• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Christian NTs

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
:wink:

"κατήργηκέναι τὰ τοῦ νηπίου..." is taken from the famous:

"ὅτε ἥμην νήπιος, ἐλάλουν ὡς νήπιος, ἐφρόνουν ὡς νήπιος, ἐλογιζόμην ὡς νήπιος· ὅτε γέγονα ἀνήρ, κατήργηκα τὰ τοῦ νηπίου"

which the NIV renders "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."

Not exactly a translation I think very good, but you get the idea.

While I disagree with the point you made in the other post, that was a pretty clever way to use the passage.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'd be curious as to the rationalization of a spirtual NT to be honest. A type characterized by the rational worldview they impose upon the world seems, on the surface, at odds with belief in a being that doesn't make itself present empirically. When I was younger, I certainly "hung on" to the thought of a deity as I began distancing myself from an upbringing that included relgion but ultimately I simply had to cast it aside if I was being honest with myself.

I've always wondered, is it a fear of chaos? A need for the Universe, Life, and Everything to have been designed, to have a purpose? Or something else? Not condemning or judging. Just curious.

Lark

I'd be curious as to the rationalization of a spirtual NT to be honest. A type characterized by the rational worldview they impose upon the world seems, on the surface, at odds with belief in a being that doesn't make itself present empirically. When I was younger, I certainly "hung on" to the thought of a deity as I began distancing myself from an upbringing that included relgion but ultimately I simply had to cast it aside if I was being honest with myself.

I've always wondered, is it a fear of chaos? A need for the Universe, Life, and Everything to have been designed, to have a purpose? Or something else? Not condemning or judging. Just curious.

Its because the beliefs are eminently rational, now, I'm not going to cite you chapter and verse of ALL the MANY sources out there which support and indicate this point of view, I believe if you were interested rather than stating your own contrary view we'd not be having this discussion, you'd be reading the sources instead.

The reality, what you describe as rationalisation, is that the belief IS rational, now you dont consider that to be the case, you consider the belief to be irrational, which I would consider a rationalisation, that's were the logger heads and impasse is.

You're not condemning or judging but you're repeating the implication, again, that all deist or theist ideas are based upon fear of chaos or purposelessness, that's an atheist conceit.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Its because the beliefs are eminently rational, now, I'm not going to cite you chapter and verse of ALL the MANY sources out there which support and indicate this point of view, I believe if you were interested rather than stating your own contrary view we'd not be having this discussion, you'd be reading the sources instead.

The reality, what you describe as rationalisation, is that the belief IS rational, now you dont consider that to be the case, you consider the belief to be irrational, which I would consider a rationalisation, that's were the logger heads and impasse is.

You're not condemning or judging but you're repeating the implication, again, that all deist or theist ideas are based upon fear of chaos or purposelessness, that's an atheist conceit.

My word choice at the end of my post certainly does imply that and I should have taken the time to avoid such language...however I don't see the belief as being eminently rational, and while I don't need to be cited chapter and verse, simply the line of reasoning or one link would suffice. I guess it all comes down to first principles. I suppose I'd ask, what problems does God's existence satisfy that a naturalistic worldview could not also satisfy, and satisfy more simply.

G

Ginkgo

I guess it all comes down to first principles. I suppose I'd ask, what problems does God's existence satisfy that a naturalistic worldview could not also satisfy, and satisfy more simply.

Those who believe in a just universe tend to be happier. It provides a sense of security. Don'tcha think?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catholic. I was raised by wolves and Jesuits, so not much choice there.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess it all comes down to first principles. I suppose I'd ask, what problems does God's existence satisfy that a naturalistic worldview could not also satisfy, and satisfy more simply.

The theist doesn't necessarily need to engage in an explanatory approach. She could, say, give a deductive argument instead.

Lark

My word choice at the end of my post certainly does imply that and I should have taken the time to avoid such language...however I don't see the belief as being eminently rational, and while I don't need to be cited chapter and verse, simply the line of reasoning or one link would suffice. I guess it all comes down to first principles. I suppose I'd ask, what problems does God's existence satisfy that a naturalistic worldview could not also satisfy, and satisfy more simply.

Put very simply any God whose existence could be proven in a way which would satisfy atheists would be no God.

Now there's a possibility that you could be interested in Paul Tillich's Courge To Be hypothesis that in the wake of existential doubts and the "death of God" believers and non-believers need to move beyond the previous conceptions which cant be God because they ARE projections of the human mind and imagination. Although I doubt it.

I know you dont believe its rational because you've "reasoned" yourself to that point, its become a belief and you're interested in finding evidence to support that rather than raise new doubts, doubts like those which caused you to abandon deist or theist views in the first place. There's no insult in stating that observation, I dont believe its based on courage or realism though as you do, that is merely flattering the atheist perspective, which if it is correct it shouldnt need anyway.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"The rational worldview they impose upon the world"? This suggests that the world is not itself inherently rational. Much that can be observed empirically is rational, though, and follows principles that we can understand and use to predict future events. There is also the realm of chaos, events that at least so far have not yielded to such analysis. I do not understand chaos theory well enough myself to know the extent of its useful predictive ability, or whether it is mostly human wishful thinking.

Though we will never prove the existence (or nonexistence) of God, that doesn't mean there is no evidence. At least my personal spirituality is informed by experiences and observations, not just fears and imaginings. Granted, this evidence is pointing to something non-corporeal, but I accept other intangibles on limited evidence as well, usually because it is practical and useful to do so. Even established scientific theories are never really proven. We just accept them and use them until they are shown to be false or we find data they cannot account for. We think there was a big bang, and that species evolve through natural selection, not because we witnessed the actual events, but because these concepts explain the phenomena we are able to witness directly. Scientists continue to refine both theories as we learn more.

I do not mean by this to suggest that some day, we will be able to provide a material, physical explanation of everything attributed by believers to "God". Over the course of human history, we certainly have replaced many supernatural explanations with natural ones, and we probably will continue to do so. I believe, though, that there will always be more to the universe, and to existence, than the material aspects that can be explained through scientific analysis. But this, too, is a matter of belief.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
An inventor who doesnt believe in his invention, is no inventor. If a scientist would only go by the facts he knows, progress would be slow or non-existant cause leaps in thinking made possible by him believing in them being right, wouldnt occur.

So I see no reason why a NT wouldnt be a believer. I just dont see a reason why it must be called God.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An inventor who doesnt believe in his invention, is no inventor. If a scientist would only go by the facts he knows, progress would be slow or non-existant cause leaps in thinking made possible by him believing in them being right, wouldnt occur.

So I see no reason why a NT wouldnt be a believer. I just dont see a reason why it must be called God.
It's not that it must be called "God", it's simply that many people do so. I agree with your overall statement, but the thought processes you describe in your first paragraph are much more related to N: intuition, and the confidence one develops in its perceptions.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's not that it must be called "God", it's simply that many people do so. I agree with your overall statement, but the thought processes you describe in your first paragraph are much more related to N: intuition, and the confidence one develops in its perceptions.

And how is confidence in your perception different from belief ? I mean for an ethical and morale guidance I dont need to necessarily stick to religion, there are a lot of books who talk about it as well.

Lark

See to be honest, I see the athiests and religion haters losing their heads on this forum more often than the religious, plus they desperately troll the religious population none stop, in a relentless fashion which would kill them if it were reversed and I see "what is the point?" and despairing threads by the atheists were I dont see that by the religious either.

So I dont see much in that belief system which jumps out as recommending itself, either seems to make you that way or perhaps you adopt it because you were that way to begin with, in any case it doesnt seem like a way to a better life.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
See to be honest, I see the athiests and religion haters losing their heads on this forum more often than the religious, plus they desperately troll the religious population none stop, in a relentless fashion which would kill them if it were reversed and I see "what is the point?" and despairing threads by the atheists were I dont see that by the religious either.

So I dont see much in that belief system which jumps out as recommending itself, either seems to make you that way or perhaps you adopt it because you were that way to begin with, in any case it doesnt seem like a way to a better life.

The same you most prolly will hear from a heroine abuser.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is actually why I find evangelizing atheists more annoying than evangelizing religious people... because the evangelizing religious people I've met don't try to argue with you as relentlessly. They don't cite Richard Dawkins at you nonstop. :dont:
The same you most prolly will hear from a heroine abuser.
?????

A

Anew Leaf

This is actually why I find evangelizing atheists more annoying than evangelizing religious people... because the evangelizing religious people I've met don't try to argue with you as relentlessly. They don't cite Richard Dawkins at you nonstop. :dont:

?????

I concur with both of you. I am tired of these stupid religion threads were inevitably at the core there is some super T-dom who thinks that they and they alone have the logical answer and anyone who disagrees with them must be some irrational feeler who wouldn't know logic if it took them to dinner and a movie.

It's all a very personal choice and I feel to each their own so long as everyone leaves each other alone.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's all a very personal choice and I feel to each their own so long as everyone leaves each other alone.

I have a different opinion on this. As long as people wage wars because they have different "personal choices" in religion, I feel its my democratic right to tell them that they are stupid.

A

Anew Leaf

I have a different opinion on this. As long as people wage wars because they have different "personal choices" in religion, I feel its my democratic right to tell them that they are stupid.

If you wish to tell those who are waging the wars that they are stupid, by all means go for it. But don't lump everyone in together under a blanket clause of "well, you have spiritual beliefs so therefore you are the same as those nutjobs therefore you are stupid for having beliefs."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you wish to tell those who are waging the wars that they are stupid, by all means go for it. But don't lump everyone in together under a blanket clause of "well, you have spiritual beliefs so therefore you are the same as those nutjobs therefore you are stupid for having beliefs."

I never do that, but I know that in America religion has a strong grasp on politics and society, while in my country for example it has virtually no influence. Due to that being so I have to weave the blanket over everything to encounter for the dynamic of the situation.

I personally and that I have stated often, am a big fan of the morale and ethics religion shows and wish for more people in society to share that wisdom. I just dont believe in a God or an afterlife. And I think and I am not alone with that that the american church has become as fundamental as its enemies its opposing and I am just having a careful eye on that and hope it wont play out bad for you. Cause I like you and am not your enemy.