• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Common INTJ Issues

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ALL of the INxx types, however, whether judging or perceiving or thinking or feeling are characteristically thoughtful people who love knowledge and generally seek to expand their understanding of everything. They all tend to live inside their heads, and think about things not just because it's fun, but because they practically cannot help but do so.
This is a point that is often overlooked in the tendency to compare knowledge for its own sake (INTP) with knowledge for application (INTJ). Each type in our own way, we simply do this, because it is how we approach the world.

Nicodemus

I wonder if insomnia is a common problem among INTJs. I suffer from insomnia often, and it's because I can't turn my brain off when I'm trying to sleep. It just goes a mile a minute, replaying the events and conversations of the day, pondering what might happen the next day, or sometimes even just random song lyrics or quotes from movies. It's ridiculous. I wish I could tell my brain to shut up.
It has been years since I last tried to sleep without something playing in the background, films, audiobooks, ASMR videos. It keeps me from running the mental marathon. It used to rob me of hours of sleep when I was younger.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm pretty much the same way and I used to just assume everyone was like that. But apparently there are people who conk out when their head hits the pillow. I can't comprehend that. :shock:

My ENFJ does this, I have no idea how. I have to read and I need some kind of white background noise plus a fan. It's the only way I can sleep. I still have insomnia from time to time but it is better than it use to be.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just out of curiosity, would you INTJs say you agree with this? (from this page):

...the INTP has a definite thirst for universal, underlying knowledge. Unlike the INTJ who seeks to understand their environment in order to get a foothold on it, the INTP seeks to understand the principles behind the environment in order to get a foothold on their understanding of it. The INTJ seeks knowledge as a means to an end, being whatever goal they’ve decided they need to accomplish in the outside world, while the INTP seeks knowledge for its own sake, so that they can better understand the theoretical principles running the universe. In this way the INTJ is more materialistic while the INTP is more metaphysical. The INTJ wants to grasp an idea in their hands and use it as a tool, to substantiate it or manifest it in reality, while the INTP doesn’t care as much if this happens, seeing as reality is a world of appearances, and they are interested in the underlying truths behind it. INTPs search for dispassionate knowledge, separate from emotional baggage or unessential appearances. This is why the INTP is perceived as very ponderous, because they often are. They prefer the thinking over the actual doing, and they may even struggle with sticking with a project long enough for it to fully mature in reality, due to the thirst of their Ne for more and more possibilities over complete ones.​

Well when it comes to me and my INTJ friend, he is the more theoretical and further away from reality when it comes to stuff like physics, while i can better evaluate for example how much force some material can take before breaking(however i have been working with various metals and other materials more), but its true that i do the evaluation by "looking" inside the material and judging the underlying principles of it, pretty much from what i can see to the atomic structure if needed. While im like constantly interested on everything thats going on around me and "studying" it, INTJ only pays attention when he feels like it. Im not saying which one of us is better at grasping theoretical parts of physics, but the INTJ is definitely more interested on that sort of stuff compared to real world physics, or "materialistic" stuff. Also he is the one who is scrolling reddit for more meaningless knowledge(as in stuff like science news that has no real world application to him) many hours a day, but i on the other hand might pick up a subject and then study it throughout for hours, days or sometimes even weeks, just because..

So its kinda true, but the reality is more complex than just that.

Bnova

MBTI Type
IXTX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
is the reality we see as intjs abit too far out of reach? then it makes us look stupid or crazy then i just recognize people as really being narrow minded...

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
is the reality we see as intjs abit too far out of reach? then it makes us look stupid or crazy then i just recognize people as really being narrow minded...

This is fairly close to the truth. The way we INTJs look at things (how everything connects together) is what often makes us look not only stupid or crazy but often really smart, because the way we look at things is why some otherwise extremely complex problems are very intuitively easy for us to solve. But it isn't that INTJs are "smarter" or "crazier" than other types, so much as we cognitively look at things in an unusually rare sort of way.

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Common INTJ issue: You're not an INTJ.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More often it is simply out of the reach of people who don't realize we can actually get there.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't pursue knowledge for it's own sake. I pursue it if it's interesting.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Common INTJ issue: they're not INTPs.

ImNoBozo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESPECIALLY THE UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS they have of others and of themselves. Holy shit. Have fun living alone.

I would also add:

INTJs can pass judgements on someone really fast and think their judgement is right.

As an ENFP, I have given the benefit of the doubt a few times to people (even to a few INTJs I initially dismissed as sketchy or assholes) and I'm glad I gave them the benefit of the doubt, they turned out to be good people and good friends. It would be nice to see some INTJs using the benefit of the doubt on people and not pass judgements so fast on someone.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an ENFP, I have given the benefit of the doubt a few times to people (even to a few INTJs I initially dismissed as sketchy or assholes) and I'm glad I gave them the benefit of the doubt, they turned out to be good people and good friends. It would be nice to see some INTJs using the benefit of the doubt on people and not pass judgements so fast on someone.
I learned long ago that my first impressions of people are often wrong, so I withhold judgment until I have a chance to get to know them better. I have made some good friends this way.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJs are one of my favorite types. I both love and envy you mysterious creatures.

Hapyniss

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
It has been years since I last tried to sleep without something playing in the background, films, audiobooks, ASMR videos. It keeps me from running the mental marathon. It used to rob me of hours of sleep when I was younger.

Tactile stimulation decreases this mental marathon. I had a ENTJ ex that was notorious for being up until his eyes were blood-shot. I would give him a hand and neck massage and he'd conk out pretty fast.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This applies to INFJs as well, but has anyone ever seen "The Wall"?

That would about sum it up.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
A lot of issues that INTJs have relate to Ni taking an overly dominant role in their personality. Some examples of this:

Don't listen to other perspectives - At times, the INTJ can quickly dismiss things that others might say and have a tendency to come across like they think they are always right. Even if they do listen, they may not come across like they are. The explanation for much of this is that the INTJ can use Te to cut off new information rather than the more productive use of Te, which is to judge their insights against the external world.

Overly critical - INTJs are prone to finding fault in things and situations to an excessive degree. They can tend to blame others for things that go wrong or apply judgement towards others rather than themselves.

Don't know know how they come across to others - INTJs, especially when young can be pretty oblivious as to how they come across to other people.

Unrealistic expectations - INTJs can have excessive expectations of others as well as themselves. Nobody measures up.

Hard time communicating - They can have difficulty communicating what is in their mind to others. Sometimes, they are vague and cannot easily express the reasons for the way they thing.

Occasional indecision - Though this is not usually a problem, at times the INTJ can be overwhelmed by all of the different pieces of information, scenarios and sides of an issue making it difficult to reach a decision.

Edit: So, a lot of this is standard INTJ profile stuff. Do you agree with this? Do you see other issues? The thread is targeted at both INTJs and non-INTJs to comment on.

I'm sure the non-INTJs should have plenty to say.

1. Bad a judging character of others and understanding even how they work themselves.
2. Great at big picture universal conceptual principles.
3. Good at useful logical actions.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Bad a judging character of others and understanding even how they work themselves.

I have made mistakes on this in the past where I have trusted people and found them to be unreliable, unethical, backstabbing or in some other way not worthy of that trust. It has caused me to be much more wary and skeptical over the years.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These are totally INTJ [emoji106]🏻

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
I have made mistakes on this in the past where I have trusted people and found them to be unreliable, unethical, backstabbing or in some other way not worthy of that trust. It has caused me to be much more wary and skeptical over the years.

Be wary and skeptical on both ends. You can misjudge the positive as well as the negative intentions of people. An INTJ will tend to subscribe to generalizing ALL human behavior, creating a top down human, this is also a fallacy.