• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are the differences between ENTJ & ENTP??

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
ENTJs are funnier than ENTPs in my opinion

Depends on your preference of humor. My experience is that ENTJs tend to be witty, whereas ENTPs tend to be silly.

Electric

MBTI Type
entj
I find this ENTP to be quite hilarious. He always does this goofy things with his voice which the silliness is amplified by his Indian heritage. People have seen a similarity with him and Will Smith from Fresh Prince of Belair. Although, he is not as goodly intended. His jokes are funny, but they are true which can be quite disarming. It is a thing to laugh at a funny joke, but a different thing to laugh at a serious flaw. People have compared him to a monkey with a loaded gun on several occasions, and monkeys should not be wielding guns...

Anyways there's a big difference between ENTPs and ENTJs. If you cross an ENTP's path, the worst you will get is a terrible practical joke dumped on you. Like if you give an ENTP an undeserving grade or a harsh punishment, you can expect to see your car hauled and cemented to the school building roof. Even funnier, you might see your classroom furniture superglued upside down to the ceiling. All this can be a shocking experience as the ENTP really oned up you but at least you're still safe. You might even feel a level of respect at the hard work the ENTP put into his ingenious prank.

However, if you cross an ENTJ's path, you have done it now. Because of your ignorance and astounding boldness, you are deemed worthy of our time to DESTROY you. For who are you to us, insect? Get in our way and we will f**king KILL you! There is nothing for you to do to save yourself. All your efforts will be meaningless for we are legion, we are many.

Yeah. That's a basic difference I see between ENTPs and ENTJs. I would think ENTPs are more flexible to compromise.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
ENTPs are, like, totally informative in communication and stuff, man.

ENTJs are directive.

I don't understand the descriptors (found mostly on this site) of ENTPs being manipulative, because as per Keirsey, those with informative communication have little or no desire to, you know, direct people.

From MBTI theory, ENTPs should be more obviously intuitives (dominant Ne) and ENTJs should be more obviously thinkers (dominant Te).

Also according to Keirsey, all Rationals are aloof, disengaged, and distant, so picking up on extroverted NTs can be a bit weird. I dunno where I was going with that, but yeah.

I've found that ENTJs are the most "Artisan-like" of the Rationals. The ones I know have a pretty big physical presence and can seem pretty tactical and business-savvy. This is probably due to tertiary Se.

That would make ENTPs the most "Idealist-like" Rationals with their tertiary Fe, although I honestly don't know many other ENTPs to have a basis of comparison. Personally speaking, I do have weird idealistic/political/humanitarian impulses, and I've been told I can be pretty "warm" -- whatever that means. I know Blackmail! can back me up here, he seems to have a similar humanitarian bent as me.

I also think, in general, ENTPs will have more of a "weird" and "quirky" vibe. ENTJs will seem more in control and like they have everything "together".

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I have met several people whom I thought were ENTP's but they have insisted they were ENTJ's.

Why did I think so? Because their homes had some of the 'chaos' I have witnessed in "P" homes and because these women seemed kind of all over the place, flexible etc, very friendly and outgoing.

I don't think it's possible to pick P vs J based on how messy or disorganised someone is. There is a general tendency, sure, but it's not definitive. I have two managers - ENTJ and IXFP (she's an extreme P). The ENTJ is very decisive and action-oriented - he makes quick decisions on the spot. His desk rivals the messiness of mine, and he's the one person you can be sure will lose his tickets/passport/cell phone whenever he travels for work. The IXFP can take months and months to make a decision. However, her desk is extremely tidy and spartan (as is her house) and she will never lose things when she travels.

The two INTPs I know are both space cadets. Regardless of the introversion both were somewhat team players and liked helping others at work. ??? Weird for NTs. I assume theyre both of the social variant.

The bolded bit is what I'm like at work. *shrug*

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ENTPs can pass as ENFPs on the surface. Once you look closer youll find a colder more rational mind. They're out of control just as ENFPs can be and seem to "flow" with things, but the ENTPs know what theyre doing and where they want to be heading. IME ENFP are just wacky and zany. Like ESFPs but more creative and dreamy.

I find this description to be grossly innacurate and mildly offensive.

I wonder if people who do not get us tend to dismiss us as being nothing more than just, "wacky and zany".

ENFPs are chalk full of substance and insight. and I would say that we are pretty down-to-earth in our idealism. Perhaps you've never met an ENFP and consequently are projecting a false type description.

I agree with Captainchick.

It's quite tiring to see this unaccurate ENFP stereotype repeated over and over gain. ENFPs are not some kind of old kids, "wacky and zany": Always remember they are idealists, they have values, and thus, a strong sense of ethics.
And usually, they are very serious about them.

Yes, they are lively and tolerant. But do not confuse these traits with superficiality or a lack of purpose.

Both ENTJ and ENTP are leaders. ENTP more the kind that takes you under their wing and convinces you the sky is green and he can walk on water. Theyre great at building followers out of others. ENTJ the kind that just tells you what to do. More like an ESTJ.

As an ENTP, I don't feel the urge to lead people. And I guess Nemo will agree with me.
I like to inspire people, or to be the eminence grise sometimes, but I'm definitely not a born leader. I respect individuality far too much. Who am I to order people to conform to my own subjectives rules?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I agree with Captainchick.
As an ENTP, I don't feel the urge to lead people. And I guess Nemo will agree with me.
I like to inspire people, or to be the eminence grise sometimes, but I'm definitely not a born leader. I respect individuality far too much. Who am I to order people to conform to my own subjectives rules?

Well, there's nothing wrong with ordering people around if you're right.

That's what they think, anyway.

INTJ would be "Just trust me on this one..." and INTP would be "Well, we could do this or this or this or this or this ... Shit! There are other people here?!"

The point is that ENTJs are more dangerous in the I-shall-take-control-of-the-situation-and-declare-Marshall-law situation way, while ENTPs are more dangerous in the Oh-lookie-what-I-found-weapons-grade-uranium-let's-have-some-fun-with-it sort of way. And yes, those are totally technical terms.

Apologizing for silliness. I'm very, very tired...

Meatbot

MBTI Type
INTP
For who are you to us, insect?
I'm on to you, Electric. Expressing your actual evil-ENTJ thoughts knowing everyone will think it's a joke! Brilliant! It's like Dooku telling Obi-Wan that the Emperor was really in charge. He knew Obi would never believe it and he'd be able to have himself a good chuckle over it. Mwuuuuhahahahahahaha!

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
ENTJ evil:

300px-Villianc.svg.png

ENTP evil:

21477BP~Wile-E-Coyote-Posters.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The funny thing is that I have that exact picture of Snidely Whiplash in a 45-minute presentation I have to do...

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Anyways there's a big difference between ENTPs and ENTJs. If you cross an ENTP's path, the worst you will get is a terrible practical joke dumped on you. Like if you give an ENTP an undeserving grade or a harsh punishment, you can expect to see your car hauled and cemented to the school building roof. Even funnier, you might see your classroom furniture superglued upside down to the ceiling. All this can be a shocking experience as the ENTP really oned up you but at least you're still safe. You might even feel a level of respect at the hard work the ENTP put into his ingenious prank.

However, if you cross an ENTJ's path, you have done it now. Because of your ignorance and astounding boldness, you are deemed worthy of our time to DESTROY you. For who are you to us, insect? Get in our way and we will f**king KILL you! There is nothing for you to do to save yourself. All your efforts will be meaningless for we are legion, we are many.

Yeah. That's a basic difference I see between ENTPs and ENTJs. I would think ENTPs are more flexible to compromise.

Gotta disagree here.

ENTPs are the types that will bang your girlfriend, get it on videotape, and play it on a big screen TV infront of your co-workers when you least expect it. Or even somehow arrange to have it shown at the local bar they know youll be at with your buddies, just to humiliate you. What could possibly be worst than that.

Socionics has a good blurb on them:

ENTps are far from angels. Don't be fooled by their clumsiness, spaced-out behaviour and over-friendliness. Behind it all is a very cold rational mind

If you let an ENTp openly know that you do not like them, you will probably earn yourself the title of enemy #1. And beware to have them as an enemy. ENTps are great masters of tricks and deceits, often more than ESTps, and what's more they do it in a very skilful manner. ENTps are masters of arrangement and sharp psychoanalysts, able to foresee exactly how others can react to a situation. They can turn the whole world against you, if you are not careful. ENTps also have the unique ability to make a deal with their conscience. They can successfully justify almost any wrong doing, thus ensuring that they will sleep well at night.

they are quick and shrewd in day to day matters, taking advantage of every opportunity that arises. Because of this others may consider them to be crafty or shifty.

The other main peculiarity of ENTps behaviour is the ability to mobilise in extreme conditions. If somebody puts pressure on them they immediately counterattack, often with more than equal force.

One more peculiarity is the element of chaos and destruction that ENTps bring to every field of their activity. This is especially noticeable in well established institutions where strong discipline is commonplace. However, they implement this chaotic element creatively, generating reform from the destruction. Because of this quality ENTps often become leaders.

Dont get me wrong. I know ENTJs can be bulldozers. But if I had a choice, I'd rather take an earfull of ENTJ insults than what some ENTPs might be capable of.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
ENTPs are the types that will bang your girlfriend, get it on videotape, and play it on a big screen TV infront of your co-workers when you least expect it. Or even somehow arrange to have it shown at the local bar they know youll be at with your buddies, just to humiliate you. What could possibly be worst than that.
WTF?????

You're joking, right?

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Nope.

ENTPs can be nasssssssssty when they want to. Dont listen to everything these trekkies tell you. I assume most of them are mistyped enFps anyways.

ENTPs are also masters of starting rumors that are completely false and somehow pulling off Oscar award winning performances to convince others that they're true. ie. "I saw Greg french-kissing some gay guy in his car when I went to the parking lot to get my wallet from the car". HaHa. They're also clever enough to somehow shift the blame on one of their other enemies (killing two birds with one stone) so that it looks like they weren't even the one who made up the rumor. Or even worst, an ENTP would find a picture of 'Greg' and photoshop it so that it looks like he really is kissing a gay guy inside a car... then the ENTP would post it up all over the entire neighbourhood. Or find out the guys address and mail the picture to his parents house, making his own mom and dad think he's a queer. Then the ENTP would make a deal with their conscience thinking "hey, he deserved it".

And they'll run with it forever and convince ppl of things so easily. "ENTPs will turn the whole world against you, if you are not careful". Yea, that's pretty accurate. These are the types that could make you want to quit your job, move to a new city, and change your name. And unlike other things in life, ENTPs are relentless when it comes to challenge or one upmanship.

Again not all ENTP are like that. But some are. Some of them LOVE conflict and become obsessed with revenge. Though they certainly are more easy going than ENTJs. You wouldnt want to cross an unhealthy ENTP's path and make enemies with them. They'll do a whole lot more than just superglue your shoes to the ceiling. They'll ruin you.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
and since they are "masters of arrangement and sharp psychoanalysts, able to foresee exactly how others can react to a situation" the ENTPs will usually be a good 3-4 steps ahead of their enemy.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It sounds like somebody had a bad experience with an ENTP.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
No. I'm probably ENTP. and I know how I think and what I'm capable of. Also have two really good ENTP friends and have seen them engaged in "revenge mode" on others. It's not pretty, but it's funny.

The whole "ENTPs are like the mad scientist from the movie Back To The Future" stereotype is rubbish.

What does an ENTJ do when you cross their path? "RAWR I AM KING! I MUST KILL YOU!"...Boo Fuckin Hoo. What if the ENTJ were genetically predisposed to be 5'6 and 140lbs. They'll get laughed at.

A lot of Te-dominant people are way more bark than bite (estj's especially). ENTP are the opposite... theyre the wolves in sheeps clothing. A lot more bite than bark. and the ENTP is clever enough that you might not even know it was them who bit you.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
No. I'm probably ENTP. and I know how I think and what I'm capable of. Also have two really good ENTP friends and have seen them engaged in "revenge mode" on others. It's not pretty.

The whole "ENTPs are like the mad scientist from the movie Back To The Future" stereotype is rubbish.

Tertiary Fe is likely something one does not want to cross, I agree. Fe can be terrible when scorned in and of itself, but in the tertiary position I can imagine it as a terror. There's got to be some good in there, too, though, somewhere...

And I've heard that Doc Brown as being typed as INTJ.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Tertiary Fe is likely something one does not want to cross, I agree. Fe can be terrible when scorned in and of itself, but in the tertiary position I can imagine it as a terror. There's got to be some good in there, too, though, somewhere...

And I've heard that Doc Brown as being typed as INTJ.

It's the Ne+Ti combination that's so deadly. Making them creative, clever, unpredictable, strategic, plotting, always seeing new possibilities and new ways or tormenting someone, analysts able to see exactly how others will react to something.

The tertiary Fe does add a charming/manipulative quality though. So theyre the ultimate at crushing their prey and looking as if they did nothing wrong.

Again, ENTPs are usually healthy and happy enough to not go to these extremes. Like all the other NT's, theyll usually just shrug obnoxious people off and think of them as "typical idiots". But if they feel it's justified, there is no law or moral that will stop them from doing what they gotta do to become "one up" on an enemy.