• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] IxTP and ExTP see a new watch......

themarlins

IxTP wants to know how it works. What's inside? How was it made? How exactly does that dial mechanism work?

ExTP wonders how it can be improved or changed. Man, this watch would look cool on me. How can I use it for personal gain? Can I sell it or use it as a bargaining chip? [entp]hmmm, the possibilities are endless. Will people even buy watches 10 years from now since everyone has a smartphone in their pocket?[/entp]

MBTI Type
ISTP
Funny, I was just looking at a picture of a watch about a day ago and thinking about how it works...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Q01G9709

I think the ExTP in this scenario tends to assume the IxTP is not also able to consider the same possibilities. The endless possibilities also tend to be mostly dead-ends. In the example of the watches, ExTP would think the watch will look cool on them, but you don't understand the concept of novelty and that it'll wear off while considering practical values of the watch would not. You could sell it, but chances are whoever is selling it has a much more efficient cost margin and you'll probably lose money. Also, the ExTP tend to overestimate their own intelligence vs everyone elses and is proportionately inaccurate... their grandiose ideas also tend to be dead-ends that can be discounted easily enough: we've had cell phones for over a decade, and yet people still chose to wear a watch, therefore we can know with relative real-world certainty that watches are still chosen as the effective method of time-telling.

These are things that I tend to consider and forget in a matter of seconds so I can move on to the more interesting things like the inner workings of a thing, the principles of operation it functions on which have practical applications elsewhere.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by a power obtainable at any point of the universe. This idea is not novel. Men have been led to it long ago by instinct or reason; it has been expressed in many ways, and in many places, in the history of old and new. We find it in the delightful myth of Antheus, who derives power from the earth; we find it among the subtle speculations of one of your splendid mathematicians and in many hints and statements of thinkers of the present time. Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic — and this we know it is, for certain — then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature. - Nikola Tesla

LOL watches got me thinking about the wheelwork of nature...

KDude

Watches were never my thing. They're uncomfortable and I don't care what time it is anyways. I sort of think Si and Ni types are attracted more to time, rhythm, purposefulness... I can demonstrate that, when and if the moment presents itself, but it's unnecessary to keep track of. As for how watches work, I've taken them apart, but never put them back together. Come to think of it, I don't have an interest when there's too many small pieces that need to be arranged delicately. I have a few things like this, and never end up fixing them.