• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Are INTP's really the least sociable archetype?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
By my reckoning, Fe can be used for terminating social interaction. If the other party makes them feel bad, they tell them off.

I figure INTJ to be the least sociable, because the opposite of that is ESFP, who is less discriminate due to judgement's secondary position.

The problem with this by the same logic, an INTJ also has a judgement function in the second position.

But if we use the same gate the that says the INTP is least sociable because of a weak/lacking socializing function, the INTJ again trumps the INTP.

There's also the consideration that INTP doesn't bother to push away anyone because of Ne's flexion, without the personal bias of a feeling judgement. Essentially, he doesn't care. It's lucky for the INTP that they can easily detach from the situation, so in a frustration, rather than shoo them away like an ENTP or an ESFJ, they simply 'go away' for a little while, while they figure a way to

As I see it, INTP can be plenty social. I've seen INTJs deliberately send people away so they didn't have to socialize.

It's that P digit that makes being around people easier for them. Flowing extraverted perception, reigned by impersonal Thinking.

I'd say what's more likely is that other people would rather avoid the INTP because the socializing might be a bit boring.

I feel like I'm leaving something out here, but...

eh, it's a little bit to chew on.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think we can be very sociable around certain people and not as sociable around others. And we don't have endless reserves of energy to try to get along with everyone. So we tend to stick to the ones we relate to easily. I know that sometimes I know I don't click with someone, so don't bother cultivating a relationship. It's nothing personal inside my head, b/c I'm thinking our incompatibility is equally obvious to the other person. Obviously, I've hurt people's feelings this way, not really intending to.

Another thing is that I really don't need to be around people that much. I mean, there are people I love and like to hang out with, and sometimes I feel very sociable. But I don't think I need people as much as those around me do. I'm perfectly happy, at least for a while, to just hang out on my computer or do some other solitary activity and be entertained by my thoughts and imagination.

A third point is that most INTPs would rather die a slow, agonizing death than have to listen to a half-hour of someone talking about how the price of diapers went up, or how Judy's thinking about retiling her kitchen. That could also lead to people thinking we're unsociable.

martin87

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think we are pretty sociable around people who are very social themselves and ask us questions. Most of the time I'm not the one starting conversation, but when someone else gets the wheel rolling I can easily hang on by giving long detailed answers to the other persons questions. If that person is interested in the subject they ask even more questions.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
The way I understand things is......

If Ti is a person's strongest, his weakest is the polar opposite, which is Fe. I don't think the two are interrelated at all.

That is....

Ti
Ne
Si
Fe

I think the Si and Fe inclusion are just derivatives of the Ti and Ne. Kinda like, well, since this asset A is the strongest, then the weak counterpart would be its inverse, by logic.

Anyway, in cognitive processes tests, my Fe is the weakest, so I assume that it explains the Fe being the inferior function of the INTP--that it is the weakest. Honestly, I don't know how to systematically assign the placing of the other cognitive processes (Te, Se, Fi, and Ni), though I've read in some articles that the shadow processes are supposed to be below the upper 4.

It's good that you call it the inverse. Then, continue that, a function that would be even more difficult would be one in the Other tandem pair. So, Ti people struggle with Fe, but they will still have a tendency to use it and be very proud of success with it.
So, NTJs struggle view Fe much more negatively than NTPs. That's where the 'talking without seeming to care if others are listening' attribute of Te comes from.
On the other hand, my INTP chemistry teacher made sure to compliment or encourage students during study sessions.
That 'I have no social skills, so why try' behavior of the guy in beautiful mind is something that you might see with an INTJ under stress

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTPc?

Hahahahaha, I couldn't help myself it was too easy.

I'll think of a serious answer to the OP question later.

The funny thing is, a lot of them are probably NTJs or _FPs.

By the way, Vicky Jo's husband sez that internet forum talk is mostly a Te-Fi event, and I believe that.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I don't know wether this is the appropriate place but I am so delighted that I want to share this. I've just attended a congress and can truefully say that I have had sociable interaction with most of the participants. Those who know MBTI, and with whom I discussed it, were shocked to learn I am INTP. My great dream of becoming one of the notorious INTP chameleons is closer than ever.

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
Actually, I think Ti and Fe usually work together in a conscious mind. Fi doesn't work with either, however. Understanding how people work would be a function of Ti and Fe. Ti is focused on the nature of how people (and other systems) they work, Fe is focused implementing this to produce positive affect. Both would understand some of the same things, but would have different values and emphasis on how they should be used.

Fi understands the nature of values and desires themselves, and sees how they work together. Te focuses on practical ways of acheiving and creating an example of what those values and desires mean in tangible terms.

That, to me, is why you always see Te with Fi, and Fe with Ti, never the other way around. Pushing one inwards results in the other going outwards.

INTP's aren't really the least socible, they're just the least popular. Meaning that people don't think of them as "cool" usually. That doesn't mean they don't have any friends, or that they can't get anyone to like them if they try. It just means they're not as interested in trying to be liked by the majority of people, although they may focus their limited emotional energy on a few special ones.

Does that make sense?

Yes, we intp's just GIVE UP!!! We stop trying!!! It doesn't matter that we might be cute, in shape, well-educated, nope...I see 4000 lb women on television with husbands and a family...and I think...wow...am I cursed? I guess so...then I curl up with a tasty new physics book and think...would I really want to be stuck with that guy and brood? But i wouldn't marry an idiot like that and wasn't a little monster, my kids would be darlings...Well anyway...I'll never know...:wubbie:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've recently been trying to do something crazy: Use 1.Ne<--Fe 2.Ti to get shit done rather than TiNe. It actually worked quite well for me recently. I need to keep doing this, or at least experiment more.

I also need to work on the whole laughing when other people are angry/crying thing.

EDIT: I can also agree with what Patricia said, however, I know I have ridiculously high standards. I could go out there and bag some nasty-ass chick, and while it may do wonders for my self-esteem, it's not truly what I want or need in my life.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I attempt to isolate myself. Events scare me and I don't like to talk to people, especially ones I don't know. I fit that description pretty well. I think it depends on variants of each of the functions to see how this works...

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The best thing you can say to him is "you know, I like you! Lets hang out some time!". He hates people who walk around in circles and force him to guess what these people are actually thinking. When INTP falls in love, it's usually deep and involves a lot of thinking about the person he has fallen in love with. He can even be so in love that it would disturb his everyday activities.

This is fucking true.

+10000000000000000.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I don't know wether this is the appropriate place but I am so delighted that I want to share this. I've just attended a congress and can truefully say that I have had sociable interaction with most of the participants. Those who know MBTI, and with whom I discussed it, were shocked to learn I am INTP. My great dream of becoming one of the notorious INTP chameleons is closer than ever.

I've never heard of this term "Chameleon INTP" before. But judging from the context it's an INTP who has mastered the art of socializing and blends in with people around him? If this is correct, then let me ask you. Do you do this conscientiously, and do you think about and analyse your social interaction as your doing it?

I know I'm constantly being aware my surroundings in social situations. When I talk to someone I always look for clues as to what the person might be thinking and I typically analyse what I'm going to say before I do this.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hrm. What was that one Woody Allen movie where the main character is so scared of being hated his appearance physically changes with those around him?

He's probably a chameleon INTP. :D

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm definitely chameleon INTP then.

Me = adaptable to situations, even social ones. Though eventually my INTP nature will show up eventually. There's not a friend I haven't at least once pissed of with abominably difficult discussions about the strangest subjects.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can be a chameleon INTP when I want to.

The thing is I don't always want to be -that- conflict avoidant. It would be silly to be a chameleon INTP all the time.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I know an INTJ who makes me seem like an ESFP.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
The thing i notice about myself that i always have done ever since i can remember is i would take a noticeable trait from someone and copy it unintentionally. Its a way for me to create a common ground for me and said person. In a way i think thats chameleon like, but instead of changing my personality completely, i take some of theirs and incorporate it to my own.

I really don't have a problem socializing with people. Actually its not that hard, probably the most difficult part is after the initial general questions of getting to know someone (name, interest, where from, etc)...it comes to interest or wheather i think a friendship is worth persuing, if not a simple greeting when i see said person again, follow by small talk and it usually ends there, if we were only in neutral ground.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I've never been cameleon. I personally frown upon people who become cameleons intentionally.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Well its not cause HES unsociable, it because hes too smart and everyone else is too stupid. Hes just too awsome to hang out with them.

Clearly the root cause of the INTx's unsociability.