• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] People and feelings.

Poll question.

• I am able to understand the feelings of others, however I prioritize reason.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I am able to understand the feelings of others, affect my judgments.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not able to understand the feelings of others.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I am not an NT.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

kevinlivecomau

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w6
NTs, just wondering how you guys direct your ability to empathize and relate to people.

2nd option should say. I am able to understand the feelings of others, and allow them to affect my judgments. Sorry, it's late and I'm derping.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My response is mixed. I am able to understand the feelings of others only if the feelings are obvious, or I know the person well. In other cases, my assessment is likely to be wrong. I rely on reason in making judgments, in large part because it is the only thing I really can rely upon, since the feelings data often have a low confidence level.

malachite

How am I supposed to answer when it depends on different cases/situations. I may prioritize reason or I may let their feelings affect me or even both. And in some cases, I may never understand the other person's feelings. Although if you're polling NTs, there may be a bias towards the first answer just because it says "reason." But who's to say letting feelings affect you isn't a type of reasoning?

Nicodemus

I create models of how other people's minds work within my own mind. These include, to some degree, their feelings. I refrain from trying to feel their feelings, however, because that would invade their privacy and make me feel filthy.