• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why INTJs -can- be more intellectual than INTPs

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, it's not.

It's a logical certainty.

You shouldn't be condescending when you don't know what you're talking about.

You want logic cetainty

IF all men are mortal and socrates is a man THEN
socrates=mortal;
ELSE
socrates=immortal;
END IF

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, it's not.

It's a logical truism.

It has nothing to do with probability.

You shouldn't be condescending when you don't know what you're talking about.

now that its changed to Truism
Truism - A truism is a claim that is so obvious or self-evident as to be hardly worth mentioning...sorry I had to mention it ;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You want logic cetainty

IF all men are mortal and socrates is a man THEN
socrates=mortal;
ELSE
socrates=immortal;
END IF

now that its changed to Truism
Truism - A truism is a claim that is so obvious or self-evident as to be hardly worth mentioning...sorry I had to mention it ;)

None of this matters, and adding a wink at the end doesn't make it any smarter.

Congratulations on writing a few lines of code and pasting a definition of truism from the dictionary.

It has nothing to do with probability, and your definition of deduction was actually just a form of induction and/or abduction.

Once again, the smartest thing you've written in this whole thread was above:

Intellectual - intelligence = lots of thought + no sense

Unfortunately you don't understand how aptly it applies to you.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
None of this matters, and adding a wink at the end doesn't make it any smarter.

Congratulations on writing a few lines of code and pasting a definition of truism from the dictionary.

It has nothing to do with probability, and your definition of deduction was actually just a form of induction and/or abduction.

Once again, the smartest thing you've written in this whole thread was above:

Unfortunately you don't understand how aptly it applies to you.

Actually...those definitions were copy and pasted from a google search. You werent arguing with me, I was just a proxy :) I have no clue what the definitions of any of this crap. The smartest things I said were directly from me ;) LOL

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Actually...those definitions were copy and pasted from a google search. You werent arguing with me, I was just a proxy :) I have no clue what the definitions of any of this crap is.

Well, then the google search was wrong.

And I'd recommend knowing what you're talking about before pasting erroneous information.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

And I'd recommend knowing what you're talking about before pasting erroneous information.

I used wiki which is the same source you used for inductive reasoning.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I didn't read the third definition and just skimmed over the post. That doesn't make this thread any more insightful. *sigh*

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Deductive arguments are attempts to show that a conclusion necessarily follows from a set of premises or hypotheses. A deductive argument is valid if the conclusion does follow necessarily from the premises, i.e., the conclusion must be true provided that the premises are true.

If your premise is screwed up your deduction is wrong....but you know what your "deductive reasoning is sound"

Yeah, I didn't read the third definition and just skimmed over the post. That doesn't make this thread any more insightful. *sigh*

Comon' you shoulda corrected me awhile back :doh:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If your premise is screwed up your deduction is wrong....but you know what your "deductive reasoning is sound"

This is actually wrong as well.

A deductive argument is sound when the conclusions follow from the premises, and the premises are true.

A deductive argument is valid when the conclusions follow from the premises, but the premises may be true or untrue.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is actually wrong as well.

A deductive argument is sound when the conclusions follow from the premises, and the premises are true.

A deductive argument is valid when the conclusions follow from the premises, but the premises may be true or untrue.

That would actually be an argument of definitions...whats sound and valid to me is different then you have used...not about whats right or wrong, but how I percieve things.

edit: just one of those things where I have my own definition of "sound".

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
That would actually be an argument of definitions...whats sound and valid to me is different then you have used...not about whats right or wrong, but how I percieve things.

That's fine.

I'm just telling you the actual definitions.

You can go to any logician or philosophy class or book around the entire world, and this is how these terms are (properly) used.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's fine.

I'm just telling you the actual definitions.

You can go to any logician or philosophy class or book around the entire world, and this is how these terms are used.

Cool, I wont remember them. I am so strong on deductive reasoning or what ever reasoning, I dont feel like going back and figuring it out that definitions dont mean a whole lot to me. I generally start with a concept and or theory not a definition.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Cool, I wont remember them. I am so strong on deductive reasoning and that path that definitions dont mean a whole lot to me. I generally start with a concept and or theory not a definition.

Usually it's the Ti doms who are in need of starting off by agreeing on the definitions, not the TJs.

Definitions are a type of axiom (i.e., premise). They are often concepts in themselves, but they can also lead to more complex concepts and theories, which are more complex types of axioms. In order to perform deductive reasoning, you must first agree on the axioms.

I wonder if this is a difference between ISTPs and INTPs. Si is also a stickler for definitions, and seeing as how ISTPs use SeNi as opposed to the INTPs' NeSi, and that Ni is the function often most resistant to definitions (as its more inductive form of reasoning likes to move towards the axioms, as opposed to deductive reasoning which likes to start with axioms, and then move away from them), perhaps you guys don't work quite the same way. I could see this explaining why I don't think you guys are very good at talking about concepts, and why you guys tend to prefer very hands-on kinda stuff. The "definition", in this sense, would be the object right in front of you (SeNi), and you guys know how to work with that "definition" just fine. Never should ask you to explain it, though. :p

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually it's the Ti doms who are in need of the definitions, no the TJs.

In order to perform deductive reasoning, you must agree on the axioms.

Definitions are axioms. They are often concepts in themselves, but they can also lead to more complex concepts and theories, which are more complex forms of axioms.

They are shortened versions of axioms, I generally build definitions on the fly, based on context from the other person, and use them as the other person uses them. Its part of understanding someone at there level of definitions.

edit: we are as smart as the smartest and as dumb as the dumbest...we dont hold judgement in that way. Its all about understanding.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually it's the Ti doms who are in need of starting off by agreeing on the definitions, not the TJs.

Definitions are a type of axiom (i.e., premise). They are often concepts in themselves, but they can also lead to more complex concepts and theories, which are more complex types of axioms. In order to perform deductive reasoning, you must first agree on the axioms.

I wonder if this is a difference between ISTPs and INTPs. Si is also a stickler for definitions, and seeing as how ISTPs use SeNi as opposed to the INTPs' NeSi, and that Ni is the function often most resistant to definitions (as its more inductive form of reasoning likes to move towards the axioms, as opposed to deductive reasoning which likes to start with axioms, and then move away from them), perhaps you guys don't work quite the same way. I could see this explaining why I don't think you guys are very good with concepts, and why you guys tend to prefer very hands-on kinda stuff.

LOL, we are as good with concepts as you are with feelings ;) LMAO...tertiary function for the win

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Nicodemus

I think it is possible to construe abductive arguments as a deductive arguments from usually unnamed and often unconscious premises. If not so construed, I find it hard to regard abductive reasoning as having anything to do with logic. It really is just guessing.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In logic, three kinds of logical reasoning can be distinguished: deduction, induction and abduction. Given a precondition, a conclusion, and a rule that the precondition implies the conclusion, they can be explained in the following way:

Deduction means determining the conclusion. It is using the rule and its precondition to make a conclusion. Example: "When it rains, the grass gets wet. It rained. Therefore, the grass is wet." Mathematicians are commonly associated with this style of reasoning.

Induction means determining the rule. It is learning the rule after numerous examples of the conclusion following the precondition. Example: "The grass has been wet every time it has rained. Therefore, when it rains, the grass gets wet." Scientists are commonly associated with this style of reasoning.

Abduction means determining the precondition. It is using the conclusion and the rule to support that the precondition could explain the conclusion. Example: "When it rains, the grass gets wet. The grass is wet, therefore, it may have rained." Diagnosticians and detectives are commonly associated with this style of reasoning.