• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] truth = logic

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Power/strength = truth

image.php

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And you can take "Life is a string of possibilities " even further you can get to All possibilities come true in multiple universes.

Which sounds really nice, and adds more meaning even though it's just pure speculation.

Which results in: Everything comes true.

Every possible scenario, every possible outcome, is somewhere. Either an abstract or a concrete world.

I'd rather believe in this than in whatever "theism" means.

And there's also something very nice to this.

See, if there are an infinite amount of universes, or at least a so called infinite value of universes, then the possibility of life on Earth and an universe such as ours is no longer some rare and unlikely event, it becomes an outcome.

Which changes things even more.

Life itself has become a possible outcome, a conclusion.

And so on.

Connecting the dots, even the ones that may not exist.

And it still doesn't fail.

It stands up as a reasonable explanation to a lot if not everything.

Just a string of possibilities.

So, if we look into things a little deeper, everything becomes an effect of something else, a chain reaction of an apparently inter connected web.

Your arguements aint too bad but they suffer like all entp things from the lack of boundary conditions. Determinism is the philosophical belief that our lifes are just a cause-and-effect chain like they happen in Newtonian physics and that therefore free will was only an imagination. Quantum physics says that there are things, who can show the effect before the actual cause and therefore denied determinism (which was a bad adoption of physics into philosophy anyways).

But the real thing is: we are a race, who hasnt even seen an atom yet, because we dont have the equipment to do that. Would you trust a race that is at that point and claims to know about some kind of multiverse and universes moving against each other in some kind of dark stream ? I'ld be careful with that and therefore I'ld be careful with disbelieving in free will. So far free will is the biggest logic stopper we have and it does form the truth for us, paying no respect to things being a chain of events or not.

Being skeptical of science is what defines a scientist, believing everything it says is what defines religious people.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, my post doesn't to anyone except me, or am I missing something?

Ok, so, let's see, what doesn't make sense?

When I said truth = logic I didn't mean it LITERALLY
It's like saying the potter = pottery (assuming that logic would actually be the tool of truth)

But aren't you making the potter more important, when you say, that him = the job ? Does it sound like he performs his job flawlessly, and that's why he got an "="

Thus, doesn't the = , make logic look more important, even though it doesn't make much sense at all, unless you look at it from a flexible and ambiguous point of view.

The sunflower is a symbol of math in nature, the seeds are distributed in a mathematical pattern, so this is why I posted it.
Or the potter is potty?

Perhaps if you made your case using logic you'd have more success:-

(This statement is false)

G

garbage

What about logic as a way of structuring truth? Such structures help us make sense of the world and, in many cases, they also help us predict phenomena. That's pretty cool.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, logic is not truth. Logic is a system for determining truth. It can fail when provided insufficient data or when it uses the wrong formula for the problem.

redacted

Truth and logic are entirely different things.

Logic is a way of evaluating statements relative to other statements. It has nothing to say about the truth value of those statements except in relative terms.

xisnotx

Permabanned
truth=logic if and only if
logic=reality.

however, since;
logic=/=reality

then;

truth=reality=perception + faith.

and

logic=human attempt at understanding truth=/=truth
----------------------------------------------
OR
truth=/=reality

which I refuse to believe for the sake of my sanity.
IE
There is a spoon.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
truth=logic if and only if
logic=reality.

however, since;
logic=/=reality

then;

truth=reality=perception + faith.

and

logic=human attempt at understanding truth=/=truth
OR
truth=/=reality

which I refuse to believe for the sake of my sanity.
IE
There is a spoon.

The sign for unequal is still =! or <> :D

I like how you brought faith into the debate. Guess if people would believe in the existence of the giant rose elephant, he'ld play a pivotal role in quantum physics as well :D

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Logic certainly doesn't equal truth. For someone so enamoured with logic and mathematics, you wield the '=' symbol with wanton disregard for its precise meaning. Logic (by which I mean deductive logic) is intimately concerned with truth [both necessary and contingent--for Evan], but it is not, in and of itself, equal to truth.