• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Do you have foresight?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
are you amazed by the number of people that seem to lack it? or use it?

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, I do consider my ability to accurately predict the future to be "foresight."

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I believe I have good foresight and yes, I'm suprised by the number of people who appear to lack it. I can't predict everything that will happen in the future but what I do is anticipate future consequences of my present actions and where things might be headed based on the state of things now. I would guess Ni would be the best fit cognitive function for foresight.

I think the people who seem to lack the most foresight have weak Ni. Some of them are Se dominant types who live for the moment and don't think or care much about future implications.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. I find myself so focused on what is coming that I'm often blind to what is going on in the here and now. It was really bad when I was younger, less so now.
The only time when this really fails me is when my emotions are running high...I get too absorbed in how I feel to see clearly.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The amount of foresight I have is maximized by the amount of interest I have in a given phenomena.

If something is very important to me I do whatever planning/preparation/research/logistical maneuvering/ad-hoc configuration/etc. needed to achieve my objective.

I don't really see the need to try to guess the rest of my life though.

The best outcomes I've always achieved are those when I was completely present and focused in the moment.

If I'm out to get something, I'm out to get something, period. Otherwise I just chill out and enjoy my wonderful life.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
E6 and Ne help a bit but really my foresight is quite shitty, despite wishing otherwise. I am trying to train my little shadow Ni. =_=;

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have it in spades. Those without it from my experienced are pretty handicapped.

RottenMind

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
7w8
oh, my ability of foresight is sky-reaching. I can predict things- to what people eat this morning and stuffs..

Ingrid in grids

are you amazed by the number of people that seem to lack it? or use it?

Hm. Well judging by the number of people in this thread who feel they have good/strong foresight, perhaps it's not all that uncommon.

I suppose I experience foresight in two ways: one partly deductive and partly intuitive, and the other is much more uncanny. The latter seems to apply only to myself, and perhaps a few who are very close to me (who seem to all be women). The uncanny type is one that I'm still trying to understand. Looking back over the course of my life, there have been many times when I saw something happening to me at a future time. They range from seeing myself having a major depressive episode in 3-4 years time (which did indeed happen), to certain awards/competitions/etc. that I would win, to dreaming that I would fall off a horse the next day, only to find I did fall off the precise horse I imagined, in the same spot by the same jump I imagined, the same way I imagined. I wouldn't quite describe them as predictions. I think I've gotten to a point where I can acknowledge that this foresight is real, and not coincidence or fluke, but I can't (and perhaps never will) trust it.

When I have allowed myself to think more about all of this, I've wondered if it boils down to a chicken or the egg sort of deal. Is the foresight a glimpse down a rigid, unchanging chain of events, or is it my imagination, which directs my actions and has me emit some sort of energy which bends future events and results to what I, on some level, expect (much like the law of attraction)? All I know is that even if I see something negative occurring at some point in the future, I've generally held those expectations somewhere in the back of my mind, but on a more superficial level I've taken some preventative measures. Regardless, the underlying expectation usually remains the same, and it is almost always met.

I hope the above made sense. It's complicated and confusing for me, and I'm far from fully understanding it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The amount of foresight I have is maximized by the amount of interest I have in a given phenomena.

If something is very important to me I do whatever planning/preparation/research/logistical maneuvering/ad-hoc configuration/etc. needed to achieve my objective.

I don't really see the need to try to guess the rest of my life though.

The best outcomes I've always achieved are those when I was completely present and focused in the moment.

If I'm out to get something, I'm out to get something, period. Otherwise I just chill out and enjoy my wonderful life.

+1.

Except when I get creepy insights that seem almost paranormal. But that's not exactly all the time.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Before I even opened this thread I just knew everyone posting would have foresight.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Before I even opened this thread I just knew everyone posting would have foresight.

Yea. Some people live a lifelong self-deception. Bending their perceived reality so much that at the end of the day can say "I knew this would be happening."

I am a very abstract and "around the corner" thinker. I easily in my life am able to tell the logical pattern of a situation playing out combined with life experience. Cause people are dumb and predicting them isnt really magic. But saying I have foresight, no. Then I'ld gladly hand out my NT status.

Jaguar

crystal ball.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have it in spades. Those without it from my experienced are pretty handicapped.

Eh. I don't really think lack of it makes a huge impact on my quality of life, honestly. For the most part, I try to live by my internal morals and I let the world flow. I'm thinking for most NJs (SJs too, actually) that lacking foresight would be crippling, since it would make the sort of vision-pursuit and external manipulation (no "bad" connotation) that you guys engage in pretty difficult, but I think in general the P way of life isn't all that impacted by it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think any intelligent person can discern what is going to happen in the future. Most of the time this kind of stuff is implied and isn't that important to me, the future is the future. With the way I normally approach things I try to make the future a good place, and I'm setting up for it by default even if I don't think about it. And when I do, everything I do action-wise is leading to something good. It doesn't seem like that special of an ability to have to me.

That's just for events though. Those are pretty much implied. When it comes to people, I feel that I have a good grip on it because I'm always picking things up from everything that people do and can make an intelligent guess about what is likely to happen. I guess the same applies to other areas of my life too.