• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are the differences between ENTJ & ENTP??

BookLady

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have met several people whom I thought were ENTP's but they have insisted they were ENTJ's.

Why did I think so? Because their homes had some of the 'chaos' I have witnessed in "P" homes and because these women seemed kind of all over the place, flexible etc, very friendly and outgoing.

Now, my uncle, mind you, is an ENTJ so I know what HE looks like...but can someone help me see why I am getting these women all wrong???

TIA...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ENTJ: Concentrated Evil

ENTP: Highly Combustible

Pick the one that suits your friends the best.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
ENTJs run the world, and ENTPs want to destroy it.

They both have evil laughs.

;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Anyway, while I'm supposed to be doing homework, I'll give you a serious answer.

The only way you're going to figure this out is if you compare the evidence.

"P" and "J" aren't functions but are a part of the shorthand that abbreviates for the functions.

ENTJ: Te, Ni, Se, Fi

and

ENTP: Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

As you can see, they're really quite different. Also, these create an archetype, something that is not going to fit any person perfectly, but you're looking for best fit, correct? You always are with MBTI, anyway...

But simply talking about P and J. A combination of functions will either orient towards gathering information (P) or making decision (J). Both types can do both, but one is generally more natural to each person, the usual mode of living. While a P type may be called upon to make a decision and then they do it, a J type will decide, decide, decide, decide, decide all the time whether outside forces tell them to or not because that's just how they function and find it easier to live.

All people will seem "P" sometimes, and all people will seem "J" sometimes. Generally, an ENTJ will seek to order things outside of them to suit a vision of what they think will 'work better.' ENTPs are more suited towards information gathering. It really has nothing to do with the appearance of 'chaos' (which, if they are ENTJ, there's likely a method to their madness) or outgoing and friendliness. The only thing I see there that might affect P versus J is 'flexibility,' though. A J type will generally seem less flexible than a P type, but also, there are situations where a J may allow for flexibility, or find the situation requiring flexibility inevitable and force themselves around it without too much fuss -- especially an NT, who can easily find a logical reason why something could not have been avoided, and will likely just suck it up and plough on through anyway.

How well do you really know them? Take a really good look at their habits. Also, if they're interested in MBTI, coerce them into a discussion about it, and find a way to point out your thoughts on their perceived type. They will likely have justification for whatever type they claim to be. If they could care less about MBTI and just took the test because you told them to, don't bring it up and continue silent observation.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
ENTJ: Concentrated Evil

ENTP: Highly Combustible

Pick the one that suits your friends the best.

Horrible description.

For one, all NT's are concentrated.

So youre basically just saying that ENTJs are more evil. Which is not true at all. I'd think ENTPs with their machievellian frame of mind are one of the most evil types.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Horrible description.

For one, all NT's are concentrated.

So youre basically just saying that ENTJs are more evil. Which is not true at all. I'd think ENTPs with their machievellian frame of mind are one of the most evil types.

I'd say that ENTPs would be more likely to have traces of nitroglycerin on them than ENTJs.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
ENTPs can pass as ENFPs on the surface. Once you look closer youll find a colder more rational mind. They're out of control just as ENFPs can be and seem to "flow" with things, but the ENTPs know what theyre doing and where they want to be heading. IME ENFP are just wacky and zany. Like ESFPs but more creative and dreamy.

ENTP - More loose. Open. Laid back.
ENTJ - More hard ass. Rigid.

Also ENTPs come in more variations than ENTJ. The ENTJs I know are all pretty much the same. Spitting out a hundred thoughts, barely giving you a chance to get a word in. Ive met ENTPs that range from the stereotypical hyper nut-jobs to more down to earth serious ones. Business savy ENTPs to total rebellious ENTPs.

Both ENTJ and ENTP are leaders. ENTP more the kind that takes you under their wing and convinces you the sky is green and he can walk on water. Theyre great at building followers out of others. ENTJ the kind that just tells you what to do. More like an ESTJ.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
For the record, Sakuraba, what of the introverted NTs?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
You may disagree with an ENTP but you'd find it hard to dislike him/her completely. You may not trust them completely either.

With an ENTJ, unless you like to be dominated, and agree with everything, chances are you'd find a part of them oppressive to be around. They probably couldn't care less if you like them or not.

That's your difference. ENTPs tend to be inclusive, exploring. ENTJs explore to decide; inclusion only comes if your value to them is clear.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
For the record, Sakuraba, what of the introverted NTs?

INT's are nerdy versions of the ENT's.

Stereotypical INTP character

screech_face.jpg

Stereotypical ENTP character

zack_morris.jpg

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I have a hard time believing Screech was introverted.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
IME INT's are dorks and can easily be ignored.

INTP supervisor was a huge push over. Let me dictate my own work. The two INTPs I know are both space cadets. Regardless of the introversion both were somewhat team players and liked helping others at work. ??? Weird for NTs. I assume theyre both of the social variant.

The INTJ I knew was hated by everyone. I myself am quite socially awkward but finesse and charm my way through interactions. This INTJ was a complete social retard. Everyone hated him. Didnt know him well, other than the fact that he thought I was his friend but in reality didnt care one way or other for him. It was entertaining watching everyone make fun of the guy and how he'd just sit there like it didnt bother him at all. It probably didnt. Again he wasn't even really on my radar. I do remember one thing though. How we planned to sabotage one of our supervisors...hahah...it was mainly my idea as a JOKE that I never planned on going through with and this INTJ took it serious and wanted to actually do it.

I could easily see how ENTP and INTJ could have a nice brainstorming + implentation partnership.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8

I see what youre sayin. But he was a CHARACTER afterall. Imagine Screech plus more autonomy/introversion. The overall nerdiness/goofiness/spaced outness was what I meant. He does remind me of the INTP socials I know. Steve Urkel would be another fictional INTP.

Variant plays a huge role. I'm soc-last but extroverted so it's weird. These INTP's I know are more social than I am, but not nearly as outgoing.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8

I don't.

Introversion does not mean youre quiet. Look at his character. First and foremost He's all about his own thoughts (Ti). Absolutely no socialbility or savyness at all, like his Extroverted counterpart Zach Morris. Who was more involved in other people, reading other people, social scheming, group leader, etc.

Just because Screech wasnt shown in the library and collecting insects that doesnt make him an extrovert.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
ENTJs run the world, and ENTPs want to destroy it.

They both have evil laughs.

;)
ENTPs sound like fun, I want one!!! :)

ENTPs can pass as ENFPs on the surface. Once you look closer youll find a colder more rational mind. They're out of control just as ENFPs can be and seem to "flow" with things, but the ENTPs know what theyre doing and where they want to be heading. IME ENFP are just wacky and zany. Like ESFPs but more creative and dreamy.
I find this description to be grossly innacurate and mildly offensive.

I wonder if people who do not get us tend to dismiss us as being nothing more than just, "wacky and zany".

ENFPs are chalk full of substance and insight. and I would say that we are pretty down-to-earth in our idealism. Perhaps you've never met an ENFP and consequently are projecting a false type description.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I could easily see how ENTP and INTJ could have a nice brainstorming + implentation partnership.

I know a lot of ENTPs. They're fun, I've got to admit.

INTJs are usually socially awkward but are oddly charismatic if they're motivated. It's a strange combination. If you get an INTJ to speak in front of people about something he loves, they won't know his social awkwarness, but get them in front of people who only see the social awkwardness on a usual basis and it's like an entirely different person.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
IME ENT's are loud, obnoxious and can easily be tuned out or marginalized.

ENTP* supervisor was a huge push over. Let me dictate my own work. The two ENTPs I know are both spastic and rarely let others get a word in. Regardless of the extraversion both were team players and liked helping others at work. I assume theyre both of the social variant.

fixed a few errors you missed in your stereotyping. no biggie :devil:

*based on actual events

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTPs have a dark side, that's clear. but ENTJs are the peak of evilness.

I know, i dated one
She was walking her friends home from a bar
and one of them drank too much
she threw up on herself,
and she couldn't stop laughing
this got me teary eyed
I miss her