• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] differences between ENTP and ESTP?

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
am i the only one who feels that the two are often hard to tell apart?
generally i think i'm okay at guessing people's types, but a lot of the time i have a hard time deciding if i think someone's an estp or an entp. i think this is mostly because i don't know or interact with many SPs and i've always thought of entps as the NT equivalent if an SP, if that makes any sense.

i have a particular investment in this because the person i'm dating is either an entp or a very smart estp, and i can't decide which. i want to know, dammit. i mean, the obvious solution is to give him the test, but i kind of want to guess and see if i'm right. i also kind of feel like he wouldn't have the attention span for the entire 72-question test unless i'm sitting there making him take it.
so how can i tell them (estp and entp) apart?
any suggestions?

A

Anew Leaf

am i the only one who feels that the two are often hard to tell apart?
generally i think i'm okay at guessing people's types, but a lot of the time i have a hard time deciding if i think someone's an estp or an entp. i think this is mostly because i don't know or interact with many SPs and i've always thought of entps as the NT equivalent if an SP, if that makes any sense.

i have a particular investment in this because the person i'm dating is either an entp or a very smart estp, and i can't decide which. i want to know, dammit. i mean, the obvious solution is to give him the test, but i kind of want to guess and see if i'm right. i also kind of feel like he wouldn't have the attention span for the entire 72-question test unless i'm sitting there making him take it.
so how can i tell them (estp and entp) apart?
any suggestions?

I am confused as to the bold.

I have met quite a few STPs who could easily give their NTP counterparts a run for their money.

The best way to tell? Throw a ball at him when he least expects it. If he's an ESTP he will catch and perform a backflip. If he's an ENTP it will bounce off of his head and land in a pond where it will later be consumed by a duck who will die from it.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am confused as to the bold.

I have met quite a few STPs who could easily give their NTP counterparts a run for their money.

The best way to tell? Throw a ball at him when he least expects it. If he's an ESTP he will catch and perform a backflip. If he's an ENTP it will bounce off of his head and land in a pond where it will later be consumed by a duck who will die from it.

You monkey [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] :)...taking the other side :laugh:.

Hey, I understand, and in my teens I probably wouldn't have caught the ball, but now I would. And I'd at least think about throwing it back :laugh:.

As far as the intellect thing, hrmm :thinking: :ninja:

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
yeah, i also know smart SPs. i added the "very smart" because i wanted to emphasize that his focuses are academic, which (from what i've seen) people tend not to associate with SPs. but i probably just should have said focused on the academic. which is not the same thing as being smart. ahhh.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah, i also know smart SPs. i added the "very smart" because i wanted to emphasize that his focuses are academic, which (from what i've seen) people tend not to associate with SPs. but i probably just should have said focused on the academic. which is not the same thing as being smart. ahhh.

I know a smart ESTP. I get concerned (and slightly annoyed) around him because it would be the exception that my N wouldn't tell me he's up to something.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know a smart ESTP. I get concerned (and slightly annoyed) around him because it would be the exception that my N wouldn't tell me he's up to something.

everyone's up to something... that's why you've got to keep your eye on them :thelook:

otherwise, type doesn't indicate intelligence... you can be smart and be of ANY type (in fact, categorizing people into types is kind of unintellegent because there's a shit ton of variety in people that's completely overlooked by traditional typology... variety to the point where trying to characterize categories is pretty much rendered moot if you start talking to people... :laugh:)

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
(needless) bigger words.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, as demonstrated here, ESTPs tend to keep things more real :tongue: I've also found that they are more likely to naturally look at you while talking, and minimalize the "special" aspect of things and situations in favor of getting more at their overall reality. There is a distinct advantage here in seizing opportunities immediately, working directly with them, and actually getting the benefit themselves. But this is not to say they still can't be "weird" in other ways. But those ENTPs..... more crave weird, always searching for the loophole and the special exceptions, its unrealisticness is the bonus, as long as the potential is there and there is something to be started but not necessary to be finished or get direct benefit from.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, as demonstrated here, ESTPs tend to keep things more real :tongue: I've also found that they are more likely to naturally look at you while talking, and minimalize the "special" aspect of things and situations in favor of getting more at their overall reality. There is a distinct advantage here in seizing opportunities immediately, working directly with them, and actually getting the benefit themselves. But this is not to say they still can't be "weird" in other ways. But those ENTPs..... more crave weird, always searching for the loophole and the special exceptions, its unrealisticness is the bonus, as long as the potential is there and there is something to be started but not necessary to be finished or get direct benefit from.
That's a pretty good description!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't like a lot of ENTPs... the way to tell the difference is that the ENTP is more likely to manipulate you and maniacally laugh :D

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's a pretty good description!

Thanks :D I'm hoping it's a relatively unbiased account on the world that is the Se/Ne difference.

I don't like a lot of ENTPs... the way to tell the difference is that the ENTP is more likely to manipulate you and maniacally laugh :D

Only the last three words are relevant to the difference.

(Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha)

(hack..... cough)

haha.

plastic

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Trying to determine if I'm ENTP or ESTP, among others, but oh man... I won two games of Settlers of Catan last night. I destroyed everyone in the first game, and my evil, uncontrollable laughter was off the charts. I was forced to adopt a "sane person pretending to be insane" strategy because anything else I tried would have been a dead giveaway.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to determine if I'm ENTP or ESTP, among others, but oh man... I won two games of Settlers of Catan last night. I destroyed everyone in the first game, and my evil, uncontrollable laughter was off the charts. I was forced to adopt a "sane person pretending to be insane" strategy because anything else I tried would have been a dead giveaway.

similar to my poker strategy of smiling like a maniac the entire time to cover up for the fact that I have no fucking idea how to play poker.... it's sometimes effective :shock:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Very, very true. That's a pretty insightful description of differences. At first glance, ENTPs and ESTPs are hard to tell apart. It's only once I listen to their language that I'm able to tell the difference. The ESTPs I know love to appear laid-back and real. The ENTPs I know cannot control themselves when you venture upon an out-there topic they're interested in. Image seems to be much more important for ESTPs than ENTPs. While I think ESTPs really are cool/real/chill/down-to-earth, etc... they seem especially intent on portraying themselves in that manner. ENTPs may like to portray themselves in a certain way too, but if you approach that weird topic that they're interested in, they're entire ego vanishes. Think real cool/chill vs. utter enthusiasm.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was forced to adopt a "sane person pretending to be insane" strategy because anything else I tried would have been a dead giveaway.
Careful with that, son. When you go too deep into the character, the character also goes deep into you. I've been trying to warn people about it, without sucess.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I have this friend who types himself ENTP and I thought he might be ENFJ because he shows Fe (but after I got to know him I see how much he has Ti before Fe, and so I agreed with his self-typing)...but now I'm wondering if he's ESTP because he says things like "I'm not good with software, just fixing actual machines, things I can put my hands on and see" and he also seems to have the inferior Ni paranoia, saying things like "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that you aren't right!" just yesterday.

He seems too subdued to me to be an ESTP though...and this is NOT the guy who I've typed as ISTP who is an OBVIOUS Se type (including being an Se child)...this guy seems like he potentially could be an NT, from a distance.

Now I'm wondering if "my" ISTP is actually an ESTP, and then this guy who self-typed as ENTP is an ISTP...because if he leads with Ti it could make him seem more detached and NT-like. Also, he's about 30 so he's more balanced, of course.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Careful with that, son. When you go too deep into the character, the character also goes deep into you. I've been trying to warn people about it, without sucess.

You think that black guy is funny? Well this black guy is the king of the ghetto!