• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs in Classrooms

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
For those NT's in high-school and college, what do you do in classrooms? Do you zone out and doodle on your paper or do you pay attention and participate? Do you find the front row to sit in or the back? Are you quiet or loud in class? Do you debate with the teacher and students; listen and make a succinct point; or agree with the class consensus?

I find that I participate the most in classes that are challenging. Whenever a class is easy, I find it boring, and stay very quiet. But in the classes that have debates and discussion, especially in regards to philosophical or theoretical subjects, I love to discuss and explore ideas. After all, I paid to be there, and I am using my time, so I might as well learn something interesting. There are some classes that I will be like a ghost, but others where I can't shut up, probably to the annoyance of others. I think I learn best when actively engaging rather than doing nothing.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhGCZs7a_s&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

pv255

I sit towards the front and off to a side. I am very quite, and I write a bunch. Typically I write about something that pertains to the class, but not all the time. I get a lot of blank stares when I participate.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
ironic. i have one of those. :)
*coincidental

Not really sure. I think I pay attention, because I do well on tests and I don't really study much. Also, I ask many questions, so I guess I do.

Actually, I think I pay attention if it's something I'm interested in. Otherwise no.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been out of school awhile, but I remember if things got boring, I would work on homework, for that class or even for another. In French class, the teacher would dictate sentences in English for us to translate for homework. I could usually write them down directly in French, and then my homework would be done! If the class was a challenge, though, I would pay close attention and be sure to ask questions if I had any.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Argue with the prof.

Thank god for ENTJ profs (and ENFJs) or I'd be dead with all those Fi bastards taking things personally.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For those NT's in high-school and college, what do you do in classrooms? Do you zone out and doodle on your paper or do you pay attention and participate? Do you find the front row to sit in or the back? Are you quiet or loud in class? Do you debate with the teacher and students; listen and make a succinct point; or agree with the class consensus?

I find that I participate the most in classes that are challenging. Whenever a class is easy, I find it boring, and stay very quiet. But in the classes that have debates and discussion, especially in regards to philosophical or theoretical subjects, I love to discuss and explore ideas. After all, I paid to be there, and I am using my time, so I might as well learn something interesting. There are some classes that I will be like a ghost, but others where I can't shut up, probably to the annoyance of others. I think I learn best when actively engaging rather than doing nothing.

Unless the material was of real interest to me, I tended to zone out alot in class. I learned best by reading and studying on my own. I was mostly quiet but not afraid to ask questions as needed.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I sat in front, usually. I don't really get the "I was bored because the class was too easy, blahblahblah." I always found there was something to be learned in every class--if you are engaged and wanting to learn, you find a way to learn. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking the right questions. A lot of the time, a teacher will gauge the lecture according to the level of the class. You can get a lot more out of a class from genuine interest than you can smartassery.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Front with eyes glaring interestedly on the prof or on the information presented. Posing a question at every idea present. There aren't many interested folks in my school so it often ends up with me and the prof talking exclusively.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This's me after I got mocked in class again:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0"].[/YOUTUBE]

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'll zone out. Usually write something about anything. Usually turns out to be at least partially related to what everyone is talking about.

Unless the class is particularly interesting...then I'll speak up and ask questions, and challenge points.

I'm the guy that won't say anything the whole semester except for one or two days in which I'll just decide to participate.

I like to "beat thought" in philosophy classes...that is, I come up with the likely questions students will ask (mostly because I have the same questions) but I'll try to formulate the answers myself. When that question gets asked (or point gets made), I can then progress the discussion to thought I find more interesting personally. I always have the sense that philosophy teachers know that's what I'm doing though, and they seem to have ways of curbing this lol.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In college, I didn't really go to class unless I had a good reason to. I prefer learning on my own. To be fair, though, I wasn't the greatest student grade-wise. When I did go to class I was engaged as much as possible. I was never one of those tools who corrected the prof or anything, but I enjoyed class discussions and would usually contribute.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I definitely like to participate. I have things to say and want to say them! I tend to zone out if I don't participate - either because I'm bored and daydreaming, or because I've got sidetracked by something the lecturer said and now I'm turning it over in my head while they plough right on. I was much better in the classroom than in lectures. I still daydreamed, but the passive listening was broken up by activity, which suited me better. I need to take notes, or I don't remember things. Just having a handout to read is a great way to make me zone.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I definitely like to participate. I have things to say and want to say them! I tend to zone out if I don't participate - either because I'm bored and daydreaming, or because I've got sidetracked by something the lecturer said and now I'm turning it over in my head while they plough right on. I was much better in the classroom than in lectures. I still daydreamed, but the passive listening was broken up by activity, which suited me better. I need to take notes, or I don't remember things. Just having a handout to read is a great way to make me zone.

You basically described what I do in class, 99.99999999% of ze time.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I usually listen and take notes. I am taking a film class where they won't let me have my computer out when watching the film, and it's too bad because if I don't take notes, I usually end up drifting off into space. There are times when I daydream but I put a lot of emphasis on good grades. So I do take a lot of it in, it depends on how interested I am in the class. I try to participate as much as possible.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to sit in back, but now I am a front sitter. I doodle while paying attention. Take notes etc. Procrastinated a lot, but was good at cramming.