• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Birthdays are irrational.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?

Yes, I completely agree.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dislike celebrating birthdays, and holidays in general, while I do hold that traditions are good for the soul, and grounding.

They are prone to materialism and self-centeredness.

I prefer, and enjoy, to celebrate seasonal celebrations or yearly traditions, like camping on certain days every year, picking berries as a family when they are ripe (at the same time every year), going to lakes, gathering for feasts, etc. I guess when it's about God, or the turnings of the earth cycles, I really dig celebrations. Not so much when it's about individuals or man-made events. Administrative Professionals Day? gimme a break.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Reasons:

What do you think?

I think that if you think that birthdays are irrational, then you should give me all your presents and birthday money next year so I can enjoy it instead.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that's why i have no expectations around my birthday. I like buying people presents its a favorite past time of mine I'll see something and Go OOOOH SO AND SO NEEDS THIS buy it and give it to them closest birthday or holiday. but I don't expect people to buy me things for my birthday.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
that's why i have no expectations around my birthday. I like buying people presents its a favorite past time of mine I'll see something and Go OOOOH SO AND SO NEEDS THIS buy it and give it to them closest birthday or holiday. but I don't expect people to buy me things for my birthday.

I damn sure expect people to buy me things for my b-day. Otherwise I'll call them a cheap bastard.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it your birthday, Ras?
No, my birthday was last month.
Since I've already received my gifts, it's a good time to change everything.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The observances that are truly irrational are all those "Hallmark holidays", occasions promoted by greeting card and gift companies to drum up business. These include everything from Valentine's Day and Mother's Day to St Patricks Day, Secretaries Day, Bosses Day, and on and on.

Actually, I think one's personal birthday is the better time to honor someone, whether for being a mother, grandparent, a good secretary, whatever. I often take my birthday off from work, and spend the day doing whatever I want. For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
No, my birthday was last month.
Since I've already received my gifts, it's a good time to change everything.

Well, if birthdays gifts are irrational, then so are Christmas gifts. What do you have to say about that?

My birthday = finals week, pretty much every year. Red Bull and tears are pretty much a given. If I'm very lucky and it's the last Friday of finals week though, I go out with friends, and that's nice.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if birthdays gifts are irrational, then so are Christmas gifts. What do you have to say about that?
Irrational as well. But if I were a kid, I would think of it as a human right.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
As far as I know, we only have one birthday.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The observances that are truly irrational are all those "Hallmark holidays", occasions promoted by greeting card and gift companies to drum up business. These include everything from Valentine's Day and Mother's Day to St Patricks Day, Secretaries Day, Bosses Day, and on and on.

Actually, I think one's personal birthday is the better time to honor someone, whether for being a mother, grandparent, a good secretary, whatever. I often take my birthday off from work, and spend the day doing whatever I want. For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.

Agreed.

I actually like birthdays and the idea that everybody has this one day that is about them, a 24 hour vacation where you can put yourself and your desires at the center for once. If you have a party, you give pleasure to all your guests as well and it is more of an excuse to meet up than about you.

As for gifts, I love giving to those I care about if I happen to come across something that is perfect for them (and I have a reputation as a good gifter). The value of the gift is less about the price you payed and more about the thought and effort that went into it, the more personal and individual the better. A good gift can be a demonstration of how well you know somebody. Reputation is a foreign concept to me in this regard.

By the way, mine is coming up in a few days...so if you want to win brownie points with a mod, you know what to do :D

F

figsfiggyfigs

I think all holidays where anyone is put in a position to feel obligated to express some sort of gratitude are bullshit.
Showing someone appreciation out of the desire to show them appreciation, and showing someone forced appreciation out of feeling obligated to do so are two different things.

For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.

You got my vote.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By the way, mine is coming up in a few days...so if you want to win brownie points with a mod, you know what to do :D
Aha. Got it. :burns:

On a serious note, you and Coriolis made good points.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Irrational as well. But if I were a kid, I would think of it as a human right.

Ah but think of the possibility of not having Christmas. If there were no Christmas, then there would be no "Black Friday". Oh and if we didn't have "Black Friday" then just think of what that would do to the economy. Black Friday gives a BIG BOOST to our "consumer based" economy every year. lol, you sir are a communist.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But it's just an arbritary excuse to celebrate and get cake, what's so irrational about that? :D

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As far as I know, we only have one birthday.
Which makes birthdays even more irrational. :einstein2:
Ah but think of the possibility of not having Christmas. If there were no Christmas, then there would be no "Black Friday". Oh and if we didn't have "Black Friday" then just think of what that would do to the economy. Black Friday gives a BIG BOOST to our "consumer based" economy every year. lol, you sir are a communist.
Funny thing is there's a certain member here that uses the same reasoning style to call other people liberals & capitalists. You will find out soon enough. :yesss:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Funny thing is there's a certain member here that uses the same reasoning style to call other people liberals & capitalists. You will find out soon enough. :yesss:

Well, we're an economy based on capitalism. If you don't like it then go to China, :D