• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is it common for a woman to battle being typed as an NT?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is probably also useful to distinguish between feeling emotions and feeling in the sense of having feelings about things/people (or strong values). I can and do feel emotions, strong ones sometimes, but I seldom have strong attachments to ideas, values or people.

Cold Roses

To the op: judging from the way you speak and from my experience in the past, you strike me as a young intj female.

Hey now, I am not THAT young, but that would depend entirely on what your age, I suppose. I'm 26. I can't say that anyone has ever accused me of being emotionally or developmentally younger than my age, thankfully. I'm not even emotionally crippled! (Most of the time. *cough*).

I'm alright with having what society deems a more masculine personality. I don't think I need to view it through that lens. Ultimately, my personality is my own and I shouldn't place any judgments on that.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hey now, I am not THAT young, but that would depend entirely on what your age, I suppose. I'm 26. I can't say that anyone has ever accused me of being emotionally or developmentally younger than my age, thankfully. I'm not even emotionally crippled! (Most of the time. *cough*).

I'm alright with having what society deems a more masculine personality. I don't think I need to view it through that lens. Ultimately, my personality is my own and I shouldn't place any judgments on that.

I called you emotionally young because I want to find out how much you define your own emotions over what society tells you or some test called mbti on the internet. Being emotionally mature means nothing but being able to 'rest in yourself' and laugh about what a stupid psychology test tells you and to say: I know better. thats a very strong form of emotional stability and not necessarily the sole way to the truth, it tho helps developing self-conciencse and self-trust.

Many people on this forum spend 90% of their time analyzing types and trieing to fit in with some of the type descriptions. Very few people say: if type descriptions dont fit me, then its because every person is an individual and cant be fit into 16 type descriptions only. I want to point you into the right direction.

Cold Roses

I see what you are saying. It makes sense. Fact is: I am very confidant in my own way of being. It's the only way I know how to be, and I am not terribly mutable or impressionable. That isn't to say I don't grow and adapt. It would be a sad situation if that were true. I can admit to periodic turmoil under duress. It passes quickly. Very recently, a friend of mine died from an overdose and I am also about to begin a treatment for a serious health issue that will make me very ill in order to get better (more or less like chemotherapy, though it isn't). I think I can see how that has affected me in the short term.

You will, I hope, excuse my rankling at the notion of being emotionally unstable. I certainly was when I was younger and in the midst of my alcoholism. Even then, I knew who I was, I just often felt uncomfortable with it. While I still have brief flashes of that bad mojo, it is not my default mode now. I think learning about the way an INTJ uses their functions is helpful, but that doesn't make the general description all I am. You are correct on that point.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is probably also useful to distinguish between feeling emotions and feeling in the sense of having feelings about things/people (or strong values). I can and do feel emotions, strong ones sometimes, but I seldom have strong attachments to ideas, values or people.

I'm mostly the same way. There are a couple of values I hold dear and people who I would do almost anything for but in general I'm more detached about those sorts of things. On the other hand I can be quite emotional. Much of it is internal. People aren't always aware of how emotionally intense I can be. And you don't want to be around me when my inferior Fe erupts. Fortunately that's pretty seldom.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've kind of had xNTP as a second option for a while, but the stereotypes about being too emotional/being empathetic naturally equating to an F type kind of have held me back from completely settling on it, or leaning towards that typing, until more or less recently. Talking about my own emotions never really came naturally to me and is like pulling teeth, and I tend to waver on values. I can step outside of a situation, and see it for what it is, and have an inner framework. I go through periods where I barely feel anything, while there are emotions lurking beneath the surface, and picking things apart has always come more naturally than peopling. I don't view emotions as a bad thing, but the realm of emotions has been a weird area for me. I'm definitely not 100% a cold robot, but in some limbo. Being at least auxiliary F is at least somewhat of an option, but there are a lot of qualities I possess that seem very anti high F.

Those fe-ish qualities I do have can just be attributed to E9. Do I have certain sensitivities and deep-running emotions? It would be a blatant lie to deny it, but everyone has T as well as F functions, it's more which one manifests more and stress, anxiety and other circumstances in life may make it blurry. I also take a more or less neutral stance on things. Life/society may force females to be higher F or higher on the scale of agreeability. People who know me well can see the potential for an NT type.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
It wouldn't bother me. I've gotten INTx and ENTP from others before.

It's because I'm an asshole with intellect.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know in my Ni that I am a bloody INTJ. I formally tested out as one a decade ago. I have that look, you know? THAT one. I say, "I think" far more than "I feel" and that is just the way it is.

For three days I thought more or less out loud about this whole MBTI thing and tried to convince myself that I was an INFJ because it seemed 'friendlier'. That's sort of erroneous, anyway. Maybe there are some INTJs that are stone cold logicians that don't give a fig about anything, but that could be true for any type. I was feeding on the propaganda.

I also took this black and white stance on the whole feeling aspect where I decided that if I possessed any strong ethics or values and a more tolerant view of humanity then that must mean I am an F. That's a weird leap. Besides, Fe and Fi are different and INTJs have Fi as a tertiary function, after all. I think I'm doing alright with my Fi, so maybe that colors things.

I'm not the emotional genius I want to be, and it is pointless trying to fool myself. I know that INTJ is and was correct. I'm done mulling it.

But my question is: Have any of my fellow female NTs had the same sort of warped reaction to their type? Or am I just all disjointed? (The latter could be true, a friend died of an overdose just a week ago and I am dealing with a heavy health thing that endlessly irritates me because it messes with my equilibrium)
I felt the same way.
I resisted much longer than you did! Hahaha!
For 3 months, I agonized over my type, really wanting to be an INFJ.
In the end, I compared the negative traits of INTJ vs INFJ and the negative traits of the INTJ were definitely me.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I think the problem lies in the misconception that thinking types can't have strong feelings. I can see how having strong feelings and being female can lead one to think that she's a feeling type. Thinking types aren't any less likely to experience feelings (even strong ones) than feeling types. The only distinction between the two is that thinking types have a stronger tendency to repress/suppress their emotional side in favour of what's rational and logical, whereas feeling types tend to make judgements and decisions based on feelings. In fact, the more you try to repress an instinct the more it will come back in full force.

This reminds me of the french movie Un Coeur En Hiver (A heart in winter). The lead character represses his emotional side to the point where he doesn't think it exists but it's clear that he's still very much affected by it. It's a movie worth watching.

Last edited:

rav3n

Feelings functions aren't emotions oriented. They're values oriented decision makers, whether internal or external values. This is likely what's messing people up when they're attempting to type themselves.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
A co-worker recently made an astute observation. She said, "I think about my feelings."
I had to laugh because I do the same thing! I am not naturally in touch with my feelings,
so I have to think about my feelings and ask myself what am I feeling and why, etc.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A co-worker recently made an astute observation. She said, "I think about my feelings."
I had to laugh because I do the same thing! I am not naturally in touch with my feelings,
so I have to think about my feelings and ask myself what am I feeling and why, etc.
Same here, though I rarely bother to ask the question, and when I do, it is hard to get a coherent answer, like trying to identify a specific person in a very blurry photograph.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
What you're describing is sentimentality. Do you mean that thinking types don't have that?

rav3n

As far as women battling an NT typing, as a generality, I haven't noticed this. More common would be 'F' females and especially males, mistyping themselves as NTs.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seen more cases of men battling an NF typing than women with NT.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it would lean more towards doubting than actively battling against being NT because of the reasons [MENTION=39788]nerdy anthropoid[/MENTION] said

Tengri

I have seen more cases of men battling an NF typing than women with NT.
I agree. For reasons I'm not privileged to understand more completely, this plight of misaligned thinking styles versus sex is slightly different for men.
For the sake of comparison (though different context), this is similar to gender dismorphia: 1) culturally accepted gender roles and behavior are mismatched, and 2) typical hormone systems related to styles of thinking and behavior (serotonin, testosterone = thinking, intuition/dopamine, estrogen = feeling, creativity) are misaligned with sex. The women I have known that lead with extroverted thinking, for instance, are quickly labeled in contrary terms by their peers for their brusque, decisiveness, but over time warm up to them once they realize more lies beneath the surface, so to speak. Similarly, men whose behavior is misaligned with traditional concepts of masculinity have blended social status, mispronounced as either gender through labeling. These male and female archetypes however, as solid as they seem, erode quickly when their distinctive separateness is only determined by physiology, and made ubiquitous (and irrelevant) when those gender roles are fractured and performed by both in equal terms. But for the sake of argument and in the context of gendered behavior, men historically own testosterone-driven thinking and reinforce it within institutionalized masculinity as ideology: where individuals that measure up short in this competition are demoted to effemininity. With women though, rational or logical thinking does not make a woman any less of a feminine woman, to parse words.