• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How do you know an INTP is in love? INTP's please Help!

rav3n

INTPs are no different than other men or even moreso, in that if they're into you, they're in your face 24/7. They can't get enough of you since you're like a concept they're obsessed with where they want to know EVERYTHING about you.

If one isn't willing to commit and has stated it clearly, believe it. Enjoy the sex but don't expect more. This doesn't mean that more isn't ever possible but it's a long shot in the dark.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs in love might start acting like ENTPs by getting very verbose and showing off epic argumentative skills, just like Socrates!

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs in love might start acting like ENTPs by getting very verbose and showing off epic argumentative skills, just like Socrates!

Certainly seemed excessively Ne in my experience. But playful, not argumentative. Let's fly to the moon, pick up some cheese, hop on a meteor shooting over to mars, roll in some red dust, swing back to earth, analyse the ants, squish some pedestrians, what did you say something? I was too lost in your voice and missed the words.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh brother.
Get out.
He's not in love with you. And doesn't really sound INTP. Texts/calls/talks to you everyday and not even in a relationship? I couldn't imagine a bigger waste of time.
UR NOT REALLY INTP. :p

I talk to people every day that I'm not in a relationship with and have no desire to be in a relationship with. And I've had INTP men who talk to me every day and.. ditto.

xisnotx

Permabanned
As an intp, I'd really like to know myself.

But I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of love, particularly in the traditional sense.

I love everyone the same, which might mean I love no one. Everyone has value, and I deeply respect that, equally, regardless of how fond I am of you.

The people I'm more fond of, I find myself talking to...so perhaps you can draw some sort of conclusion from that.

Elusivity

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In my experience, ENTPs are just as likely to run around like a chicken with its head cut off when they start experiencing real emotions. They just tend to hide it better. This "running away in fear & confusion" thing is probably an NT-bug and not a feature.

It took 15 years of deliberate work for me to come to a point where I can seriously engage in a romantic relationship -- i.e. open the heart to trust and vulnerability, whatnot.

It's like we're born handicapped in something that other people seem to pick up and/or recover easily from. Hmf.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is very unlikely an INTP would be unfaithful. But an INTP is perfectly capable of completely sidetracking you without anyone else being involved. Which can still have the same effect and impact on your relationship. Once in a relationship with an INTP, you need to be the descisionmaker every now and then. Although INTP's value their freedom a lot, they are perfectly capable of compromise. And keeping him on a bit of a leash to keep him interested and actively participating in the relationship is not a bad thing. This is why I don't think INTP-INFP or INTP-INTP relationships are particularly a good idea, since the INTP will enjoy too much freedom and quite possibly lose interest. But hey, every combination is possible and plenty of INTP-INFP relationships that do work I guess.

As for knowing how an INTP is in love. You will have to talk him into it, propose the situation, ease him into it. INTP's don't fall in love, they slowly descent in love with climbing gear and safety helmets.

If you would, out of the blue, ask him if he loves you, without any prior intimicy, he is likely to respond no. But that doesn't mean he isn't capable of falling in love with you some time later.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It generally takes me a long time to develop any kind of serious romantic infatuation because getting to know the person fairly well is a major step. Once I begin to become enamored of someone, however, I can tend to dote on them when I'm around them, even if I don't really mean to. I respond to opportunities to hang out or see them much quicker than I do other people (with most people, sometimes I elect to stay home or leave early, rarely if ever with someone I like). I try not to contact them overly-often, though, because I become very concerned about coming off as over-bearing or suffocating, possibly to a slightly paranoid extent.

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dear andante,
I'm an INFP in love with a weird INTP. In some ways I find us very similar, the only difference being that I study Literature and he is into Physics, I'm aware of my feelings but he's so detached and confused that it pains me. We met on holidays and started travel-dating (yeah, that thing exists). We've been mailing each other for almost a year now but we have met only few times IRL. He has done everything in his power to make me go away. Literaly, he has tried every possible turn-off method. He even disappeared completely once and a common friend told me that he had hooked up with an old friend of his but that it wasn't serious. However, when he was dumped sortly after he re-appeared... He has made it clear that he wants no strings attached, he is very aloof and writes one mail every fifteen days. That's all the contact we have. When we meet though, it's an explosion of chemistry: sharing the same bed is great, communication is great, it all feels like the "real thing". But don't get fooled, it is NOT, at least not from his viewpoint.
I'd say INTPs are wonderful, honest people. I believe it's worth giving them a chance. They have amazing depth, brilliant minds and a great capacity for affection. They just prefer to lock themselves up and play the lonely drifters. My F/T is pretty balanced (most tests rank me as intp but I know I'm Fi dom) so I can understand them and in many ways I feel similar. I'm usually depressed, avoidant and alone. I'm not a happy-go-lucky person. But inside, I feel the need for a deeper connection with another human being, I believe in the value of love and intimacy. When I decide to let myself in the hands of love, after having made sure that the person is worthy of my feelings, I accept the risk of getting hurt and just hope for the best. INTPs don't do that. They are opportunists and they put their own emotional comfort and safety above all. They won't get out of their way to love you, even if they might be having strong feelings for you. They will choose convenience over feeling, logic over emotion. They'll never say "I love you" because they know they cannot accept this statement as true. If they don't know how to trust those feelings, they will fear and avoid them. They will shun you too, because you are the source of turbulence. It's a paradox how their "rational love" prevents them from making promises they cannot keep, mainly because they know they are selfish and that they will eventually hurt you, so they do not want you to get attached to them. And they usually do hurt you.... One day they may disappear, leaving no traces of blood behind. They will assume you'll be fine, you'll just move on and forget about them as they will easily forget about you. They have no guilt because they made no promise. But your heart will have been murdered.
So if you were unlucky enough to fall for one those guys, stop day-dreaming, brace yourself with patience and prepare for impact....
xx,
an INFP in love :wubbie:

PS I don't mean to sound so terribly pessimistic, in you case, not being LDR above all, it could work out

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I decide to let myself in the hands of love, after having made sure that the person is worthy of my feelings, I accept the risk of getting hurt and just hope for the best. INTPs don't do that. They are opportunists and they put their own emotional comfort and safety above all. They won't get out of their way to love you, even if they might be having strong feelings for you. They will choose convenience over feeling, logic over emotion. They'll never say "I love you" because they know they cannot accept this statement as true. If they don't know how to trust those feelings, they will fear and avoid them. They will shun you too, because you are the source of turbulence. It's a paradox how their "rational love" prevents them from making promises they cannot keep, mainly because they know they are selfish and that they will eventually hurt you, so they do not want you to get attached to them. And they usually do hurt you.... One day they may disappear, leaving no traces of blood behind. They will assume you'll be fine, you'll just move on and forget about them as they will easily forget about you. They have no guilt because they made no promise. But your heart will have been murdered.
The INFJ chick from the other thread needs to read this.
It's all true. Probably the best analysis of INTPs (not) in relationships I've read yet. Right up until the "heart murder" part. That's probably (classic NF) overkill.
Also, I wouldn't say we "easily forget" as a rule.
Other than that, full marks.

PS I don't mean to sound so terribly pessimistic, in you case, not being LDR above all, it could work out
This genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
True for her INTP, probably. But I have before, and can again if I want, completely include another person into my personal little comfort zone if I have feelings for that person. Granted, I would only be able to do that with one other person. I also know that INTP can feel a lot of heartbreak if they are so close to someone and lose them. :dry:

But it's true that it doesn't last as long as some other types. Reminders can still hurt for quite some time though.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
refers you to your own sig...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
True for her INTP, probably. But I have before, and can again if I want, completely include another person into my personal little comfort zone if I have feelings for that person. Granted, I would only be able to do that with one other person. I also know that INTP can feel a lot of heartbreak if they are so close to someone and lose them. :dry:

But it's true that it doesn't last as long as some other types. Reminders can still hurt for quite some time though.

I don't know. Reading that, sort of gave me the shifty eyes, and wonder who the hell let her in to our meetings. Because a lot of it rung true and makes up the majority of my... hesitance in relationships, not just romantic.

There are times where you feel entirely unworthy of love not because of a low self esteem or a self hatred of any kind, but simply because if I have to be honest with myself, I wonder if I can truly ever give someone what I think they deserve, if I will ever be able to just let go of that need to hoard time and space, that pristine safety of an isolated mind. So you think just running away and having them forget would just be easier for everyone involved, and that other person would be free to find someone who can give them what they need.

But then you sort of snap out of it and realize you just have to try anyways.

Might be different for you though! You 9s were always the meldy/merging wackos :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Might be different for you though! You 9s were always the meldy/merging wackos :)

Mhm, the problem with me is getting up to that point. There's only one person so far I've had that experience with and that was quite some time ago. Anyhow, with work being much slower the past few days I'm seriously considering putting myself out there again :dry: . It's been on my mind anyways. :p

As you know I've had a hard time with the family business and it required a lot of my attention for the past year, as seen by me dropping in and out of this forum. But the past week or so, and what is expected at least the next two months, will be very relaxing and easy going for me. Not to mention we're out of the financial rut now.

Think I'm up for some change...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Yeah, all I'm really seeing here is the difference between enneagram 5s and enneagram 9s...

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. Reading that, sort of gave me the shifty eyes, and wonder who the hell let her in to our meetings. Because a lot of it rung true and makes up the majority of my... hesitance in relationships, not just romantic.

There are times where you feel entirely unworthy of love not because of a low self esteem or a self hatred of any kind, but simply because if I have to be honest with myself, I wonder if I can truly ever give someone what I think they deserve, if I will ever be able to just let go of that need to hoard time and space, that pristine safety of an isolated mind. So you think just running away and having them forget would just be easier for everyone involved, and that other person would be free to find someone who can give them what they need.

But then you sort of snap out of it and realize you just have to try anyways.

I can identify with this as well especially the temptation to do the bold part. I hoard my time and space, my thoughts, and especially my emotional energy. I am also very intense and try to keep it shielded. I dislike showing it out of fear of rejection. I'm also afraid that it will obligate me to show it on a regular basis which is something I cannot do since exposing it makes it burn out very quickly and it is slow to be replaced. And yet, I deal with reoccurring bouts wanting to show that intensity, share it with someone.

[MENTION=14758]Vague[/MENTION] that was really good.

Last edited:

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he's in love with you when he says he's in love with you.

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION] Glad that an INTP finds my observations quite accurate. Yes, I would agree that you may not forget that easily. I know one other INTP who was deeply hurt after his gf left him for another guy. He got severely depressed and it took him two years to get over it completely. But after he was over it, he never looked back.

As for my "Shakesperean overkills", well, I can't help falling in love with words sometimes... :unsure: