• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Birthdays are irrational.

Forest Nymph

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jehovah Witnesses think so too. They give gifts and celebrate life on random days of the year. They don't celebrate major holidays because they don't believe in commercial culture, and I think the birthday thing has more to do with them rejecting selfishness or ego or whatever.

I don't think it's irrational to set aside one day a year where you're forced to be thankful you're alive and/or "treat yo self." Why is it irrational? In what context? I knew a man in his 80s who loved to tell you how old he was, he was proud of every year he had lived. Even if you're alone on your birthday it's still a day to be thankful you're alive, that's what I've always seen it as, and sometimes other people celebrate you too, which is just an added bonus that mostly occurs before the age of 22.

I used to have some FABULOUS birthdays as a kid up until I was thirteen or fourteen. Skating rink parties, pool parties, slumber parties. It was cool too when I was super little, when I was ....say 9 and under? My great-grandma was born on the same day as me with 70 odd years difference. I remember celebrating our birthday together really vividly when I was about 4.

A lot of what makes human life enjoyable and endurable doesn't fit into some neat Western definition of "rational."

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
As an Intp i can say alot of bullshit about traditions : non sense , fucking stupid , ect .... but actually i like when you watch the positive vibes which that bring , of course i'm not gonna actually saying it xD.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I generally don't really celebrate mine and I am not much for birthdays. I wouldn't say I dislike them though, I feel pretty neutral towards them.

Though at one point in my life I did say I disliked them. Was more of a kneejerk reaction though.

Maybe the only thing I never really liked are people who only ever come to other peoples birthdays and forget about them the rest of the year (without a good reason like living far away or something.)

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So? Having fun is rarely rational. We do it because it makes us happy.

I always celebrate my birthday even though I am “ too old.” I mean, I died at 19 so I especially greatful for every etra year I get.