• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Birthdays are irrational.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
From a sociological perspective, they usually aren't.
Was this rational?
aztecs40.gif

But I must admit, the thread title was meant to be ironic. Satisfied?

my INTP friend who has a PhD in Kantian philosophy would surely disagree with you, as would many lawyers who are Thinking types. A T type with no ethical development is just as imbalanced and immature as a Feeling type with no Thinking. But of course you're rejecting Fe in this moment.

The real problem is that you want a very particular kind of response from a singular Si perspective and you got alternative perspectives so you're irrationally pissy though its your own fault for having an imprecise title. Your question really is about purchasing expensive gifts, not birthdays. There's nothing "ironic" about that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you do realize after the age of 12 that people tend to stop caring about your birthday :huh:

A

Anew Leaf

I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?

I think this thread is irrational.

Edit: The fact that the concept of "imbalance" in gift giving is on here says a lot more about you and your values than the whole concept of birthdays to begin with. If you view friendship in terms of what you get versus what you give with a checkbook of deposits and transactions to see if things are "in balance", how unfun of a friendship is that.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:fpalm:

Should have put it in the nt private forum. I'm not seeing many valid arguments here.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
haight's an NT just pointing that out.

btw I love when NTs can't come up with a counter argument and start claiming the opposing side is irrational. dude just admit you might be wrong.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
you do realize after the age of 12 that people tend to stop caring about your birthday :huh:

that is a very cultural or individual presumption to make. My family has huge parties on all landmark birthdays (16 18 21 30 etc) and recognizes all birthdays. My Argentinian friends have big dinner parties on everyone's b-day, and even for the elderly grandparents invest in dinner and gifts.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that is a very cultural or individual presumption to make. My family has huge parties on all landmark birthdays (16 18 21 30 etc) and recognizes all birthdays. My Argentinian friends have big dinner parties on everyone's b-day, and even for the elderly grandparents invest in dinner and gifts.

jeefus. I'm not talking about close family or friends I'm talking about strangers.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No need to waste my time arguing.

i never guilt tripped you. I refuted the loopholes in your one track limited perspective. And now you're acting butthurt. Ur so rational! I still think its your tertiary Si that is acting up.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lol [MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]...as long as there are ntjs and entps u still wouldn't escape people challenging your Si and rejected Fe. There's no INTPs in Ti/Si loops private forum. As prpl pointed out, [MENTION=1]Haight[/MENTION] is an intj.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact, I will suggest a more efficient alternative: change the thread title to "cost benefit analysis specifically for peeps who associate birthdays with expensive gift exchange ( and don't u dare suggest that this could be eliminated entirely by simply stopping associating birthdays with compulsive capitalism)"

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol Rasofy...as long as there are ntjs and entps u still wouldn't escape people challenging your Si and rejected Fe. There's no INTPs in Ti/Si loops private forum. As prpl pointed out, Haight is an intj.
-I've already mentioned to you that the world irrational wasn't meant to be accurate (which Haight's point).
-The tendency to regard everything as a Dominant-tertiary loop is very annoying.
In fact, I will suggest a more efficient alternative: change the thread title to "cost benefit analysis specifically for peeps who associate birthdays with expensive gift exchange ( and don't u dare suggest that this could be eliminated entirely by simply stopping associating birthdays with compulsive capitalism)"
Too late, you IXFPs ruined it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
-I've already mentioned to you that the world irrational wasn't meant to be accurate (which Haight's point).
-The tendency to regard everything as a Dominant-tertiary loop is very annoying.

Too late, you IXFPs ruined it.

your rigid irrational singular association is Si that is being childish in the tertiary. Otherwise your Ne wouldn't be so comically non existent outside of your inaccurate thread title. You're so one track right now its fairly baffling to the point of negation any possibilities but your obsession with associating b-days with excessive spending you emotionally deem unfair. You're so blind to externals you just blame the ifps while glossing over the fact that an intj challenged you. Your arguments aren't even rational at this point. Incidentally perceiving functions are irrational. Like Si that you're wallowing in. "oh poor me someone pointed out that my personal association of capitalism with birthdays was challenged with the fact its merely a singular personal association and not the only factor in celebrating the broader concept of birthdays."

i also hope ur joking about us ruining ur thread, bc if ur srs u have disintegrated ironically to an emotional wreck whilst claiming non nts r being irrational for simply having a difference from ur own perspective.

Also ironic: saying we are this way for being ifps but getting annoyed when informed u seem to be in a ti/si loop.

Oh internet.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

I've never seen anybody keeping track of this factor of who gave more than whom. My dad was funny though. He would obsess over how much the gift cost you and try to trick you into telling him. I don't know what he did with the information, however; such as, comparing the cost to how much it cost him to buy your birthday present. Is this something they do in Brazil?

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

Again, is this cultural?

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

Buy off the internet, but don't waste a lot of time with it unless it's something you like to do. Surely you have some time to spare away from pr0n.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

That depends on the person. My wife never received a single birthday present from her ex the many years they were married, and now she is just used to the idea.

What do you think?

A birthday is a social convention that you can choose to practice or not. But most kids would be very upset over not making a birthday a special day. It is more rational than not, to conform with someone's feelings about matters which are objectively insignificant, such as birthdays.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was a kid I looked really forward to my birthday. I counted down the days. Then in my teens and 20's it was just another ordinary day. Once I hit 30, birthdays start to get depressing. You realize you're a whole year older and that much closer to your death. The birthday just draws attention to that fact.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh i like any reason to celebrate but i don't care about gifts and even less about gifts that are given out of expectation. i do like fun things tho...fun things to celebrate with friends for just any reason. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I actually like birthdays and the idea that everybody has this one day that is about them, a 24 hour vacation where you can put yourself and your desires at the center for once. If you have a party, you give pleasure to all your guests as well and it is more of an excuse to meet up than about you.

This!

I think each having a personal "holiday" for ourselves is a good way not just of marking time during the year, and of marking your own age (think of how much harder it would be to compute your exact age if your birthdate were of little importance), but also is good to have a time of personal grounding in terms of looking back on previous years and looking forward to the next one. It is a compartmentalization and division of your past, present, and future... the New Year is a similar concept, but that is a largely social/communal holiday, with the idea of personal improvement, while a birthday seems more reflective in nature. More about everyone celebrating for you instead of with you, and more about you looking forward to another year, instead of making changes for another year.

Plus, it seems socially useful for each person to have a special day on which they should be particularly recognized. It encourages us (in particular if you use Facebook) to attend to that singular person on that one day, and thus helps stabilize our social webs. It is not too much to be asked to remember someone once a year, but remembering someone once a year is enough to maintain loose ties. And if they are closer, it is an opportunity to demonstrate caring, compassion, and empathy towards them in particular. It's sort of like how you want to have a special date night every once in a while in a relationship - it spices things up and lets you devote extra energy to that one, not-very-often night... provides both variety and relief, so you don't have to work so hard to attend to them and your relationship the rest of the time.

And, at least for me, it is a lovely psychological departure from the middle of the cold, gray period between late winter and early spring.

From a sociological perspective, they usually aren't.
Was this rational?
aztecs40.gif

Actually, not to be a dick, but it was, since they believed that the heart was part of the sun and taking it out was returning it to its rightful place. Plus you were rewarded with a better afterlife if you died in an "honorable" way. And the common beliefs included needing to sacrifice to the gods to maintain good weather / fertility / lack of natural disasters / etc., so it does really make logical sense to do that, in those cases. As for the logic of those beliefs themselves... science is unfortunately trapped in its time... so I figure they were probably doing what seemed reasonable with the information they had...