• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is it possible to change attuide/mindset?

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Is it possible to change someone's view or mindset?

In my eyes everything I think is "right" but it's very cynical. I have horrible views in the world and I can't see myself changing no matter what anyone says.

I just don't get why people don't see what I see, from my experience and how people are it's pretty obivious what their action is.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

In my eyes everything I think is "right" but it's very cynical. I have horrible views in the world and I can't see myself changing no matter what anyone says.

I just don't get why people don't see what I see, from my experience and how people are it's pretty obivious what their action is.

Because if this. How would anyone else be able to see what you see or have the exact same experience you have? You are the only person who can change your attitude. It won't happen when you make friends, find a girlfriend..get over your depression..etc. From reading your other post, your issues are just like driving in a circle. You don't want to change so you will just continue bitching, getting defensive, continue the same behavior.....repeat.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The change has to come from personal realization, other people can help you realize something, but they cant make the change in you

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP

Of course it is. It happens all the time, after all. When it comes to the most cherished beliefs, though, it's significantly more difficult to knock them out of someone.

Lark

I think optimism and pessimism are meant to be set, like your happiness baseline or hardwired into the brain. If that's the same as what's being discussed.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Not easily but yes.

Depends on receptive the other is to change and how good your persuasive skills are.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Almost anything about your attitudes can be changed, given a sufficient reason for change. Trauma can cause this to happen.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Because if this. How would anyone else be able to see what you see or have the exact same experience you have? You are the only person who can change your attitude. It won't happen when you make friends, find a girlfriend..get over your depression..etc. From reading your other post, your issues are just like driving in a circle. You don't want to change so you will just continue bitching, getting defensive, continue the same behavior.....repeat.

My mind is going on cycle.. going around and around. It's not that I don't want to change, I just think I can't change.

The change has to come from personal realization, other people can help you realize something, but they cant make the change in you

I do realize my "flaws" but I don't think I can change.

I think optimism and pessimism are meant to be set, like your happiness baseline or hardwired into the brain. If that's the same as what's being discussed.

This is exactly what I meant. Just like personality type I think attuide is hardwired, how I view things can't be changed. I will always be pessimistic and negative all the time. So if I believe it can't be changed why even try? I don't see the point of keep going and trying to get "help" anymore. This is what I am and it doesn't matter if I like it or not.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some reason it doesn't occur to everyone that externalities have a lot to do with how they are functioning mentaly. You can get yourself in better place, or at the very least a new place by changing your environment, by adding more experience, by providing yourself with things that you need: sleep, food, companionship, etc. Sometimes, it's beneficial just to do *anything* to overcome your inertia and stop treading the same path.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
This is exactly what I meant. Just like personality type I think attuide is hardwired, how I view things can't be changed. I will always be pessimistic and negative all the time. So if I believe it can't be changed why even try? I don't see the point of keep going and trying to get "help" anymore. This is what I am and it doesn't matter if I like it or not.

What evidence is there that 'type' is hardwired? why would pessimism/optimism be? Why would the functions of the most maliable organ in the universe (that we know of) be set in stone? It makes no logical or evolutionalry sense to me.
And why would you choose to believe it? Because it ratifies your preconceptions of what is possible?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Attitude isn't hardwired, just like personality, no matter the type can grow, the less dominant functions can be improved. It would be one thing if you had actually attempted to make changes and get help but you haven't. You just make these threads.

xisnotx

Permabanned
People don't see the world you see because the world you see isn't the same world that I see. And really, why should it be? That would make the world a whole lot more boring, and the way I see it, the world doesn't really need help in that area.

Lark

Its hard wired yeah but its also like eye colour, height, weight, there's ways of changing those in some ways, like contact lenses, built up shoes, diet, perhaps its not a complete change but its still a change.

Also even if your personality is fixed you can learn ways of coping with that without complete transformation, insight is valuable but its not sufficient to say, this is me, its how I am. It needs to go as far as appreciating how this disadvantages or advantages you etc.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Its hard wired yeah but its also like eye colour, height, weight, there's ways of changing those in some ways, like contact lenses, built up shoes, diet, perhaps its not a complete change but its still a change.

Also even if your personality is fixed you can learn ways of coping with that without complete transformation, insight is valuable but its not sufficient to say, this is me, its how I am. It needs to go as far as appreciating how this disadvantages or advantages you etc.

Show me the evidence and I'll believe it.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's very difficult for one to come out of a particular pattern of thinking. We grow so accustomed, we may think a particular type of thought on a daily basis and it becomes so ingrained in our philosophy it's basically like going through the motions, and some types of information are harder for us to metabolize. It all depends on life experiences, philosophy, how someone got to point A to point B in their thought proceses. It most likely won't happen overnight and without introspections, people are not aware of the slow, gradual process.

Then we wake up one day and realize the change, and it takes some backtracking to figure out where or when it happened. If it was a traumatic even that brought about the change, people may bury it in their subconscious and repress that event because they simply don't want to remember. But if someone trains their mind slowly, and gradually it is possible. Or a major event, either major or positive can potentially change someone's worldview or way of thinking.