• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Where do you like to go on vacation?

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
What are some of your favorite vacation spots? My (suspected INTP) boyfriend and I have our first chance to take a summer vacation, and I'm trying to come up with ideas.

I love taking trips and exploring, but he can be a bit of a homebody and would prefer spending vacation time on the computer. He's the first person I've met who actually expressed a dislike of traveling, which surprised me. I want him to have a really fun introduction to vacationing with me, so he'll be more open to it in the future.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is he an outdoorsy type or more of an urban rat?

I'm guessing there's a preference for the former, so why not go some place with a lot of INTP-ish activities. That is, museums, bookstores, camera/tech stores, beer bars, etc.

In other words a big city like New York or San Francisco. Or even better, Portland, OR.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you have a passport, Vancouver is fun.

Jae Rae

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
Is he an outdoorsy type or more of an urban rat?

I'm guessing there's a preference for the former, so why not go some place with a lot of INTP-ish activities. That is, museums, bookstores, camera/tech stores, beer bars, etc.

In other words a big city like New York or San Francisco. Or even better, Portland, OR.

I don't think he's very outdoorsy. He doesn't see the fun in camping and hates sand, so beaches are out of the question.

Good suggestions! I've never been to California, so San Francisco might be cool.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you have a passport, Vancouver is fun.

Jae Rae

Seconded. Best sushi in North America.

And the first place I ever saw a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think he's very outdoorsy. He doesn't see the fun in camping and hates sand, so beaches are out of the question.

Good suggestions! I've never been to California, so San Francisco might be cool.

San Fran is great. Is he a beer geek (a lot of INTPs are). You've got the Anchor brewery there, and a great beer bar in the Haight called 'Toronado'. And there's SFMOMA for shared ISFP/INTP art appreciation, and all that great food, too. Seems like a safe bet.

Funny how much latitude there is in MBTI types. I love the outdoors and can't get enough of camping and hiking. But I'm also a big city person, too.

WillMagic

MBTI Type
INTP
Not outdoorsy, likes computers, INTP, sounds like me. Go to Paris or SF.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Being an INTP that does not like the outdoors, but who does like to observe, one of my favourite cities is Florence. Italy in general. But it is rather busy when I am too I'ish. Then Norway is the perfect alternative.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd like to go on a vacation first to see what it's like. :p

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The Rockies.... Italy.. South of France. Northern Sweden... Ireland is fun. Go on a long North American road trip! The possibilities are endless.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Lots of European city breaks with huge carbon footprints. Very much like Poland - recommend Krakow and Gdansk tri-city; Warsaw has great bits and is becoming post-industrial very slowly. In 5 years it will be spoiled. Istanbul in Spring, staying in Yesilkoy. Malta in early winter; Canaries mid-winter if you like associating with pissed pensioners. Helsinki & Reykjavik after the annual bonus.

Paris - never again. I don't remember Paris much but Paris remembers me..

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'd like to see and experience almost every country and city once. :yes:

Last edited:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Spain (again. been there a lot.)
2. Turkey (not gobble-gobble)
3. South-eastern France (Languedoc-Roussilion region)
4. Cuba
5. Jamaica
6. Puerto Rico
7. Motorcycle from coast to coast of the United States on a Harley Fatboy
8. See the major cities in North America
8. A road trip in Austria, the Czech republic and Hungary
9. A backpacking trip all around Australia
10. Last but not at all least, i'd like to go to a place called Port Isaac in Cornwall, it's so goddamn beautiful there (at least during summertime). :wubbie:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If you've got an INTP that doesn't like to travel and you don't want him to be a grumpy drag, see if you can tap into one of his interests and go with that. Museums are good. Or go someplace familiar to him that is new to you. Be ready to hear about the museum's inaccuracies or how a childhood haunt has changed for the worse, though. Consider picking a place you think you could enjoy year after year and making that your yearly vacation spot.

My INTP is fine with going to the water park a few hours away. I think I had to lean on him a little at first, but now it's sort of a tradition and he even seems to look forward to it.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
INTPs don't like to travel? :huh:

i love travel! :holy:

are you looking for someplace within the US or without?

San Francisco is lovely. There are enough things to do to occupy a curious INTP with electic interests. all the old hippy streets of Haight-Ashbury with their New Age shops and personal galleries; the Fisherman's Wharf (Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory is there :drool: ), where you can watch the seals, and see Alcatraz and Sausalito on ferry rides out. The original Beat area of Kerouac and Ginsberg. Quirky Lombard Street, the 'crookedest street in the world'. And the MOMA. Modern art at its edgiest best. :wubbie: ooh, and Castro, the gay area. hehe. (also one of the cleanest and most artistic area of San Francisco. the rainbow flags everywhere. beautiful.)

I love San Francisco for the pulse in the air; it's a place that is alive. In spring and summer, the daisies bloom out of cracks in the pavements, and there are flower boxes everywhere; the old Victorian houses, the parks, and of course, take a trip out to the Golden Gate Bridge. The scenery is lovely (careful not to get blown off by the wind though. :D )

cheers.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
San Francisco is lovely. There are enough things to do to occupy a curious INTP with electic interests. all the old hippy streets of Haight-Ashbury with their New Age shops and personal galleries; the Fisherman's Wharf (Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory is there :drool: ), where you can watch the seals, and see Alcatraz and Sausalito on ferry rides out. The original Beat area of Kerouac and Ginsberg. Quirky Lombard Street, the 'crookedest street in the world'. And the MOMA. Modern art at its edgiest best. :wubbie: ooh, and Castro, the gay area. hehe. (also one of the cleanest and most artistic area of San Francisco. the rainbow flags everywhere. beautiful.)

I love San Francisco for the pulse in the air; it's a place that is alive. In spring and summer, the daisies bloom out of cracks in the pavements, and there are flower boxes everywhere; the old Victorian houses, the parks, and of course, take a trip out to the Golden Gate Bridge. The scenery is lovely (careful not to get blown off by the wind though. :D )

Nice-- you summed it up better than I did. You've got me ready to go. Now.

Lucky thing I'm flying out there this Saturday (jumping off point for a Yosemite backcountry excursion). ;)

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I wanna go too!! :cry:

I miss San Francisco. Oh yea, and outside of the Bay Area!!! The wild seas of Monterey :wubbie: which was where Kerouac wrote Big Sur. and Gilroy, if you like garlic. :laugh:

Yosemite. :wubbie: The Grand Canyon. The Sierra Nevada mountains. That will always have a special place in my heart. :wubbie: Lake Tahoe. Go cross country. The last time I went, we did San Francisco, LA and Vegas (this last has to be seen to be believed. :shock: ) in one trip.

PS: if you're into books, visit Citylights bookstore. That's the original publisher of the Beat generation books. Lawrence Ferlinghetti runs the place; he was one of the Beat poets. If you're lucky, you may see him. Lots of little odd books from all over the world. :holy:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My INTP does not really like to travel. He HATES cities and is not particularly fond of nature (it lacks internet access and climate control and there are bugs in it). This is why I dream of buying an RV someday. I can travel. He can stay at 'home.' I can have nature. He can have climate control. We can still be together.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
oh, i don't quite like cities too; i like space. never liked crowds. that's a very intp thing, i think. but what i do love is the newness of it all. that's why i'd have thought that travel attracts an INTP. it's Ne playtime. :holy:

hm. wonder if we could have a poll.....would love of travel be type-driven? :thinking:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think that INTPs with better developed Ne probably like travel more than the Ti heavy ones do. That's just a pet theory of mine, though.