• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are the differences between ENTJ & ENTP??

Algora J

IMHO, I think the primary difference between ENTJ/ENTP is really minor.

Since most of my female friends are both types, I would say that the most visible difference is that ENTJs are decisive and tend to move on very quickly after disappointment, to go to the next step, whereas, my ENTP friends rehash the past ad infinitum.

ENTPs live in a what-if world

ENTJs live in a this is now world

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ENTPs are, like, totally informative in communication and stuff, man.

ENTJs are directive.

I don't understand the descriptors (found mostly on this site) of ENTPs being manipulative, because as per Keirsey, those with informative communication have little or no desire to, you know, direct people.

From MBTI theory, ENTPs should be more obviously intuitives (dominant Ne) and ENTJs should be more obviously thinkers (dominant Te).

Also according to Keirsey, all Rationals are aloof, disengaged, and distant, so picking up on extroverted NTs can be a bit weird. I dunno where I was going with that, but yeah.

I've found that ENTJs are the most "Artisan-like" of the Rationals. The ones I know have a pretty big physical presence and can seem pretty tactical and business-savvy. This is probably due to tertiary Se.

That would make ENTPs the most "Idealist-like" Rationals with their tertiary Fe, although I honestly don't know many other ENTPs to have a basis of comparison. Personally speaking, I do have weird idealistic/political/humanitarian impulses, and I've been told I can be pretty "warm" -- whatever that means. I know Blackmail! can back me up here, he seems to have a similar humanitarian bent as me.

I also think, in general, ENTPs will have more of a "weird" and "quirky" vibe. ENTJs will seem more in control and like they have everything "together".

That's right. I agree completely.

Anyway, the issue could be solved by reading socionics ENTj and ENTp descriptions. Many milder ENTJ's might mistake themselves as ENTPs or ESTPs because they do not relate to the stark picture of the type given by most MBTI characterisation.

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have met several people whom I thought were ENTP's but they have insisted they were ENTJ's.

Why did I think so? Because their homes had some of the 'chaos' I have witnessed in "P" homes and because these women seemed kind of all over the place, flexible etc, very friendly and outgoing.

Now, my uncle, mind you, is an ENTJ so I know what HE looks like...but can someone help me see why I am getting these women all wrong???

TIA...

ENTJ's get ENTPish under heavy prolonged stress, so it's hard to judge.
The determining factor is introverted intuition.

Even harder is the secondary type of the ENTJ is ENFP, crazy and inspiring. So it's even harder.

I think ENTP's are ENTJ's and ENTJ's are ENTP's.

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
IMHO, I think the primary difference between ENTJ/ENTP is really minor.

Since most of my female friends are both types, I would say that the most visible difference is that ENTJs are decisive and tend to move on very quickly after disappointment, to go to the next step, whereas, my ENTP friends rehash the past ad infinitum.

ENTPs live in a what-if world

ENTJs live in a this is now world

ENTJ's go crazy on what ifs... introverted intuition, my friend. A whole bunch of what ifs in case the plan goes wrong.
If everything fails, nothing goes according to plan, they get intuition-crazy and live on what ifs.

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, in fact we are quite similar. The main difference in my opinion: ENTJs are much more efficient, but they can never really relax and have fun. I mean, even when they are having fun they have to have some purpose to it. Also, they love to give advice (preach) to other people (especially to ENTPs :rolli:) .
The principal investigator of our research group is ENTJ. Every two or three months she gives me THE SPEECH. It starts with how great researcher I am, but I have to focus and use my whole potential (which in her opinion I am not doing and it`s really a shame because I could be even more successful if I did). The talent is not enough, you need to work hard,...

To my defense I must say I am not lazy at all. I just can`t keep up with her frantic robotic tempo. I really admire her supernatural powers of concentration and infinite amounts of energy, but as an ENTP I just have to have my periods of procrastination to function normally. :D She accepted that because I have good results, but occasionally she still tries to convert me to ENTJ.:eek:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
obvioutsly people are trying to project their personality into mbti letters, thats never a good thing.

one difference is that entj trust logic and thorough exact planning, while entp trust experience and experimentation more.

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have met several people whom I thought were ENTP's but they have insisted they were ENTJ's.

Why did I think so? Because their homes had some of the 'chaos' I have witnessed in "P" homes and because these women seemed kind of all over the place, flexible etc, very friendly and outgoing.

Now, my uncle, mind you, is an ENTJ so I know what HE looks like...but can someone help me see why I am getting these women all wrong???

TIA...

ENTP's are ENTJ's gone crazy:devil:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am going to try to emphasize the core differences between ENTJ and ENTP from a more stereotypical PoV :D
----------------
ENTJ:

Zughund_heute.jpg

------
ENTP:

b26.jpg

----

:D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Someone should make an investigation on the distribution of bosses in the business and the mafia. I bet you find a fairly balanced ENTJ / ENTP distribution there, where the ENTP are somewaht in favour regarding the mafia :D.

But to differentiate ENTJ and ENTP through business and mafia, probably wont help to detect inequalities :D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd expect to find ENTP in more creative / strategic roles. Every single ENTJ I have ever met has been as creative as a brick.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd expect to find ENTP in more creative / strategic roles. Every single ENTJ I have ever met has been as creative as a brick.

then i would bet those were actaully eStj's...

what if i went around saying ENTPs were all idiots unless it came to a social scheme? it'd be wrong because thats actaully how i view eStp's :devil:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not-creative does not equal stupid. I have tremendous respect for ENTJ's, bordering on envy. They just seem rather conventional, though this could be from the vantage point of the totally unconventional ENTP's.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Yeah you are right "more creative", impish grin here :D.

No. Jokes aside:

I have no jurisdiction to call anyone being evil and I would never do so. I would like to find out more about ENTJ, but it's though to get to know them.

I find it intresting to compare ENTP and ENTJ and I hope the idea for such a comparison does not generate of them having 3 letters in common. Because the 4 functions the ENTJ is made of are completly different and therefore a comparison would lack any common ground. It would be two distinct individuals with two distinct qualities and the thread will end up in a whole mess.

I myself have never had any difficulties with ENTJ. I think, if both parties stay on the ground and focus on the real, there is a distinct quality to their meeting and as it is said "opposites attract", I've never encountered an ENTJ being so far off that I would go on the barricades.

! STOP CALLING ENTJ EVIL ! call them pussies that will hurt em more :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
it's though to get to know them.

You got that right. Cos you've gotta do something to 'merit' their attention, otherwise they just sweep their scan past you - "not a threat". Such as...

! STOP CALLING ENTJ EVIL ! call them pussies that will hurt em more :D

That works! Really, I'm almost coming to the conclusion that about the only way to become an ENTJ's friend is to first become their enemy, even just for a few minutes. Or make them realize you know shit they don't, make them want to know it, then hold it like a carrot just out of their reach... a bit like a prisoner who cuts a deal with the hangman at the last minute by suggesting that his wife, who gave birth to a kid 9 months after they married, wasn't a virgin when they were married, but that he'll need to let the guy live to show him the proof. Or something :laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You got that right. Cos you've gotta do something to 'merit' their attention, otherwise they just sweep their scan past you - "not a threat". Such as...

Good idea there. Maybe that is where finally the "Introverted Intuition" reveals itself