• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs ask stupid questions?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, you know, the blind guy can't see so he won't mind, but the other people around you would notice and think that you were being rude, although the blind guy wouldn't notice.

Well it's not like anyone's going to tell them, and if they do it's their fault if they offend them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Is an ST stupid? Oh absolutely.. I'm an NT after all. ST questions are really stupid, no honestly..

In my experience when an NTs question is considered stupid when it really isn't can usually be put down to the NT questioning those foundations which many regard as set in stone. Fortunately being told that it's a stupid question rarely seems to inhibit the NT considering the answer.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Asking stupid questions?

I don't think I really do that, since I only ask questions when I truly don't understand something, and in that instance it would be stupid not to ask.

The only questions I consider stupid are the ones that are asked after the question has already been answered, and the questioner wasn't paying attention at the time...like when a teacher tells the class the date something is due...there's always that inevitable idiot who was too busy playing with their cell phone or talking or something who asks again.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if the ones I ask are stupid but many are certainly socially inept. Like most people, I tend to gauge others by myself which, of course, doesn't account for hidden filters and/or feelings so some of them are experienced as invasive perhaps even hurtful. I never mean to invade or hurt its just that I wouldn't think that way.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I ask them, my mind tends to answer them a bit too late. It's not all the time, but eventually one pops out. I always thought of it as something universal. I've given up trying to get people to clarify sex references that go over my head.

Ditz

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember asking lots of questions like that... until I fell in love for the first time.

Most people don't go through a rational process in order to implement a reaction, they just react to what they're feeling. But the INT's are especially likely to analyze a response rather than feeling it and before ever allowing themselves to act upon it.

I don't think either way is particularly bad. The latter is able to step outside the box and make sure that the reactions are appropriate; the former acts in a more holistic fashion, actually LIVING rather than thinking about living.

But when INTs finally do let go and let themeselves fully feel it . . . WHOA!

The first time I kissed a girl I literaly almost passed out. 1000x better than any drug.

I guess that's a + and a - for INTs. We don't feel strong emotions as often as other types, but when we do it's realllly intense, or at least that's how it is for me.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Recently I asked a group of my peers what the point of couples holding hands was. I pointed out that there is absolutely no reason for it, and asked for a logical explanation.

They just laughed, and someone said "Because you want to." Lame. But I guess they thought it was a stupid question, because they were stumped.

I realise you're probably not expecting a response to this, but there has been plenty of research into this. I saw it on an alternative therapies program in the UK with Prof. Kathy Sykes. I spent an hour or so looking for the video, but I can't seem to find it. It's something along the lines of, knowing someone you care about is holding your hand means that the same parts of the brain react the same way it does when feeling safe and secure. Whereas a stranger holding your hand would have very little effect.

Ditz

MBTI Type
INTP
Also, I ask stupid questions all the time. The way I see it, there are an infinite number of things to study, and no one has studied them all. so I don't feel bad about not knowing something, even if somone laughs. I just ask the question and I get the answer, and that's one more thing I know.

nothappy

Questions aren't stupid. You may have knowledge on one thing, but not knowledgeable on the other. Common sense is non-existent.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Common sense is what's intuitively obvious... or the situation is familiar enough that we start making assumptions unconsciously and know that by acting in a predictable manner we will get the job done... or more commonly not hurt ourselves.

Unless you have mental impairment or are socially/technologically isolated you have common sense. Even the most feather for brains Ns do. :dry:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, questions that are likely to be perceived as stupid by the general populace. The sort that you ask, and everyone laughs, until somebody with enough Fe says, "Come now, there's no such thing as a stupid question."

I've often found myself asking questions about things that are 'obvious' to everybody else. And I find that when I ask these questions, I don't usually get an adequate response. It's just a regurgitation of what they said before, and if I was asking for clarification, well, how is that supposed to help? You don't clarify things by just repeating them!

I have a feeling that with the way NTs tend to think, they might end up overanalyzing and thus ask these sorts of 'stupid questions.'

So? Familiar experience? Or is this just me?

I recognize this a lot. Especially when I was younger I used to ask these "stupid" questions from time to time. I've kind of learned to adapt to other people and shut myself up when I feel the urge of asking "stupid" questions come up.
For an example, i'm a good electrician, and then everybody expects me to be "the handyman" and be able to fix cars and the like. I hate cars. :shock:
And I can't tell the difference from rear-view mirror and an exhaust system. OK, exaggeration, but you get the point.

nothappy

May I ask a dumb question?

WTF ever could lead you to deductively believe common sense is non existent?

Ask ANY NT or NF whether common sense exists and they will categorically tell you it does.

Common sense in one way, doesn't exist.
Common sense is non-existent in this manner, because "common" seems too broad for me... in global terms, anyway. We were meant to learn something, but
some may not have grasped the exact knowledge at the exact time...
Their attention could have shifted somewhere else, for example.

Also if you are referring to common sense as a matter of survival, I believe we adapted, from that common sense :to survive. So it exists in that context.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
My questions come out wrong and get misinterpreted as stupid. I have trouble forming verbal patterns on the spot, so my questions often get mangled.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
May I ask a dumb question?

WTF ever could lead you to deductively believe common sense is non existent?

Ask ANY NT or NF whether common sense exists and they will categorically tell you it does.

Oh yeah?

Common sense does not exist.

Logic exists. Common sense is an oxymoron.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Your interpretation of the word sense is too specific, Duke.

Common sense... common perception...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love it when a question answers itself by its very existence. ;)

I keed, I keed! Seriously, I think NTs may ask so-called stupid questions until they experience the social consequences often enough to be wary of asking any more.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Your interpretation of the word sense is too specific, Duke.

Common sense... common perception...

I think yours is too broad. When people say "common sense," they are referring to logic as if it is common. They are not saying that "everybody has senses."

martin87

MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember in primary school I used to ask teachers questions, just to see if they knew the correct answer. It was fun to see how some teachers would admit they didn't know the answer and others would give you an answer that didn't make sense.

I generally never hesitate to ask questions about things I don't understand. When on a lecture I even think it's very motivating for the lecturer to receive good questions, because it's a way to show that you are listening. I'm surprised how many people never ask questions on lectures and afterwards admit that they didn't quite understand what the professor was saying.

lisa

I realise you're probably not expecting a response to this, but there has been plenty of research into this. I saw it on an alternative therapies program in the UK with Prof. Kathy Sykes. I spent an hour or so looking for the video, but I can't seem to find it. It's something along the lines of, knowing someone you care about is holding your hand means that the same parts of the brain react the same way it does when feeling safe and secure. Whereas a stranger holding your hand would have very little effect.

that is cool stuff paul... i'm doing research on dopamine .. release at the moment.. to do with anxiety.. control and reward... trying to scientifically.. gather facts to support the *better* (in a long-term sense) style of rewarding with internal things.. rather than material-external rewards.. in long term mental stability.. peace.. happiness etc..

psychology....... always facinating..

nice to meet you.. am following you for a minute.. hope you don't mind.. am trying to learn personalities a little .. in this myers briggs style.. to see the different varieties.. and
whether it .. this dimensions of grading personality.. I-E N-S F-T S-P are as useful as i think they may be.. mm... don't like to *type* people though.. seems a little classing.. but is a necessary.. to group into understanding at times.. otherwise.. well. things would be all over the shop i guess... no understanding could be reached that can be easily applied.. recognised.. mm...

ok .. ciao bello... nice to meet everyone ... *wave* and *smiles* xxx lis : ))