• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Mathematical equations and formulas

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hey guys ..

I would like to know what your all time favourite mathematical equation/formula is.

I have been looking at Euler's Equation and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle but then i like the skeletal formula of Serotonin .. I need some inspiration as i want something that can explain so much of what we are made of, of who we are and of how far we've come and who better to ask than you guys. It needs to be aesthetically pleasing also.

Thanks in advance.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
-1 + 1 = 0

0 = -x + x

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Soh Cah Toa

its the one I have found the most useful

N

NPcomplete

Euler's beautiful and Bernoulli's equation rocks! There's also the quadratic formula. So simple and yet, essential. *sigh*

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The formula for warp speed. ds^2=-dt^2+(dx-vsf(rs)dt)^2

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ΔE = W + Q + E

E is the change in energy in a system, W is work, Q is heat transfer, E is additional energy put into the system from outside

Force = Torque / (r*sin(θ))

r is distance from the torque to the object to which it is applied, θ is angle between force vector & r

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Soh Cah Toa

its the one I have found the most useful

I guess I will extrpolate mine

Sin = Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent

Nothing special, it just comes in handy when calculating dimensions while building things.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
equation for torque makes my world go round

[none of the possible puns intended]

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MegaMe = NunYa :yim_rolling_on_the_

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've always hated equations. Memorizing boring shit that I don't care about. If I had to pick one I'd go with f'(x) = (limit as h approaches 0) f(x+h) - f(x) / h (the function for derivatives) because derivatives and integrals are awesome concepts, and that equation is less about memorizing what numbers go where than it is about understanding larger ideas. I really like related rates but can't quite remember how to do them.

Le Grande Muffin

I cannot be certain of your choice (as in which equation thee mean) perhaps you could explain to us, which & why you like it so....

That aside I have had a bit of a thinky on this one and I am with _poki...but i wonder who really came up with it, certainly not Pythagoras...reason being I have a bity of a problem with proving the more complex...simply put, as my great uncle says whats the difference between how and why - which resulted in a discussion on, hydrogen, logarithmic tables, religion - his, I am not, that is no secret

as for equations, dosnt mean we are clever, it only means, they are, to some:
Musical notes
A paint brush
A pen on paper

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
e^(i*Pi)+1=0 "e to the I times Pi plus one equals zero"

btw, there are at least two "eulers formula" out there, the complex numbers one {e^i*theta=cis(theta)]}, and the ?topology? one V+E-F=2 or whatnot

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Thanks guys for your input.

[MENTION=13589]mal12345[/MENTION] .. Thank you so much for your contribution. For the last day i have been on a mind trip finding out as much as possible about space, time travel and warp speed. It's been fun researching this although my brain may explode as i now have more questions but regardless :)

I cannot be certain of your choice (as in which equation thee mean) perhaps you could explain to us, which & why you like it so....

That aside I have had a bit of a thinky on this one and I am with _poki...but i wonder who really came up with it, certainly not Pythagoras...reason being I have a bity of a problem with proving the more complex...simply put, as my great uncle says whats the difference between how and why - which resulted in a discussion on, hydrogen, logarithmic tables, religion - his, I am not, that is no secret

as for equations, dosnt mean we are clever, it only means, they are, to some:
Musical notes
A paint brush
A pen on paper

OK, i enjoy going with an idea (mathematical equations in this case) and seeing where it goes, if i end up taking a hard left to go down a different avenue then i am in my element. When i look at an equation, if i find it aesthetically pleasing then i'll do my research even if it doesn't have any true relevance in my day to day life.

I posted the idea here because you NT's seem to absorb knowledge and retain in a way i can not. I find it endearing on your part even if i may come across as blonde etc for making the initial enquiry.

And you did it at the end :D .. You gave me another way to look at something, i appreciate that.

Lol, i answered your question in part.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Thanks guys for your input.

[MENTION=13589]mal12345[/MENTION] .. Thank you so much for your contribution. For the last day i have been on a mind trip finding out as much as possible about space, time travel and warp speed. It's been fun researching this although my brain may explode as i now have more questions but regardless :)

Try searching for "alcubierre metric".

I like a billion of equations:

- Laplace transformations
- Fourier, Gauss, Fibonacci
- limits and l'hospital
- homogenous and inhomogenous solutions to DEQs
- Imaginary eqns and the e-function
- steam generator eqns and movement eqns

Alltime favs are those:

lim n->inf. 1/x = 0

i^2 = -1

xy' + y = 0 <=> y = C/x

168335497e85d7e80fc3d8865d5ba6ff.png
(Maxwell)

8f7b4903ea14c8c1b9e3f5874c073b82.png
(2nd law of thermodynamics)

1bb51e235b42450a5cb7648966aaee05.png
(black hole entropy)

The only field I dislike is game theory. I never really could make my head around that.

But my all time fav is a text written by Titus Lucretius Carus 55 before Christ a roman philosoph, which in essence said that all objects behave the same in a 'void' or vacuum. Given the time it was written, it is questionable if they even knew what a vacuum was. He said in his book that nothing exists per se except for atoms and the void:

„Wer nun etwa vermeint, die schwereren Körper, die senkrecht
Rascher im Leeren versinken, vermöchten von oben zu fallen
Auf die leichteren Körper und dadurch die Stöße bewirken,
Die zu erregen vermögen die schöpferisch tätigen Kräfte:
Der entfernt sich gar weit von dem richtigen Wege der Wahrheit.
Denn was immer im Wasser herabfällt oder im Luftreich,
Muß, je schwerer es ist, um so mehr sein Fallen beeilen,
Deshalb, weil die Natur des Gewässers und leichteren Luftreichs
Nicht in der nämlichen Weise den Fall zu verzögern imstand ist,
Sondern im Kampfe besiegt vor dem Schwereren schneller zurückweicht:
Dahingegen vermöchte das Leere sich niemals und nirgends
Wider irgendein Ding als Halt entgegenzustellen,
Sondern es weicht ihm beständig, wie seine Natur es erfordert.
Deshalb müssen die Körper mit gleicher Geschwindigkeit alle
Trotz ungleichem Gewicht durch das ruhende Leere sich stürzen (...)“

For if anyone happens to believe
that heavier bodies, since they are carried
straight down though empty space more rapidly,
could hit the lighter ones from up above
and in this way generate collisions,
which could then create productive motions,
he is moving backwards and is far removed
from truthful reasoning. For all objects
which sink through water, even through thin air,
must, depending on their weight, move faster
in this fall, since the material substance
in water and the nature of thin air
can hardly hold back each thing equally:
heavier bodies will overpower them,
and they will move aside more rapidly.
But, by contrast, an empty space cannot
hold back a single thing at any time
or any place, since it keeps giving way,
as its own nature forces it to do.
That is why all bodies set in motion,
even though their weights may be unequal,
must be carried through unresisting void
at the same rate.

sculpting

hmm.

I love linear algebra and matrices because you can capture so much information all at once-Tensors are absoluetely heavenly. I also am totally head over heels in love with fourier and laplace transforms. The idea that you take an insurmountable problem, step into a different space, solve it very easily, then step back again is very delightful to me. I found diff eq to be very pragmatic and appealing-start from the problem, decsribe it, then work backwards to find equations that can predict things moving forward.

I totally dug the parts of PChem involving taking ideal equations-like the gas laws or thermo stuff-and then adding correction factors to make them real.

imainary d-orbitals were beautiful as well. so, not really equations, but just beautiful math stuff I guess!!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The classic E=mc². Simple and deadly effective.

shoshana

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
Euler's beautiful and Bernoulli's equation rocks! There's also the quadratic formula. So simple and yet, essential. *sigh*

OMG YOU STOLE MINEEE

BERNOULLI's equation for sure. and Darcy's law.

most useful equations for anyone studying hydrology or hydrogeology :B