• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] truth = logic

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
truth = logic

it's as simple as that

logic + intuition => a leap in logic (which brought us most of what we have today)

Numbers and statistics make more sense to me than morals, religion and everything similar.

And there's math in everything we see today.

Life is nothing but a string of probabilities, and their effect of that makes us who we are.

It's a very simplistic generalization with which I am very comfortable with, so I accept it 100%.

tumblr_ljjtzhCGDW1qf0yue.jpg

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting post...even though the considerations do not lead to the conclusion. :alttongue:

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
truth = logic

it's as simple as that

logic + intuition => a leap in logic (which brought us most of what we have today)

Numbers and statistics make more sense to me than morals, religion and everything similar.

And there's math in everything we see today.

Life is nothing but a string of probabilities, and their effect of that makes us who we are.

It's a very simplistic generalization with which I am very comfortable with, so I accept it 100%.

I don't want to be a dick, but I sincerely cannot tell if this post is a joke or not. It would work as an ironic critique of atheists who are just atheists because they jump on the atheist bandwagon: an illogical argument for logic. Especially since it ends with the "beautiful" picture, and how you said "makes us who we are".

I'm really not trying to be rude here (even if I am); I'm not mad or anything, and I'm serious when I say I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I just wanted to point out that it's not a terribly logical post. Doesn't make you a worse person or anything.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Truth does not equal logic. As my Chinese father would say (vaguely) 'you are pointing to the moon and confusing your finger with the rock orbiting the Earth'. Logic is part of truth and logic is a means in which we can find the truth, but it is not the truth itself. You are gonna find yourself in a very confusing predicament if you can't even understand that.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Truth does not equal logic. However, I think that most truths can be discerned with logic once you understand it all. Understanding is key. I like your sunflower picture. It brightened my night.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Feelings are just as true as logic

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Truth is fidelity to reality. Logic is how we arrive at truth.

Feelings are just as true as logic

Well I feel very strongly that you are mistaken, and since feelings are true, you must therefore be mistaken.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Truth is fidelity to reality. Logic is how we arrive at truth.

Well I feel very strongly that you are mistaken, and since feelings are true, you must therefore be mistaken.

Its true that you feel that im mistaken ;)

A

Anew Leaf

It's threads like these that make me thank god I am an f. But for the grace of all that is holy I may have slipped a notch and become a slave to Ti. :ohmy:

I, like the nazgûl, would ride my trusty steed draped in black and travel here and far for T'eye.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
logic + intuition => a leap in logic faith(which brought us most of what we have todaypeople who dont really know what they are doing, but trust what the little people in there heads tell them)

fixed :D

edit: logic + logic or logic squared would be a leap in logic

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Logic is the systematic study of the principles of correct reasoning and valid inference. One will use logic in many facets, such as in philosophy, science, linguistics and mathematics. The investigation that logic undertakes is of approximate knowledge in the natural world. Some philosophers may classify logic as a sub-division of epistemology for this very reason, while others think of logic as a scientific study of argumentation. But to consider the premises in a logical argument as necessarily true, they need to have some relation to "reality," as far as we know it to exist. So, other systems, like science and philosophy and so on, could give the facts for the premise to be considered true. If there's no facts or evidence to support the premise, then the argument is built on faulty grounds.

This is why I think logic is not truth in and of itself. But that isn't to say that logic is not a necessary process to find approximations of our reality. Also, I guess, depending on how one defines "truth," an emotion to X would be considered real, even if X is not real.

(Woo, I have 69 posts. **types seductively**)

EDIT: I forgot to put "principles" in this post. I don't want to muddle the definition.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Logic is the systematic study of correct reasoning and valid inference. One will use logic in many facets, such as in philosophy, science, linguistics and mathematics. The investigation that logic undertakes is of approximate knowledge in the natural world. Some philosophers may classify logic as a sub-division of epistemology for this very reason, while others think of logic as a scientific study of argumentation. But to consider the premises in a logical argument as necessarily true, they need to have some relation to "reality," as far as we know it to exist. So, other systems, like science and philosophy and so on, could give the facts for the premise to be considered true. If there's no facts or evidence to support the premise, then the argument is built on faulty grounds.

This is why I think logic is not truth in and of itself. But that isn't to say that logic is not necessary to find approximations of our reality.

Logic is not an action. Logic cannot undertake anything, it is static. Logic itself is a definition and can be likened to a algorithm. Use or path of logic does not define logic, except in a round about way. Also logic has nothing to with truth or whats true. Those are defined by terms like "logical".

When someone asks me the logic of something I tell them the "exact" logic...then we work out how to "make" the logic true to what we want done(programming). Now when logic is out of our control...as in life...you cant manipulate logic, just the inputs/outputs as we have no way to change how the world actually works, we can just play with the logic and understand it as best we can.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Logic is not an action. Logic cannot undertake anything, it is static. Logic itself is a definition and can be likened to a algorithm. Use or path of logic does not define logic, except in a round about way.

When I used the term, "systematic," I am speaking of the process of using the system of logic to find approximations of our reality. I am not saying that logic is an action. There's a difference between the definition of logic and how people use "logic" to achieve a certain result. Most definitions of symbolic logic use the word "systematic" as describing the reasoning according to those fixed principles within the system.

Also logic has nothing to with truth or whats true. Those are defined by terms like "logical".

Define "truth" and I may or may not agree.

"Logic" is, under many definitions, a system of principles, in which one applies correct inference and valid reasoning.

To arrive at some plausible reality, we need these traits. To be "logical" is to be in accordance with "logic."

When someone asks me the logic of something I tell them the "exact" logic...then we work out how to "make" the logic true to what we want done(programming). Now when logic is out of our control...as in life...you cant manipulate logic, just the inputs/outputs as we have no way to change how the world actually works, we can just play with the logic and understand it as best we can.

I agree. One shouldn't manipulate logic. That would be illogical. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Logic" is, under many definitions, a system of principles, in which one applies correct inference and valid reasoning.

This is where I disagree...the correstness or logic does not make it any more "logic" then logic that is not correct. More is being added to the term logic then is applicable...I am referring to the way its used in real life.

Other: whats the logic
Me: If A='l" then do xyz
Other: thats not right

if I wanted to "probe" it would go like this...
Me: whats not right
Other: the logic

which inferes that whether it is right or wrong its still logic.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is where I disagree...the correstness or logic does not make it any more "logic" then logic that is not correct.

This is why I said that Logic is not the truth in and of itself.

The premises that support the conclusion need to relate to actual evidence, context and facts to be considered sound.

To give an example:

All humans are mortal. (Premise)
Samuel L. Jackson is a human. (Premise)
Therefore, Samuel L. Jackson is mortal. (Conclusion)

There are of course assumptions in the premises, like Samuel L. Jackson being a human, humans being mortal, and so on, which are confirmed outside of the argument, through observation and experiment and measurement (of people dying and of Jackson having the characteristics to be a human), which support the validity of the premises.

Other: whats the logic
Me: If A='l" then do xyz
Other: thats not right

if I wanted to "probe" it would go like this...
Me: whats not right
Other: the logic

which inferes that whether it is right or wrong its still logic.

Yes.

If the premises are false, then the conclusion is in error. But:

I think I understand what you mean by arriving at the wrong conclusion from false premises that are logical.

To quickly borrow from Wiki, because I like this example:

"If the streets are wet, it has rained recently. (premise)
The streets are wet. (premise)
Therefore it has rained recently. (conclusion)

This argument is logically valid, but quite demonstrably wrong, because its first premise is false - one could hose down the streets, the local river could have flooded, etc. A simple logical analysis will not reveal the error in this argument, since that analysis must accept the truth of the argument's premises. For this reason, an argument based on false premises can be much more difficult to refute, or even discuss, than one featuring a normal logical error, as the truth of its premises must be established to the satisfaction of all parties.

Another feature of an argument based on false premises that can bedevil critics, is that its conclusion can in fact be true. Consider the above example again. It may well be that it has recently rained, and that the streets are wet. This of course does nothing to prove the first premise, but can make its claims more difficult to refute. This underlies the basic epistemological problem of establishing causal relationships."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I said that Logic is not the truth in and of itself.

The premises that support the conclusion need to relate to actual evidence, context and facts to be considered valid.

To give an example:

All humans are mortal. (Premise)
Samuel L. Jackson is a human. (Premise)
Therefore, Samuel L. Jackson is mortal. (Conclusion)

There are of course assumptions in the premises, like Samuel L. Jackson being a human, humans being mortal, and so on, which are confirmed outside of the argument, through observation and experiment and measurement (of people dying and of Jackson having the characteristics to be a human), which support the validity of the premises.

Yes.

If the premises are false, then the conclusion is in error.

I think I understand what you mean by arriving at the wrong conclusion from false premises that are logical.

To quickly borrow from Wiki, because I like this example:

"If the streets are wet, it has rained recently. (premise)
The streets are wet. (premise)
Therefore it has rained recently. (conclusion)

This argument is logically valid, but quite demonstrably wrong, because its first premise is false - one could hose down the streets, the local river could have flooded, etc. A simple logical analysis will not reveal the error in this argument, since that analysis must accept the truth of the argument's premises. For this reason, an argument based on false premises can be much more difficult to refute, or even discuss, than one featuring a normal logical error, as the truth of its premises must be established to the satisfaction of all parties.

Another feature of an argument based on false premises that can bedevil critics, is that its conclusion can in fact be true. Consider the above example again. It may well be that it has recently rained, and that the streets are wet. This of course does nothing to prove the first premise, but can make its claims more difficult to refute. This underlies the basic epistemological problem of establishing causal relationships."

But I would even clasify as
the ground is wet because its sunny as logic.

sounds illogical...what if you walked outside and you saw the wet ground and the sun and put 2 and 2 together? Its still logic, just not correct. The thought is I dont know why 2 and 2 fit together, but it does. If this strange combination happened enough we could just call it statistics.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But I would even clasify as
the ground is wet because its sunny as logic.

sounds illogical...what if you walked outside and you saw the wet ground and the sun and put 2 and 2 together? Its still logic, just not correct. The thought is I dont know why 2 and 2 fit together, but it does. If this strange combination happened enough we could just call it statistics.

I agree. That's why I gave that example.

It's what's classified as "False premise, true conclusion" or "False premise."

Examples:

http://academic.csuohio.edu/polen/LC9_Help/1/14ftv.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_premise

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree. That's why I gave that example.

It's what's classified as "False premise, true conclusion" or "False premise."

Examples:

http://academic.csuohio.edu/polen/LC9_Help/1/14ftv.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_premise

Thanks, good read. Never knew what those were called.

"An old cowboy goes into a bar and orders a drink. As he sits there sipping his whiskey, a young lady sits down next to him. ... She says, 'I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about women. ...' A little while later, a couple sits down next to the old cowboy and asks him, 'Are you a real cowboy?' He replies, 'I always thought I was, but I just found out I'm a lesbian.'"

:yim_rolling_on_the_

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm, my post doesn't to anyone except me, or am I missing something?

Ok, so, let's see, what doesn't make sense?

When I said truth = logic I didn't mean it LITERALLY
It's like saying the potter = pottery (assuming that logic would actually be the tool of truth)

But aren't you making the potter more important, when you say, that him = the job ? Does it sound like he performs his job flawlessly, and that's why he got an "="

Thus, doesn't the = , make logic look more important, even though it doesn't make much sense at all, unless you look at it from a flexible and ambiguous point of view.

The sunflower is a symbol of math in nature, the seeds are distributed in a mathematical pattern, so this is why I posted it.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, my post doesn't to anyone except me, or am I missing something?

Ok, so, let's see, what doesn't make sense?

When I said truth = logic I didn't mean it LITERALLY
It's like saying the potter = pottery (assuming that logic would actually be the tool of truth)

But aren't you making the potter more important, when you say, that him = the job ? Does it sound like he performs his job flawlessly, and that's why he got an "="

Thus, doesn't the = , make logic look more important, even though it doesn't make much sense at all, unless you look at it from a flexible and ambiguous point of view.

The sunflower is a symbol of math in nature, the seeds are distributed in a mathematical pattern, so this is why I posted it.

Doesn't matter anyway.

The = sign means "equal" :newwink: