being kind of in the middle on P and J would make sense. I'm about to take another one, since that particular quiz didn't show up in my search.

Ok, here are my results to this (pretty in depth) test.

Extroversion (67%) / Introversion (44%)

Sensation (53%) / Intuition (65%)

Thinking (81%) / Feeling (43%)

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (73%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (66%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (66%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Si (Introverted Sensing) (66%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (61%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (58%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (48%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - entp

I don't know how they can conclude extroversion and introversion from these questions, but I know I'm not an extrovert. And I didn't really know how to answer the questions about adherence to traditions/customs and conformity, so I usually picked in the middle. I like traditions and customs if they are interesting and I can see why they make sense. Like participating in foreign cultures, ancient spiritual paths, etc. I am the first to reject them however if they are outdated and are rooted in sexism or oppression. As for conformity, I am a chameleon. I want to be able to blend in with any group to suit my purposes and have external harmony. I don't ever conform internally, however, and externally if I really want to do something differently, I will try do (peacefully) get an exception for myself. I want to authentically be myself while blending in enough to get along. As for external systems, methods, and hierarchies, I am generally an anarchist, but if something doesn't affect me and I can see how it would make sense (like doing things a certain way and deferring to more experienced coworkers in a restaurant situation), I'm usually fine with it. I will respect authority if it is worthy of my respect.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroversion |||||||||| 34%
Orderliness |||||||||||||||| 62%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||||||| 66%
Accommodation |||||| 28%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||||| 76%

The Big Five is currently the most accepted personality model in the scientific community. The Big Five emerged from the work of multiple independent scientists/researchers starting in the 1950s who using different techniques obtained similar results. Those results were that there are five distinct personality traits/dimensions. Here are your results on each dimension:

Extroversion results were moderately low which suggests you are reclusive, quiet, unassertive, and private.

Orderliness results were moderately high which suggests you are, at times, overly organized, neat, structured and restrained at the expense too often of flexibility, variety, spontaneity, and fun.

Emotional Stability results were moderately high which suggests you are relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were low which suggests you are overly selfish, uncooperative, and difficult at the expense too often of the well being of others.

Inquisitiveness results were high which suggests you are very intellectual, curious, imaginative but possibly not very practical.
Your Global5/SLOAN type is RCOEI
Your Primary type is Inquisitive

I don't understand what their conclusions mean. I would say mostly accurate. I am not unassertive. I don't consider myself a selfish person, I just prefer to live my life in such a way that my actions don't affect other people either way. I try to find a balance, but if I have to choose between my needs and someone else's, obviously I'm going to choose mine. And it would be healthy for them to choose theirs. Which is why we need to negotiate and just detach if necessary. I think I'm fairly practical. I look after myself. I just an sometimes unaware of some things. I don't think I am overly orderly, but I do have inertia and too often live in my comfort zone. I try to make a point to get out of it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, the closeness of you functions strengths isn't making it easy.

The first test is inconclusive. I can't believe they dared to give a type (entp) for those results. :p

But the big five seems to point towards INTJ.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

Could you read that page and pick out the cognative functions based on their descriptions that you think fit you best?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok. Based on the descriptions:

Si>Se
Te=Ti
Ne>Ni
Fi>Fe
So just a guess based on intuition, analysis, applying systematic logic, past behavior, etc.:
Ne=Ti=Te>Si>Fi>Ni>Fe>Se

:/

With the outfit analogy, I go to my closet and think, what outfit do I feel like wearing (which is season and weather appropriate)? Do I "see" myself in anything in particular? If there is an external circumstance to consider, like if I am going to work, or if I need to wear comfortable shoes, or if I need to bring a jacket, I will. I think a lot about what the general "feel" of an outfit is, like what it would communicate. How it connects to a collective spirit and which one I want to connect to at the moment.
If I am going to buy something, I first look at things kind of with an idea of what I need in the back of my mind if I need something, and see if anything strikes my fancy. If I really love something, I try it on and see if it looks perfect on me. Then I look at the price. If it's cheap I'll buy it if I love it. If it's expensive I either won't, or if it is in an acceptable price range I'll wait and see if I still love it later, whether I've always wanted something like it, whether I can put it together with things I already have, and if it goes on sale. I never make impulsive or unwise purchases.

INTP with weird function development? I can see INTJ, but I never thought I was productive or busy or uptight enough. All the INTJ's I've known are much more than I am.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok. Based on the descriptions:

Si>Se
Te=Ti
Ne>Ni
Fi>Fe
So just a guess based on intuition, analysis, applying systematic logic, past behavior, etc.:
Ne=Ti=Te>Si>Fi>Ni>Fe>Se

:/

With the outfit analogy, I go to my closet and think, what outfit do I feel like wearing (which is season and weather appropriate)? Do I "see" myself in anything in particular? If there is an external circumstance to consider, like if I am going to work, or if I need to wear comfortable shoes, or if I need to bring a jacket, I will. I think a lot about what the general "feel" of an outfit is, like what it would communicate. How it connects to a collective spirit and which one I want to connect to at the moment.
If I am going to buy something, I first look at things kind of with an idea of what I need in the back of my mind if I need something, and see if anything strikes my fancy. If I really love something, I try it on and see if it looks perfect on me. Then I look at the price. If it's cheap I'll buy it if I love it. If it's expensive either won't, or if it is in an acceptable price range I'll wait and see if I still love it later, whether I've always wanted something like it, whether I can put it together with things I already have, and if it goes on sale. I never make impulsive or unwise purchases.

INTP with weird function development? I can see INTJ, but I never thought I was productive or busy or uptight enough. All the INTJ's I've known are much more than I am.

Hmm, well, trusting your intuitiveness in your selftyping after reading those descriptions, an INTP with Te as shadow function explains the J appearance on the big five test and in your orginisational skills, Te being a judging cognative function, and I too finally feel like that could be a proper good fit.

For now, I think you could go with that. But hmm, your tests were still all over the place. So yeah, you're not that strongly rooted into the type. Having mild reservations as you explore yourself further is advised!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
K. :) Sounds good. Yeah, it took a lot of research and complicated analysis to decide. I guess I am a bit atypical.

My conclusion: I'm special. :p haha

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By the way, using Te a lot as a shadow function would likely insinuate that you have been exposed to a lot of Te users during your upbringing, having developped your Te through adapation, making it a prominent part of your unconscious mind.

Do you have any idea what types your parents/guardians were?

If true it wouldn't really be conclusive evidence, but it would at least strengthen the possibility.

rav3n

Extroversion |||||||||| 34%
Orderliness |||||||||||||||| 62%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||||||| 66%
Accommodation |||||| 28%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||||| 76%

Your results with the short form Big Five loosely correlate to INTJ.

Should add that I see more Te in you than Ti. As well, Fi resonates heavily throughout much of your responses in the opening post. As a guess, you're INFP, even though none of your results point in this direction.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Should add that I see more Te in you than Ti. As well, Fi resonates heavily throughout much of your responses in the opening post. As a guess, you're INFP, even though none of your results point in this direction.

Hm. Would you explain?

I do use Ti a lot, but it might not be apparent; I use categories, definitions, and archetypes a lot in my thought processes. And by a lot I mean it's hard for me to function if I can't put something into a category or find some sort of an explanation for it, even if it's a kind of crazy explanation. I analyze things to death, and in the minutest detail. I'm obsessed with astrology, which might not seem like an INTP thing, but I apply these archetypes to everything and everyone pretty much. The thought process with my particular use of and application of astrology is very Ti. I always need to know underlying principles, and that is the basis for my philosophy (the subject of which is currently my major). I love logic and use it as often as possible.

I guess I use Fi, but I feel like I incorporate it into my intuition. When I feel something, it is initially the same process for me as Ne or Ni except with the added emphasis from my unconscious mind of "pay attention to this!" It's not always directly connected to emotion or value or attachment.

I decided I couldn't be INFP for a number of reasons, but mainly that Ti would be a shadow function. And I have no problems whatsoever with Ti. More often Fi or emotions (which would be the domain of Fi rather than any of the other functions) causes me problems, so it makes more sense for Fi to be a shadow function. And it always ranks below the thinking functions in the tests.

But I am very interested to know your reasoning.

rav3n

Okay, let's try this from another angle. Conceptualise for me how you think in general, in pictorial terms using metaphors or analogies. Forget JCF and MBTI terms.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know a lot of people here get sick of all the "Please type meeeee!" threads, but this one is different. I am 99% sure I am INTP.

I'm 99% sure you aren't INTP.

You strike me as INFP, rather strongly.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, let's try this from another angle. Conceptualise for me how you think in general, in pictorial terms using metaphors or analogies. Forget JCF and MBTI terms.

If I can't do it does that mean I'm not INTP? haha
I think I would have to have a specific example.
But in general, I see how something fits in with the system of understanding the world I have built up. I see whether it makes sense. I think about what the words and concepts mean, and see if I can apply them. I use deduction and induction. I look for contradictions and evidence. I break things apart. Also I am very visual and think in pictures a lot, but I can't draw them on here. Also energy patterns and diagrams. There might be more. Maybe I'm letting the terms color my thoughts- I do think in impressions and take into consideration what I value and like/dislike, but I never let that be my final answer because I want to measure subjectivity against objective truth and the big picture.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm 99% sure you aren't INTP.

You strike me as INFP, rather strongly.
What?? Why??
Is this reasoning fundamentally flawed? Have I been living a lie??
I decided I couldn't be INFP for a number of reasons, but mainly that Ti would be a shadow function. And I have no problems whatsoever with Ti. More often Fi or emotions (which would be the domain of Fi rather than any of the other functions) causes me problems, so it makes more sense for Fi to be a shadow function. And it always ranks below the thinking functions in the tests.

There's more to the reasoning of course, but I can't take the time to write a whole page and expect everyone to want to read it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, using Te a lot as a shadow function would likely insinuate that you have been exposed to a lot of Te users during your upbringing, having developped your Te through adapation, making it a prominent part of your unconscious mind.

Do you have any idea what types your parents/guardians were?

If true it wouldn't really be conclusive evidence, but it would at least strengthen the possibility.

Interesting idea. Dunno. Both my parents are I and probably S. My dad definitely T. I'm thinking ISTJ for him and F for my mom. I'd have to look at the CF hierarchy for the different types to decide. They both are very critical and judgmental people.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What?? Why??
Is this reasoning fundamentally flawed? Have I been living a lie??

Probably. You are a walking example of Fi, right down to your username.

There's more to the reasoning of course, but I can't take the time to write a whole page and expect everyone to want to read it.

Oh, I've read much of what you've written on many threads. I've been dealing with INTPs online for 7 years now and there's nothing you've written/revealed that makes me sense Ti. In fact, it looks like absence of Ti.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably. You are a walking example of Fi, right down to your username.

Oh, I've read much of what you've written on many threads. I've been dealing with INTPs online for 7 years now and there's nothing you've written/revealed that makes me sense Ti. In fact, it looks like absence of Ti.

I am inclined to think you are biased. Can you back this up with reasoning and examples? Are INTP's too "rational" to believe in fairies? Are you suggesting there can be no explanation for their existence which in any way resembles rational?
Saying absence of Ti tells me you are implying I am illogical. Or am I misinterpreting?

I'm pretty sure my reasoning in interpreting what hierarchy my CFs should be in based on the descriptions awhile back is an example of using Ti. Or do I have faulty definitions of Ti and logic?

Every question on every CF test which has to do with Ti sounds like something I identify with. Every description sounds like something I identify with. If my reasoning was this faulty, I would think it would have led me astray in big ways in other areas of life, and that hasn't happened.