• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Am I an INTP or ENTP?

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
Hey all...I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to ask your guys' opinion, out of curiosity I took some MBTI tests again (on the net) and came out ENTP for most. In high school I scored INTP, I was much shyer/reserved then...

Since being put on antidepressants (zoloft) I feel like my personality has changed alot, my social anxiety has all but disappeared :)D). I very much enjoy social situations and have been called the life of the party on occasion. Whereas before I would need lots of time alone to recharge my social batteries I don't need much at all anymore. Talking to strangers and women have become loads easier...

What decides whether I am an INTP/ENTP? I am a very good listener, and am good at poking holes in people's stories when they don't make sense. I tend to pick up on social cues/ details that other's miss. I consider myself very articulate when I speak...it's easy for me to put my ideas into words. I tend to like to work without the help of others and do things own, as I think I do things best much of the time. When working out a problem I deliberate on it internally rather then bouncing my ideas off others, for the most part. So what type am I more like? I can answer more questions if that would help determine as well.

Thanks!:bye:

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
Ok, these are my results.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************* (19.6)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.8)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************** (28.9)
average use

Says my type is ESTP, I've gotten it once before, but usually I get ENTP/INTP.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Ok, these are my results.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************* (19.6)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.8)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************** (28.9)
average use

Says my type is ESTP, I've gotten it once before, but usually I get ENTP/INTP.

You could be ESTP. Fill out this questionaire, and post your answers....

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Sometimes I tend to over analyze things/ponder ideas more then my peers, which makes me wonder whether I’m introverted/extroverted.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I yearn for success, with money and women…I like being the best at things. I wish to be completely autonomous, and to not lean on others for my happiness. I think it may have to do with the fact that I’m an only child. I’m not very trusting of others, especially when it comes to intimate relationships.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When I succeeded in getting with a girl who I had had a crush on for awhile. It made me happy to know I could set my sights on a goal that I wanted to reach desperately and eventually achieve that goal.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When people discount me as not being able to succeed in a certain area.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

How it will benefit me…Secondly, whether my decision will hurt my friends or someone I care about.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I emphasize being concise and making sure my work makes sense. I do like to have control of the outcome, or at least partial control if it is a group project.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Last night at my house I had a party and invited my group of friends over. We all had a good time, playing various drinking games as college kids do haha. I definitely liked being a little rowdier and louder than usual with everyone (due to drunkenness). I very much enjoyed the group discussions we had and remembering past experiences/fun we’ve collectively had as a group.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Definitely not hands on…I like to memorize techniques and theorize as to how I would put those techniques into practice.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Not very organized.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I definitely look at the principles and see if they make sense. I value that ‘Aha, that’s interesting’ moment I get when I understand the theory behind a new idea and how it’s supposed to work when put into practice.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I value autonomy, so I try and do right by myself before I do right by others. Not to say I go behind my friends’ backs or anything, but I think I’m more independent than most people.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I definitely think before speaking most times, but not if I’m in a party setting. I like group discussions…especially telling stories and such to the whole group.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Sometimes I tend to make decisions on a whim, before really thinking them through. Often times that can come back to bite me, haha. I do very much think that actions speak louder than words. I am not one for boasting, and try to let my accomplishments speak for themselves.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I would go out, and catch the show at a different time.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I clam up, and don’t talk as much. I become fidgety…my I tap my foot consistently when I’m sitting down etc.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I don’t like when people are too clingy…I value independence. I see being overly emotional as a weakness.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Haha, I like talking about girls (I’m sure every guy does). Besides that, I like to tell stories, make plans, and talk about various things I’ve read in the news. With the right person I enjoy having theoretical discussions.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Chores…day to day cleaning etc.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I suppose they see me as funny, witty, and sarcastic. I got the nickname “wildcard” in high school for my tendency to do things that people wouldn’t expect of me, out of the blue. My friends would never say that I am overly clingy or loud. I can’t think of anything that’s wrong about their perception…

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Sleep until whenever I like, go outside…explore, adventure. Hang out with friends. Play guitar at my leisure.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're definitely a Ti-user/ TP, but I don't really see INTP. To be honest, based on your questionaire, you sound more STP, and I'm leaning more to ESTP.

Here's a question for you: How would you rate your enthusiasm when something interests you? Are you comfortable sharing your enthusiasm with others? Are you comfortable sharing your interests to others, do you pick and choose who to share it with, or do you keep most things to yourself?

Note: The above questions are really just from my own experience with other TP types.

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
Thanks for answering! Just curious, what makes me seem S rather then N? When I get a new interest, (and I get them often ) I learn absolutely as much as I can about the subject, almost to the point of obsession ....I seek out forums, books, any information I can seek out on the subject really. It must be quite comical to others because I get made fun of for it occasionally, haha. I do share my enthusiasm...sometimes I try to keep it on the down low but I can't help it sooner or later. The thing is, I have so many different interests...sometimes this enthusiasm lasts for days, or weeks, with other interests it lasts longer, for several years...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it seems your days of depression and social anxiety have made you appear INTP in tests, although the reasons you had for answering the questions the way you did were unlikely to be the same reasons an actual INTP would have had. INTP's can be depressed and have social anxiety like any other type, but that is not what makes an INTP INTP, if you get what I mean. :p

I don't see much use of Ne in your answers and posts at all. So on the surface, I would agree with the others that have said you are in fact likely to be an ESTP. Se dom and Ti aux seems to fit your story well.

edit: As for what makes you seem more S than N.

I tend to pick up on social cues/ details that other's miss. I consider myself very articulate when I speak...it's easy for me to put my ideas into words.

That part of the first post is Se, the putting ideas into words is Se-Ti.. Whereas there was no mention of using Ne.

Ne-Ti is not particularly good at putting ideas into words in a literal sense, rather they are very good at trying to explain themselves in a more abstract sense. A good Ne-Ti user, can shape his explanations to fit the intellect and experience of the listener. For example, when explaining a concept that is inherently foreign to the listener, Ne-Ti will focus and try to make a bridge to something the listener is familiar to in order to make the concept less foreign to allow the listener to better understand the concept of the idea as a whole before tackling the details. INTP's and ENTP's tend to run around the bush for a while. ESTP's are more direct and clear in a literal sense, but might require the listener to be familiar with the conceptualizations required to fully understand the explanation.

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
Very well haha, I guess I could be ESTP. From what I've been reading, they seem like they're always doing something...perhaps I'm just a bit of a lazy ESTP...

And in response to the above...I think it is very possible that I was an INTP before my depression/ social anxiety developed. I wasn't a depressed kid, but was always quite shy, and wrapped up in my own thoughts. I created complex explanations for the things that I thought I saw...In addition, both my parents scored INT when they took the MBTI...

That being said...not anymore. I am sooo much less self-conscious, and find myself now placing outward judgement before placing hard scrutiny on myself like I used to. I'm much less emotional as well, and don't let it cloud my reason anymore. Interestingly enough there is much evidence to suggest that SSRI's such as Zoloft actually encourage neuronal circuits to connect in new ways; this is theorized to explain why it takes about a month or so for ssri's to kick in and help the medicated feel better.

So I think it might be possible that my type was actually changed by the meds, not that I'm complaining. I like myself a lot more now anyway...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very well haha, I guess I could be ESTP. From what I've been reading, they seem like they're always doing something...perhaps I'm just a bit of a lazy ESTP...

EST->P<-

;P

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
Hahaha...very well :p I was just reading a "portrait of an estp" and the nickname given was "The Doer." Of course I do things, but I don't always need to be doing things. Other parts of the personality did seem to fit though.

The Way you described the difference between an "Se" person and an "ne" person explaining things was quite interesting, I definitely do feel more like the Se type.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your answers to #19 & 20 sounded especially STPish to me. Maybe this thread would help? http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/55036-differences-between-entp-estp.html

Also, I think ESTP descriptions make them sound always hyper. That's not really true. A lot of the ESTP's I know are super chill. You could possibly consider an ISTP as a type you identify as well... There are pretty extroverted ISTPs out there (I'm not really one of them, but I've had phases before). Tertiary Ni as an ISTP might explain why you enjoy theorizing about things. Tertiary Ni for me has always been a pleasant, fun type of process for me. They call tertiary functions "relief" roles, and that's exactly how it feels.

As a side note, ESTP's I know tend to have an excellent memory of events. ENTP's I know.. not so much. Sometimes it will take my ENTP half a movie to realize he's already seen it before. Also, another very striking NTP trait is they're always thinking/brainstorming/talking about their ideas and concepts of things. It energizes them, it seems. It's a huge part of what makes an NTP an NTP.

greywolf29

MBTI Type
NTP
That does strike home...I do have an excellent memory of the way things happened, be it in a book, movie, or real life. I tend to surprise people on occasion. Thanks for the thread link!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes it will take my ENTP half a movie to realize he's already seen it before.

Was probably a bad movie though. Happens to me a lot.

Just the other day I was watching a movie, and after 30 minutes I was like.

"Hmm, this movie is pretty crap. Although, something about it seems familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. This interests me. I should keep watching!"

And then after 45 minutes I'm suddenly.

"Oh damn! Now I know why it was so familiar, I've seen it already!".